Would "Little-Kid-You" be Proud of "Today-You"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neocia

Class of 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought we could all probably use a little confidence boost & a fun thread as finals approach :)

Think of yourself as a child - maybe five years old, maybe 12 years old - either way, would you be proud of what you've accomplished as current you?! I know I would be/am! I always wanted to be a marine biologist or an animal trainer, but I never thought I'd actually be applying to vet school this year!

What did you all want to be "when you grew up" as kids? Are you proud of being in the pre-vet/vet student position you are in today? (Because you should be proud :)

Members don't see this ad.

Little me wanted to be a spaceship captain... so I think for him vetmed would be kind of a downgrade

Reactions: 4 users
Little me has finally achieved her dream and starts vet school in the fall! So yes 5yr old me would be super proud of Xyr old me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure, I think 5-year-old me probably thought 23-year-old me would be way cooler, and I wanted to be a ballerina. So... Maybe? Hard to say :p But I'm mostly proud of myself so I guess that's all that matters!

I don't think little kid me could possibly grasp what all I have done. 5 year old me, even 12 year old me would not be able to comprehend everything enough to be proud. 25 year old me though, yeah I guess I am proud. I don't really think about it. I mean, I am not the first and I won't be the last to accomplish this goal of being a vet. I am happy that I have made it to where I am now, yeah it was hard at times, and I feel I have accomplished something, so sure I am proud of that. But I don't think little kid me would be able to say that she is proud, little kid me would not understand.

5-year-old me would say "Oh my god I hope I'm never that old."

I dunno. I've lived in South America for a year. Learned to scuba dive. Owned motorcycles. Flown planes blind in snowstorms to Canada, through rainstorms to the Bahamas, and across the mountains to California. I've had a job I could wear shorts to and still get paid six figures. Three pretty great kids and a wife who, for whatever reason, puts up with me. I live in a suburb rated #1 place to live in the U.S. a few years back. Backpacked virtually all of the Superior Hiking Trail, much of it with my best dog-friend.

I'm now poor (vet school..........) and jobless, but I can't complain.

Somewhere along the way I want to move to a hobby farm 30 minutes outside of the Twin Cities, or maybe further up north, or maybe just a place along Lake Superior, but .... that can wait a bit.

Reactions: 8 users
I guess when you're as old as LIS, you've done some living ;)

5 year old me would be sad I never was able to be a singer, but would be ecstatic I am going to start my own vet clinic.

5 year old me would be slightly disappointed I only have 2 cats. And no kids yet. But I am married to a pretty wonderful guy

5 year old me would mostly be disappointed at the total lack of dinosaurs, and probably grossed out that shoving my arm up the backside of a horse is just another day.

ETA: 5 year old me mostly wanted to be a Power Ranger. And 7/8 year old me wanted to be Sailor Mars. (Actually, 26 year old me wouldn't mind being either of those things.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
5 year old me would be rather disappointed in me. I wanted to be just like my mom, and I'm sad to say I'm not married yet and I'm 4 children behind... My mom I'm sure had told me by the time that I was 5 that unlike men, women are born with all the eggs they would have in their lifetime and that if you don't use them while you're young, they start rotting and that is why you get birth defects...

5 year old me would also be very sad that my dog is dead (that was my worst fear growing up).

Being a vet in a month is a good consolation prize though, methinks

5-year-old me would wonder what the heck a chemical engineer does and why I ever went to school for it. She would also wonder why I'm not working on bugs and would ask if surgery is gross. She'd probably be happy that I'm married though, and would think it's awesome that I learned how to ride horses!

I think 5-year old me would be excited that I'm starting vet school...but would probably not be happy that I'll be "old" when I graduate. Pretty sure I thought I could start school at 16 back then. She'd also be sad that I didn't still have my wicked Jurassic Park toy collection.

This one was my pride and joy:
trex4.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 5-year old me would be excited that I'm starting vet school...but would probably not be happy that I'll be "old" when I graduate. Pretty sure I thought I could start school at 16 back then. She'd also be sad that I didn't still have my wicked Jurassic Park toy collection.

This one was my pride and joy:
trex4.jpg

Yeah, little kid me would be pissed that I no longer have my Dalmatian collection.... I think little kid me would also be disappointed that I never did make it to 101.

Little-kid me would be proud that I'm in vet school, have my own place, my own car and a cat. She would be disappointed that I don't own a horse currently, but happy I did at one time and perhaps disappointed that I'm not younger at this point in my life (I.e. Perhaps too many detours lol).

As a kid, I always thought I would get married when I was 26. For whatever reason, that would be the age. So since that is next year, I think she would be disappointed I'm not engaged (though I am rather glad ;) ).

She would be proud that I was a captain of a collegiate riding team, worked at Spruce Meadows with their Hanoverian studs, have a hat signed by Ian Millar and Eric Lamaze and still love horses today.

Overall, I think she would be happy. Now I can't help but wonder what 40 yr old me would want to tell my 25 yr old self today. :)

I think the only thing 5yr old me would register is that I get to play with ponies and puppies and other furry critters at school!!

12yr old me would be happy I was going to be a vet but quietly be extremely skeptical of the husband thing and doubt my commitment to my career ;)

Aspiring veterinarian is a decided distant second from being an Animorph, so 12-year-old me would be heartbroken.

Did anyone ever kind of think they would run into magical powers at 16, like in the tv shows? And then I think I hoped it would happen at 18... And then 21...

Reactions: 2 users
Aspiring veterinarian is a decided distant second from being an Animorph, so 12-year-old me would be heartbroken.

Did anyone ever kind of think they would run into magical powers at 16, like in the tv shows? And then I think I hoped it would happen at 18... And then 21...
I'm holding out for 30.

5 yr me would wonder how a dream could sometimes also be a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 users
I think my elementary school aged self would be pleasantly surprised to find out I am studying to become a veterinarian, since one of my favorite activities as a child was to play with my toy vet kit and heal all my stuffed animals and poor cats (the one was always diagnoses with hyperfurmia because she was hyper (aka high strung) and I didn't know that the word was I was thinking of was in fact hyperthermia, and the other cat, in suit, was diagnosed with lazofurmia, for obvious reasons). Ironically, aside from a brief period in middle school when I thought being a vet would be cool because my cousin decided she wanted to be a vet, I never really aspired to be a vet until I was approaching my senior year of high school and realized I should probably figure out what I wanted to do with my life, and that since sick people grossed me out I probably shouldn't become a physician (although I did consider pathology for a little while). I think little kid me would be happy that I'm saving animals rather than examining dead people and staring at tumors under microscopes for a living. Although, perhaps a little bummed that I'm not performing in a Broadway show, but we can't do it all...

5 year old me would be super excited that I'm finally trying to be a veterinarian. She'd be extremely puzzled and worried that I have a child, though. She was not planning on ever having one of those things.

one of my favorite activities as a child was to play with my toy vet kit and heal all my stuffed animals and poor cats (the one was always diagnoses with hyperfurmia because she was hyper (aka high strung) and I didn't know that the word was I was thinking of was in fact hyperthermia, and the other cat, in suit, was diagnosed with lazofurmia, for obvious reasons).
That's kind of adorable.

On paper, five year old me would probably be thrilled. I have a job, a car, my own apartment, and a boyfriend, and I always thought the teenagers I saw who had those things were just the coolest. Plus working with animals, studying to be a vet, seeing and doing new things all the time? 5 year old me would have been pretty excited about all that.

But in reality, five year old me would be extremely disappointed to learn that despite all those things, I still haven't figured out how to be happy.

5 year old would have been proud but also a bit disappointed. I wanted to be a dog when I grew up until I was old enough to realize that was not possible.

5 year old would have been proud but also a bit disappointed. I wanted to be a dog when I grew up until I was old enough to realize that was not possible.

Apparently a common ambition to be an animal. When I was a little kid I told my parents I wanted to be a shark...

Little Me, when she learned I'm going to vet school in September: :soexcited:
Little Me, when she learned that my awesome dinosaur collection is gone: :punch:
Little Me, when she learned that I did not get a letter from Hogwarts at 11: :cryi:

Little Me, when she learned that my awesome dinosaur collection is gone: :punch:
Little Me, when she learned that I did not get a letter from Hogwarts at 11: :cryi:

Hey, I was already 12 by the time that first book was released in the US. I never even had a chance.

Little me didn't really think much of the future. I figured I'd probably be dead by the time I was 28 - I thought that was pretty old.

When I was around 11 and comprehended than interstellar travel probably wasn't going to happen in my lifetime I was crushed. If I couldn't be in some version of Starfleet, why have a job at all?

Junior high me would have been pleased I have a doctorate. High school me would have been disappointed I wasn't a people doctor. Undergrad me would have been happy that I'd gotten into vet school. Vet school me would be pleased to know that I got out!

Current me wouldn't mind going back to past me and just handing over lotto numbers - skip all that work and college ;)

I've wanted to be a vet since I was about 6 and that's never really changed, though there were other career paths that sounded fun along the way. One of the biggest influences in my life was my grandpa, who was a (human) surgeon. Though she wouldn't understand the details, I think little kid me would be proud that I "got better" after having been so sick for years, and would be proud and relieved that I'm waiting to hear back from a vet school. :) That said, I'm not sure how little kid me would feel about my son, but you can't win them all lol.

I was also hoping for a Hogwarts letter... My sisters and I actually made our brother a letter from Hogwarts for his eleventh birthday, we even used green ink. It was obviously a phony, but looking back I'm sure he was a little disappointed.

Hey, I was already 12 by the time that first book was released in the US. I never even had a chance.
Aw, that's too bad. I think I had a year or so to wish. And then when I didn't get it at 11, I decided Hogwarts had simply made a mistake, and they would send me a letter the next year explaining that there had been a mistake and I was overlooked. And then I decided that duh, I live in the US, and Hogwarts only accepts students from England, right? So maybe the US schools had a later starting age. Can you tell I really thought through all the possibilities?

I was also hoping for a Hogwarts letter... My sisters and I actually made our brother a letter from Hogwarts for his eleventh birthday, we even used green ink. It was obviously a phony, but looking back I'm sure he was a little disappointed.
That's so mean! In an awesome way. :roflcopter:

5 year old me would be disappointed my goal of becoming a picture frame maker or professional violinist (I don't even play violin) didn't work out. 8 year old me wanted to be an entomologist, and 9 year old me wanted to be a wildlife rehabilitator so I'm sure the vet thing would have sufficed. lol 10 year old me would have been thrilled though, since that's when I came to my senses and became dead set on becoming a vet.

Heck yeah 5 year old me would be proud! Life is so much better than I ever thought it could be when I was a kid, and I turned out to be pretty awesome. Sorry for the gloating, but you asked.

Oh yes, little me would be very proud that I'm in vet school. She would be sad that I wasn't already married with like 2 kids. And she would be really confused as to why horses are the last thing I want to treat when I get out.

But all in all, she'd be cool with where I'm at.

In my 6th grade graduation book (b/c that was a thing???) I wrote that I wanted to "go to college and be rich." Haha! Now, so much college and not so much rich :(

Oh yes, little me would be very proud that I'm in vet school. She would be sad that I wasn't already married with like 2 kids. And she would be really confused as to why horses are the last thing I want to treat when I get out.

But all in all, she'd be cool with where I'm at.

Lol little me would be proud that I still managed to hold on to almost all my model Breyer horses even though I definitely do not want to ever work on real horses :p

Yeah, I think little kid me would be super impressed - I got confidence, but more importantly an awesome beard!

I thought about being a vet when I was a kid, but I'm not one of the only-thing-I've-ever-wanted-to-do types. I think the only thing kid me wouldn't understand is all the stuff that's gone into making the decision, but maybe it'd sound exciting to him.