would like advice as to my next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homework123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just found out about this forum, and wish I'd had come here sooner...anyways, I respected what everyone was saying, and wanted some advice to my situation as well (it won't be pretty at all...):

I had a 2.0 gpa for 4 years as an undergrad in gen. bio. One day i snapped out of my stupor and realized the privilege of attending a university and started studying, taking all upper bio classes for a 5th year plus the summer (about 15 extra classes) and received all A's, raising my gpa to 2.5. Unfortunately, i'd already taken so many classes by now to raise it too much...

i also took my mcats and received a 35S.

I guess my question is, in order to pursue a medical career from here (i know, my situation is pretty bad...), what should be my next step? i know most post bacs only accept gpas over 2.7, and i don't think getting a masters would help much. should I withold from graduating undergrad and petition to take more classes as an undergrad (i've already passed the maximum units allowed...but petitioning might give me a few more classes), or if my petition doesn't work, should i apply to post bac programs that don't have a minimum gpa requirements? Or, should I enroll in a community college and retake some science courses? And should I retake my mcats to get a 35+ score?

thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I just found out about this forum, and wish I'd had come here sooner...anyways, I respected what everyone was saying, and wanted some advice to my situation as well (it won't be pretty at all...):

I had a 2.0 gpa for 4 years as an undergrad in gen. bio. One day i snapped out of my stupor and realized the privilege of attending a university and started studying, taking all upper bio classes for a 5th year plus the summer (about 15 extra classes) and received all A's, raising my gpa to 2.5. Unfortunately, i'd already taken so many classes by now to raise it too much...

i also took my mcats and received a 35S.

I guess my question is, in order to pursue a medical career from here (i know, my situation is pretty bad...), what should be my next step? i know most post bacs only accept gpas over 2.7, and i don't think getting a masters would help much. should I withold from graduating undergrad and petition to take more classes as an undergrad (i've already passed the maximum units allowed...but petitioning might give me a few more classes), or if my petition doesn't work, should i apply to post bac programs that don't have a minimum gpa requirements? Or, should I enroll in a community college and retake some science courses? And should I retake my mcats to get a 35+ score?

thanks guys.

There are two options: MD and DO.

If DO, you have much less work to do, since their application system (AACOMAS) uses a grade forgiveness system. What this means is that when you retake a given course, the AACOMAS system will only compute your newest grade into your GPA. So, this effectively provides a faster way to "raise" your GPA. From 5 years of work, assuming your 5th year and summer had some retaken courses, you should be able to "raise" your GPA further. If not, well, then just retake courses (IMO, anything C or below for prereqs) as a non-degree candidate. Let's say by this system, you can raise your GPA to 3.0. With a 3.0/35, you are a solid candidate for DO, and you are a stellar interview away from gaining acceptance.

If MD, I think there are a lot of years of work ahead. The MD application system (AMCAS) does not employ grade forgiveness. Instead, they average your retaken grades, so it is a slower climb of the GPA. But, you would have to continue taking courses as you are, maybe even do a second, albeit accelerated bachelors, to pull that GPA up to at least 2.8. Then, with your 35S in hand, you can apply to SMP programs and get into something somewhere. A stellar SMP GPA (3.75+) should land you in an MD program somewhere in the US. This whole process will cost a lot more and probably require an additional 2 or 3 years than the DO route.

For more information on MD vs. DO, you can check out the various threads discussing their differences here on the network. Note that both MDs and DOs practice medicine, which (I hope) is your ultimate goal.