Would it look back to quit my job as a scribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phlebotomer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time lurker here...

I'm planning on applying to DO schools next year and am currently working as an ER Scribe. I've only worked for about 6 months so far but I'm having trouble balancing school. Everything about being a scribe is awesome but it's difficult working late night shifts and having to drive for an hour to get to the hospital and back...

My question is... would it look bad on my application if they see that I quit being a scribe after only 6 months? I really need to raise my GPA before I apply! The hospital I work at is really flexible and doesn't care if the scribes leave or come back later because they get so many applicants every month. What should I do??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying to DO schools next year and am currently working as an ER Scribe. I've only worked for about 6 months so far but I'm having trouble balancing school. Everything about being a scribe is awesome but it's difficult working late night shifts and having to drive for an hour to get to the hospital and back...

My question is... would it look bad on my application if they see that I quit being a scribe after only 6 months? I really need to raise my GPA before I apply! The hospital I work at is really flexible and doesn't care if the scribes leave or come back later because they get so many applicants every month. What should I do??

It won't look as bad as if your GPA sucks because you couldn't handle work and school. Don't sacrifice your GPA for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think med schools will ask about it? since most people work for 1-2 years? My current cumulative is around 3.4 and science gpa is about 3.25. I'm really hoping for 4.0 GPAs for the two semesters I have left before I apply next year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think med schools will ask about it? since most people work for 1-2 years? My current cumulative is around 3.4 and science gpa is about 3.25. I'm really hoping for 4.0 GPAs for the two semesters I have left before I apply next year...

You have a legitimate reason even if they do ask about it.

Sigh... I have been trying to get work as a scribe for months with no luck! I would take your job in a heart beat, OP.
To answer your question, good GPA >>>>> completing 1 year commitment to work as a scribe. Your 6 months experience should give you plenty to talk about.

Give them proper notice and it sounds like you'll be fine.

Admissions won't care. I had two jobs on my application that lasted only 2-3 months each. One of them I was fired from and the other I left because I lost interest. I was never asked anything about any of my jobs. Only my numbers and my clinical experience.

Thanks everyone for the response, I feel so much better! Already spoke to the chief scribe, I'll be finished working after September! Good luck everyone with interviews/applications!

It won't look as bad as if your GPA sucks because you couldn't handle work and school. Don't sacrifice your GPA for anything.

No, and you should concentrate on school before work.

+1.

Also, I've always wondered, how do you get a job as an ER scribe? What qualifications do you need?

+1.

Also, I've always wondered, how do you get a job as an ER scribe? What qualifications do you need?

I think its different depending on where you are and what company you apply to. I worked with Scribe America and had just one interview. They picked 4 people out of 20 that were interviewed and trained us for 2 weeks on medical terminology. After that, we were given a test and had to get 80% or higher to pass. Three out of the four of us passed.

I recommend you just use google and find out if there is a scribe program near you.

I think its different depending on where you are and what company you apply to. I worked with Scribe America and had just one interview. They picked 4 people out of 20 that were interviewed and trained us for 2 weeks on medical terminology. After that, we were given a test and had to get 80% or higher to pass. Three out of the four of us passed.

I recommend you just use google and find out if there is a scribe program near you.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Same situation here you guys!

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about quiting my job at ScribeAmerica that I started working in January. I am scared of it will look bad that I quit just in 4 months. Some reasons I want to quit include: 1) I drive 45-60 mins without traffic (with traffic it could be more than 1 hour) 2) I am pregnant and due in 1 months. 3)This job is making me more stressed than I need to be. 4) I don't think I want to become a doctor or physician assistant anymore because I want to take care of my kid and have a healthy life. With all my will I want to do it, but these crazy hours are making it unbearable. Also, the pay ($8 an hour) it really sucks and it's not feeling like it's worth it anymore. Please help me out.

Same situation here you guys!

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about quiting my job at ScribeAmerica that I started working in January. I am scared of it will look bad that I quit just in 4 months. Some reasons I want to quit include: 1) I drive 45-60 mins without traffic (with traffic it could be more than 1 hour) 2) I am pregnant and due in 1 months. 3)This job is making me more stressed than I need to be. 4) I don't think I want to become a doctor or physician assistant anymore because I want to take care of my kid and have a healthy life. With all my will I want to do it, but these crazy hours are making it unbearable. Also, the pay ($8 an hour) it really sucks and it's not feeling like it's worth it anymore. Please help me out.

I would follow the advice above and quit. Your health is more important. Just give them 2 weeks or whatever is necessary and good luck with the pregnancy! That's a legitimate reason for wanting to quit!

I just quit my scribing job after 7 months to focus on mcat and a summer class. Just try to go out on good terms and it shouldn't matter. Having left after a few weeks/months may have raised an eyebrow or two, but 6 months is a solid amount of time working such job and getting exposure.

Before you leave, make sure to network and ask for references! People understand if you need to focus on school and won't hold it against you and are often quick to help!

My question is... would it look bad on my application if they see that I quit being a scribe after only 6 months? I really need to raise my GPA before I apply! The hospital I work at is really flexible and doesn't care if the scribes leave or come back later because they get so many applicants every month. What should I d

I quit my Scribe position after a summer of doing it because it was to much with school and athletics. I was still successful this cycle so I don't think it is a very big deal at all. Like others have said GPA is more important.

I would follow the advice above and quit. Your health is more important. Just give them 2 weeks or whatever is necessary and good luck with the pregnancy! That's a legitimate reason for wanting to quit!

Thank you so much for the reply!