Would it look bad to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkaglew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not reapply the year following no acceptances to beef up? I have no acceptances yet, but there are still some possibilities. Anyway I want to have a game plan in case I don't get in.

I was thinking of not reapplying and studying to retake the MCAT, as it is likely what is holding me back. I know I need to do other things in the meantime, so I was planning on taking some upper level bio classes and retaking g chem 1 and 2 (C and C+, retaking to help with MCAT). I would also work to save money, continue to volunteer and shadow etc...

Anyway, will taking that gap year make a difference? I could always just reapply and add some DO schools. I have nothing against going DO, but I think if I took the year off I would be able to save money and be a better candidate for both DO and MD.

Members don't see this ad.

A stronger verbal score and lack of regular (weekly) nonmedical/noncampus community service would be the two areas where you could use improvement (from reviewing your backposts). Hopefully you have a decent amount of shadowing by now, though you were lacking it when you applied.

Did your GPA and BCPM rise further over this last academic year?

The gap year would not be held against you. It would be much worse to have to apply a third time due to not having made sufficient improvements before a second try.

Yes, I have increased shadowing, but I could do more. VR and nonmedical volunteering are where I need to improve as well. Both of these I will do if needed.

My BPCM GPA went up .04, and my CGPA went up .02, but it might go back down .02 this semester. So pretty much nothing changed there.

But in my year off I plan to take biochem (was told not having this was bad at an interview) as well as retaking G chem 1 and 2. I'll probably take an upper level physiology as well.

This semester I started volunteering as a peer tutor 2 hrs a week. Is that considered non-medical volunteering, or would that be viewed more as a teaching experience?

Thanks cat!

SU- GPA > 3.75 MCAT is 29

Members don't see this ad :)