Would it look unprofessional to tour optometry schools with my parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briley328

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to tour the optometry school that I want to go to soon, and my parents want to come with me. This is not an interview or anything like that - it's simply touring the campus. That being said, would my parents coming along appear unprofessional? I don't want to come off as being a sophomore in college who isn't independent. My parents are planning to pay for part of my optometry schooling, so I don't think I could keep both of them from coming. Would just taking one parent look better than two, though? Or would it even really matter that much since it's just a generic tour?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all! I mean I guess it might depend on which school it is, but even then, it should be fine. I interviewed at NECO, PUCO, and ICO, and there were parents at all but NECO's interview day (which, the way the structured it, doesn't really allow for parents to follow along as well anyways). So especially if it's just a tour, you should be good.

I, as well as many others brought my mom along with me to my interviews! Most places have a separate parent schedule with tours and such. So just a visit would for sure be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
nope! i met a whole bunch of awesome parents at every interview, and i enjoyed having them there. i even made my parents go to a school tour without me cause i was out of town. parents rock.

Personal opinion, but I don't think you need your parents with you for a professional school interview, high school to undergraduate is a little different, but that's just me. I wouldn't bring my parents to a big time job interview so why is professional school any different? But... if they are outright paying for it I guess you don't have a choice. The decision should be completely your own and if you do gain acceptance, I think then it is more appropriate to have your parents tour the school.

Reactions: 1 user
From personal experience, when I asked schools if parents were allowed they said absolutely yes! They actually enjoy having parents attend. When making a decision this big, it's nice to have another person with you to get their opinion. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my mom only offered her thoughts when asked. For my interviews I attended the parents are separated and have all their own agenda. The interviewers never see you together and would have no idea your parents are present. I would say roughly 75% had someone with them at the interview. So don't feel bad if you'd like someone with you!

Personal opinion, but I don't think you need your parents with you for a professional school interview, high school to undergraduate is a little different, but that's just me. I wouldn't bring my parents to a big time job interview so why is professional school any different? But... if they are outright paying for it I guess you don't have a choice. The decision should be completely your own and if you do gain acceptance, I think then it is more appropriate to have your parents tour the school.
OP is talking about just school tours, not interviews. I agree with you on the interview part-- didn't invite mine cause I knew they would be distracting and unneeded.

Reactions: 1 users
OP is talking about just school tours, not interviews. I agree with you on the interview part-- didn't invite mine cause I knew they would be distracting and unneeded.

I was assuming a tour of the school when interviews were taking place. Read the paragraph fast, thanks for the correction! :)

I was assuming a tour of the school when interviews were taking place. Read the paragraph fast, thanks for the correction! :)
that's what i thought! but your honesty prob will help someone else so thanks for that!

To OP, I don't think schools look down on having your parents come with you to tours, since it is a pretty big life decision of yours and they probably want to know where you might be spending the next four years of your life. But maybe just tell your parents beforehand not to ask too many tricky questions that slow down the tour group - that's what my dad did. It was pretty embarrassing at the time but didn't affect my chances of admission at the school, I still got in :D

This.

For the love of God do not bring parents to interviews (not at OP, but anyone reading this thread). At this stage everyone is a big boy/girl and doesn't need mommy's hand. There was one kid at one of my interviews who brought his mom and I thought that was ridiculous.

This.

For the love of God do not bring parents to interviews (not at OP, but anyone reading this thread). At this stage everyone is a big boy/girl and doesn't need mommy's hand. There was one kid at one of my interviews who brought his mom and I thought that was ridiculous.

Regardless of whether you think it's ridiculous or not, it's fairly common. I've been to interviews at multiple schools and at all of them with the exception of one (where there were only 4 interviewees) there were at least 2 parents and the school had a schedule just for the parents/guests.

i was at a PCO interview where one of the interviewee's brought their father. PCO is probably much more relaxed than other schools, but regardless, it was awkward when his phone was going off during presentations. you're an adult, learn to do adult things on your own.

This.

Regardless of whether you think it's ridiculous or not, it's fairly common. I've been to interviews at multiple schools and at all of them with the exception of one (where there were only 4 interviewees) there were at least 2 parents and the school had a schedule just for the parents/guests.

I think a tour is a little different if it is completely separate from the interview. However, having been out of undergrad for a few years and agreeing with Mark2K8, I think at some point you have to make a decision completely on your own without the influence of mom and dad and grow up.