would like some input -thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzyvic

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
just want some input on my situation....i am a third year undergrad at a well respected public university in CA. Currently my gpa is 3.25 in a "tough" major, and just recently took the mcats. I feel that i am capable of scoring (hopefully) a 30 or greater. No problem there. I have been working in a lab for over 9 months at my school, and i have also volunteered in a hospital for 4 months, and will shadow a physician this summer. I was also an undergraduate teaching assistant for the past 2 semesters, and will have at leats 2 pretty good letters of rec from professors that know me well. Anyways, all kinds of people have different experiences, but my point is that i have done some "stuff" besides just school. My grades are not great, but decent i think..(i can get them into the 3.3 range by end of summer or before!)..and hopefully i can pull of a 30's mcat score. Am i in a decent situation to get into a respectable med school? (im not talking stanford or anything like that!) Thank you for your time....i really appreciate all the input that you guys give

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like every other question posted on this board. For the last time, nobody can tell you what your chances are!!! The only thing that you can do is apply to a variety of schools (high, mid and low range) and see what happens. If you really must know what some arbitrary person thinks of your chances based on the limited info you gave, look at the 3 million other posts from people who sound exactly the same. Not trying to sound rude, but people, PLEASE STOP ASKING THIS!!!

Pulling out my crystal ball again.....I see in your future.....it is getting clear.....yes...yes.....Dental School.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
What my esteemed colleagues were trying to say is that the medical school admissions process is very subjective and a crap shoot at best. No one here can offer you definitive answers regarding your chances of getting in. You'll find, if you look hard enough, people with 23 MCAT's and 3.0's getting into school and 35's with 4.0's failing to do so. The best you can take away from this board and others like it is that your chances are never 0% or 100%. You just have to do the things that will make you competitive, and do them for the right reasons, and prove to the adcoms you're not a total ass in the interview then pray to whatever highter being you take comfort in, maybe have drink or two, and wait and see. If you don't get in, buff up your app where it was light and try again.

This probably didn't help at all, but I feel better any way. Best of luck to you.

Spang

Jazzyvic,
I hope you got some answers to your question. A mistake that most people make is to only apply to the schools with a "name". Medical school is not about reputation, it's about the school which is right for you. You need to research the schools and see which one caters to your needs in terms of curriculum, faculty commitment and student happiness and success. Some of the best medical schools are those that are not top ten on the US world report.

Don't worry about a thing. I like your stats and I'll take care of everything for you!