Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Would like input from current or past MCPHS-Worcester students please

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by pharmforme, Nov 30, 2005.

1. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all!

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while. I am in the process of applying to MCPHS-Worcester for their accelerated 3 yr PharmD program and desperately need input from those who've experienced it.
    I've done many searches here, and keep running into negative comments of their program with a few recurring problems:
    1. VERY few of the comments are from actual students/alumni of this program...I seem to see more comments that are "I heard" or "a friend of a friend". I feel uncomfortable making a judgement on a school based on that kind of thing.
    2. Alot of the comments don't specify which MCPHS campus they are referring to. I cannot really use the info from MCPHS-Boston as it is not accelerated, and is basically completely different.

So, I am asking two things. If any of you WHO ARE CURRENT OR FORMER STUDENTS OF MCPHS-Worcester could help me by providing input about the program, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows if an official website exists that I can find the specifics necessary - e.g. matriculation/graduation #'s, retention rate, withdrawal rate etc. I also hear rumors of probation which appear unfounded. Anyone know where I can find out the FACTS about this?

Very much appreciated! I look forward to getting to know you all in the next several years. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Moving to pre-pharmacy as this is a pre-admissions advising question. The pharmacy forum is for issues relevant to current students and practitioners. Current students who want to provide information to applicants do read both forums.

- Anna :)

4. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Anna-
    Thanks for the explanation but seems a little odd to me...why would a current student ever visit the Pre-Pharmacy?
    Oh, well. :D

5. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Its more for separation of thoughts and ideas, rather than separation of users. I think most people visit both forums.

6. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks Someguy. It's not lookin like that though...unless the MCPHS-Worcester students are so busy they don't have time to visit this site at all :)

7. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    HA! 90% of the people on this site are in California, it seems. So your odds are already skewed. :laugh:

8. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm a first year at MCPHS-Worcester. The school is not on probation, it is fully accredited. What you've heard may just refer to the fact that since they are newly accredited, their accreditation period is only for 2 years instead of the typical 6 years. They are reviewed more frequently just too make sure everything stays on course, but this is not some punishment aimed specifically at MCPHS, it is just what every new school must deal with.

Besides that, what would you like to know specifically?

9. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ahhh, anything!! Likes? Dislikes? Are you happy there or do you wish you went somewhere else? How is the 3 year program? Spill your guts, please! :D

10. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and clarify. I appreciate it SO much. My questions? Does there seem to be any trend in the school for unusually high burnout or "weeding out"? How receptive are the professors etc when out-of-class help is needed? What do you feel so far are the best & worst things about the program? Basically, is there anything you wish you'd known before entering? I'm familiar with Worcester, and know where it is located so am not concerned so much about that. I've seen some of the comments here and have to say -anyone who decides to pay that much $ to go to a school and doesn't understand the location/campus it is in is an idiot anyway!

Again, thank you for answering. :)

11. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Bump

12. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    To my knowledge, there is no weeding out in our class yet, but we are just wrapping up our first semester. During orientation, I did not hear any mention from the 2nd yr students about members of their class. I personally am not burned out--it is hard work, we have 7 classes this semester, and I also work 2 nights a week, but I knew this going in and I think anyone applying to an accelerated program who does not anticipate having to work hard and fast is a bit silly.

The best thing about the program so far is the diversity of professors. Some are very young, just out of residencies, but for the most part they seem competent and knowledgeable. Other professors are older and have a lot on on-the-job experience, as well as many years of teaching at various schools and institutions. It seems like a good mix.

I wish I had known a bit more about the satellite campus in NH before making my final decision to attend MCPHS. The students up there are essentially part of our class, and we watch some lectures via satellite from up there, and the remaining lectures are taught in Worcester and sent up to NH. So, we are always connected to them and can ask questions back and forth, but I find it a little annoying. It is professionally done and I don't think the quality of education suffers when the professor is not right in front of you, but I still feel it's hokey in some way. If you are the type of person that goes to office hours regularly, then you have limited access to the professors in NH and that may impact your learning. I never go to office hours or ask profs questions after class, so the situation doesn't affect me. I just email the few questions I have here and there, and they are quick to respond. I don't think knowing more about the satellite program would have really affected my decision, but I feel misled in a way and as though it was kept a big secret.

I am also annoying by the level to which they stress English proficiency. We had a computerized English test during orientation, and if you scored below a certain level, then you had to take some class this semester. I scored a 99% and it didn't take very long, so fine. But last week, we had a 2 hour writing exam. We had to read about 5 articles and write an essay in response to some healthcare dilemma, citing the articles to support our points. We could read the articles and highlight them before the exam, as well as compose our reply ahead of time, but we couldn't take any notes in with us. All of this was utterly ridiculous. Can't they tell by now if we speak English or not? We had to write essays for the application, we had to write an essay AT the interview, and then we had the exam during orientation. And, there is word of an oral exam later on. It is all so very stupid....

13. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In addition to my above reply.....

Sure, there are days when I wish had chosen UCSF instead (like on days when a disproportionately large number of students ask stupid questions), but then I think about finishing in just 3 years and am happy with where I am. I also wish I had come out to look for an apartment before moving here instead of just picking one online and doing the paperwork sight-unseen. I really like my apartment, but it takes much longer to drive than Mapquest claims. The roads here are just whack and you really need a lay of the land before deciding on an area to live and how far you are willing to drive.

14. Do you go to satellite campus or Worcester campus? As reading your post, I got confused a bit. I am invited for an interview so I am interested in the MCPHS - Worcester.

For others information, I sent my application around 11/20 and got a letter from them yesterday, 12/5. I have a BS from UC and including this fall semester, I have completed 90% of requirements. I am a career changer and was not a Bio related major so I took most of requirements at JC.

Overall GPA: 3.49
    Science GPA: 3.87
    Requirement GPA: 3.69

15. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I attend the Worcester campus, but we receive some lectures via satellite. The lectures that are live for us are transmitted via satellie to the NH campus.

16. Diamondeve21

Diamondeve21 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hello,

Does any one know whether MCPHS have a lab top requirement? Thank every one...

17. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We do not have a laptop requirement.

18. How is the dormitotary? Do you recommend to live there? Do most of your classmates work? How much do they work?

DrugDealer, thank you so much for helping us out.

19. WorcesterPHOBoy

WorcesterPHOBoy Membership Revoked
    Removed

How many percentage of Community College people they accept? =\

20. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

How is the testing like? I know that they are packing a lot of classes in one semester. Do you have like 6-7 finals at the end of the semester?

21. chuks_pharmD

chuks_pharmD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
  22. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Did anyone have an interview at worcester yet? How did you get there from the airport? Rent a car? Wow, its far...

23. jolie122

jolie122 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

HEY I HAVE AN INTERVIEW IN JANUARY, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET FROM THE AIRPORT EITHER, BUT HOPEFULLY, I WILL GET MORE INFO BEFORE I GO.

WHEN IS YOUR INTERVIEW?
    I AM IN MARYLAND

24. jolie122

jolie122 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

HEY I HAVE AN INTERVIEW IN JANUARY, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET FROM THE AIRPORT EITHER, BUT HOPEFULLY, I WILL GET MORE INFO BEFORE I GO.

WHEN IS YOUR INTERVIEW?
    I AM IN MARYLAND

25. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

They said rent a car. Its a long drive. It seems that you can take the commuter train from the airport to worcester. I have an interview in january too.

26. pharmerted

pharmerted Member
    5+ Year Member

What are MCPHS's strengths? Why would someone pick it over other schools (other than the 3 yr program)?

Any special programs? thanks!

27. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I do not know much about the new "Living and Learning Center." I do not live there, and I have not been inside it. My understanding (which is not necessarily fact) is that it costs about as much as an average apartment around here, but you are then sharing a suite with several other people. Not worth it in my opinion--I need my space. It would be super-convenient in bad weather, though.

Most students I know work, but I don't know what percentage that would be. I work 5 hours one weeknight and a full 8 hour shift on Sunday. My roommate works a full shift on Friday and about 6 hours on Saturday.

I do not know. I have a BS, but then after deciding to return to school, I was lacking several prereqs. I took these 7 courses at a CC. We are divided into learning groups of 6 students. In my group of 6, we have 1 student with just an AA, a couple with Bachelors, one with a Masters, and a couple that attended just a few years at a 4 year school, so they would be comparable to CC students.

Due to class size, testing is almost entirely MC (so far!). Sometimes there will be one page of fill in the blank at the end of the exam, but they're just short answer, not essay. We have 7 classes with 6 finals this semester. Looks like 6 classes for next semester.

I liked their community service aspect (it's a required course first semester), community pharmacy entrepreneurship program, and proximity to real cities, such as Boston and New York. I also liked that they will let you do rotations out-of-state (including far-away places like California and Florida), whereas other schools I interviewed with force you to stay in the area. I felt that was very limiting.

28. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

WOOHOO

Multiple choice! I miss that.

29. pharmforme

pharmforme Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey, I know this is VERY late but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this great reply. It was very helpful. Sorry I didn't respond at the time, life was crazy. Anyway, I did get in, so I will be a fellow MCPer next year. Thanks again :)

30. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No problem, glad all that typing didn't go to waste. I'm just tryin' to represent, since Worcester didn't have many students on here to help me last year when I was applying.

31. DoctorAJ

DoctorAJ Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks again drugdealer for all your help

I had one more question...is the reason you say most students work at pharmacies on weekends because they are making up for the "lack" of hours the program provides in order to take the Naplex? Correct me if Im wrong, but I hear that because it is a 3 yr program it only provides you with like only 650 hours, while about 1000 hours are needed to take the Naplex? If so, does the school help students find a job on an off-campus location? Are there a decent amount of availabilities for jobs in the vicinity of the school? I got in the fall by the way, and if what Ive said above is true, can I work this summer before I get in to start accumulating hours?

I greatly appreciate your help!

32. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We accumulate 1630 hours from our rotations. The Mass Board of Pharmacy requires 1500 intern hours, but they will only accept 1000 from rotations, so we need to work outside of class to accumulate the remaining 500 hours. Some states, such as NY and NJ, will accept all the hours from rotations, so if you were going to get licensed in those states, you wouldn't need to work. Every state is different, so you would need to check with the board in the states you are considering practicing in to see how many rotation hours they accept.

To my knowledge, the school doesn't directly help students find jobs, but I haven't really looked into this service, so maybe they do....They did have a CVS rep on campus last fall to discuss finding a preceptor, but that's about all I know. There are a lot of pharmacies in a several-mile radius around school--mostly CVS, but at least 2 Walgreen's, a Pharmacare, several independents, and most of the big grocery chains have a pharmacy, plus Target.

You cannot start accumulating intern hours in Mass before about the 2nd or 3rd week of classes. You cannot accumulate hours until you have registered as an intern with the state board, and you cannot register with the state board until after the add-drop date at school. If you are in a state other than Mass, you may be able to start accumulating hours (again, you would need to check with that state's board), but I wouldn't worry about it. You can work just a few hours each week during school and easily accumulate the hours you need.

33. pharm4real4

pharm4real4 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Pharmacy
    DrugDealer, if u can pick, would you pick Lecom instead of Worcester? because Lecom tuition 41k including foods meanwhile worcester is 46k not include foods..? which one do you think it is best in your opinion. Thanks DrugDealer

34. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I do not know anything about LECOM, other than it exists. Sorry.

35. karariki

karariki www.chanhonline.com
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    dear DrugDealer,

1) u mentioned we have to work outside of school if some particular state like Massachusetts only accepts 1000 hrs from rotation. that's being said, is it easy to find a job to get these hours? is it tough to work while going to an accelerated school?
    2) how much studying an average student needs? is there life outside of school for students going to MCPHS-worcester?
    3) what kind of english test u had to take during orientation. is it like the reading & verbal on the PCAT? english is not my 1st language, but i'm pretty comfortable using it. nevertheless, i feel like i should study & prepare. :) if one fails this test, what class he has to take?
    4) what about residency? is it attainable for MCPHS-worcester students since this school seems to focus on community pharm?
    5) the school is definitely accredited, right?

it seems scaringly tough when u said u & ur classmates had to read a bunch of articles to solve a dilemma & write a solution proposal for it.

thanks for answering my questions.

36. DoctorAJ

DoctorAJ Member
    5+ Year Member

Is there a certain website (or websites) that have the individual state's board of pharmacy requirements and rules concerning required intern/rotation hours? If so, please provide a link, it would be extremely helpful! :)

37. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I can only speak about my own experience finding a job. I applied on the CVS website for the store right next to my apartment, and was hired a few weeks later. That was in September, and they’ve hired another intern plus a part-time tech since then (and no one has left), so in my experience, it seems easy to get a pharmacy job here. I don’t know if this is true for other stores and location, though.

I work one evening during the week, plus a full shift on the weekend, so I only work about 12 hours a week. It doesn’t interfere with school, and even at 10 hours a week, you can accumulate the extra hours you need in just a year.
    I don’t know how to quantify the studying I do. I try to do a little bit every night. I do have time for a few drinks each week and to watch some trashy TV. Some weeks, I even find time for the gym, and I worked in a weekend trip to NY a few weeks ago.
    The test during orientation was just reading comprehension and some grammar correction. It was computerized and you instantly received your score. I don’t really know how you would study for it. I think there was an 8-week class you had to take during the semester if you failed it, but I’m not sure of the details. It was not something I paid any attention to.
    Yes, MCP students can still (and do) obtain residencies. For the students interested in community pharmacy, Walgreens even offers a community pharmacy residency.
    Yes.
    In retrospect, it wasn’t that bad. I read everything and composed my outline the night before. I probably spent about an hour and a half writing it during the 2 hour exam. They just posted the results a few weeks ago—my roommate says she counted about 30 students who failed. They take an 8-week class this semester and retake the exam later this spring. I don’t know what happens if they fail a second time.

38. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    There's not a compiled site that I know of. I Googled the board of pharmacy for the states I was interested in ("California board of pharmacy", "Louisiana board of pharmacy", etc.) and found their regulations that way.

39. karariki

karariki www.chanhonline.com
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    dear DrugDealer.

though u've never explicitly campaigned for MCPHS-worcester, u're still a real advocate for ur school. :thumbup: if all the students at MCPHS-worcester are any bit like you, then it's trully a great school to attend after all. :) :rolleyes:

thank you for answering our endless questions. :)

40. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Aww, that's so sweet! You (and everyone else) are welcome.

41. ht025

ht025 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks 'Drugdealer'! Your answers about MCPHS-Worcester are very thorough. Very much appreciated you anwers and time.

I understand that the school have enrolling admission. I've tried calling to see if there are any available spot left for the Fall semester, but got a voice mail.

My GPA is pretty descent: 3.3 at UPENN back in 2002. And have plenty of work experiences through a clinical research coordinator job.

I'm curious to know how much tuition and books per yr?
    Are they pretty good with financial aid?

If I plan on going back for this 3yr Pharm.D, I'm just wondering how i'm going to support myseft.

HT

42. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm not surprised you got a voice mail if you called this week--it's our spring break, and I think a lot of the offices are closed. They're still interviewing, but I don't know if they would still accept a new application. Even if they would, you would need time to get letters of rec together and compose your essays. Plus, do you have all the prereqs or are missing few enough that it would be feasible to complete them this summer? I have a BS in biochem, but when I decided to return to get my PharmD, I had to take 7 more courses to complete the prereqs. That would have been impossible to do over 1 summer. Lastly, applying at such a late date makes pharmacy school look like a whim on your part and may not be taken seriously by the admissions committee. All in all, I would wait until the next admissions cycle.

Tuition this year was just over $30K. The school estimated total cost of living (and, hence, the total amount you can take in loans) to be $48K. I don't think the school itself offers any scholarships, but there are plenty of lenders happy to loan you that money! I took the max I could get in gov't loans (somewhere around $30K) and the remainder (up to the 48K) in a private loan from my bank.

43. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks double D! : )

44. ht025

ht025 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Actually, I'm not applying on a whim. I've been considering pursuing this for a long time. It was just a matter of when. I have my letters of recommendations from a clinical research pharmacist and a MD set and all of the pre-req classes covered. My wife is completing her 1st of 5 yrs of MD residency a Brown, and we were plan on having a baby. The good news was she was pregnant earlier then expected. I was hoping to work another year to save up before to start. But my current career requires me to travel so much out of the week and the thought of our baby coming hopefully in August makes me want to be closer to home. I make lots of $$$ in my current job, but it sucks in the sense that it lacks intellectual challenge and way too much traveling. Money can't make you happy! You need to love what you do!