Would like to eventually be a FNP..Am i taking the best route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in Nursing and would like to eventually be a Family Nurse Practitioner. My situation is that I am about to graduate(in the fall) with a Bachelors in Psych-Minor in Bio..

I would probably be able to get into an entry level CNL program(which is a MSN) at University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center. I realize I would need to work some as an RN between then and when i re-apply for FNP. How much schooling does it take to go from an MSN-CNP to an FNP, and are programs available that let you get the certification?

Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I am very interested in Nursing and would like to eventually be a Family Nurse Practitioner. My situation is that I am about to graduate(in the fall) with a Bachelors in Psych-Minor in Bio..

I would probably be able to get into an entry level CNL program(which is a MSN) at University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center. I realize I would need to work some as an RN between then and when i re-apply for FNP. How much schooling does it take to go from an MSN-CNP to an FNP, and are programs available that let you get the certification?

Thanks!:D

The schooling wouldn't be the issue for me, it would be the financial expenditure. Im guessing it would be expensive to do the entry level cnl. Even after getting that, you'd have more school to go. Having the cnl wouldn't fast track you to anything more than just a staff nurse job once you are done. Down the line it could lead to some decent cash once you had a management position (my manager makes close to 100k... That's for a position two steps above what I'm doing now.) That particular person is doing that job by virtue of their experience and performance, not due to a masters degree.

If you know you want to be an NP, then the only direct entry you really should look at is a direct entry NP program, otherwise get a fast track bsn or an associates RN and do a completion or something. My pathway to NP will cost me almost nothing because I got my RN paid for, am working on my bsn completion for free, and my NP program will be mostly covered by work. A masters in cnl is just more money for something you probably won't use. One of the perks of an NP degree is that you can work while you complete it, and they often are fairly well priced. The way you are thinking of doing it costs a heck of a lot more than it could otherwise.

To answer your question, though, I think it would take you at least two extra years to tack on an FNP masters. That's because a clinical nurse leader degree isn't a practice degree like an NP is, if I'm not mistaken... It's just an advanced level of traditional nursing. You'd be well positioned to eventually become a manager of floor nurses, or a director... Something like that. Lots of money in that work, but a different job than being a practitioner. Since the skill set is different, they would have to teach you the same way they would a regular nurse applying to be an FNP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Actually I have been looking at another school, USA in Alabama, that is an accelerated MSN program for non-nursing majors. I believe it is 2 years. The reason I am really narrowing it down to local schools is tuition costs--I can't afford to pay an extra 30K of tuition.

I have been split on Nursing/future nurse practitioner? as well as OT for awhile now. I like rehabilitative healthcare and working with the elderly. However, I feel like I might have more room to grow in a nursing role with more education down the line, and the jobs seem to be in higher demand.

Thanks for the reply! Actually I have been looking at another school, USA in Alabama, that is an accelerated MSN program for non-nursing majors. I believe it is 2 years. The reason I am really narrowing it down to local schools is tuition costs--I can't afford to pay an extra 30K of tuition.

I have been split on Nursing/future nurse practitioner? as well as OT for awhile now. I like rehabilitative healthcare and working with the elderly. However, I feel like I might have more room to grow in a nursing role with more education down the line, and the jobs seem to be in higher demand.

nobody can really afford 30k extra, but there are lots of variables in play that make it more palatable... in many cases it comes down to being able to work a year sooner than you would otherwise. lots of folks would be willing to pay more to get into a school sooner and have that extra year of salary sooner to pay down debt.

i dont know what to say about accelerated NP programs for non nursing majors. sounds like PA school without the benefit of the heavy science emphasis, and NP school without the benefit of health care experience as a nurse. I have a hard time seeing how that provides the ingredients for a great provider compared to other options, just judging on the surface of it all. I guesse that the studies show they do just fine, and PA schools seem to be fine these days with little to no health care experience (and also point to studies).