Would love help on my school list :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'd love some help with my med school list. I'll list my stats etc and does anyone have suggestions as to where I should apply?

Graduating may 2013 from Rutgers University

Double major in biology & English

3.84 cGPA and 3.75 sGPA, 34R MCAT: 13 verbal, 11 ps, 10 bs...I know the bio score is unfortunate :(

Research assistant in educational psychology for 1 year, poster presentation, research excellence award

Phi Beta Kappa, Deans List, school of arts and sciences excellence award twice

Patient contact volunteer (ongoing) in neurology ICU since July 2011

Lead learning assistant for physics 1 & 2 at rutgers. Also ongoing, been doing this for a year thus far

Substitute teacher at special needs school district during breaks from school for 3 years

Sunday school teacher of Arabic reading/writing to first grade for 7 years

Community service in Egypt for the past 3 summers assisting a cardiologist taking vital signs, patient histories, and bedside comforting. 40 hours a week for at least 5 weeks/ summer

Shadowed an ob/gyn for 90 hours and an urgent care doctor for 70 hours.

Arabic tutor for children and adults for 2 years

Write poetry and novels, published twice for poetry

Fluent in Arabic and Spanish

I did include this, but it likely wouldn't make any difference. I'm a very involved caretaker for my younger brother who has Down Syndrome. I take him to doctor appointments, blood tests, attend his school parent/teacher conferences, help with homework, and have independently taught him how to tell time, count money, tie shoes. Sounds like small stuff, but it has been an uphill battle. I've been commuting an hour each way to college to do this, happily!

Seeing as I'm an NJ resident, of course I've applied to UMDNJ, njms, and the new Cooper medical school. I've looked at MSAR for other schools, but it seems my stats are borderline. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're in a good range as far as stats go. You're application also seems unique. Send applications to a few of your dream schools and see what happens. Then add a few mid-tiers/safeties. Which schools these will be completely depend on your preferences of location, etc. There's a lot of good options! Just go for it!!

Thank you for the response! I'm also a women studies minor and included how moderate feminism has shaped me in my personal statement. Im trying to stay on the east coast, do you or anyone think any of the upper level schools are worth a shot, and if so which?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! I'm also a women studies minor and included how moderate feminism has shaped me in my personal statement. Im trying to stay on the east coast, do you or anyone think any of the upper level schools are worth a shot, and if so which?

:scared:

Lol I'm not a man eater, and feminism is about women having equal rights to men. Most importantly, the right to choose aka become a professional versus wife/mother or both rather than being socially constrained to the latter role. I foresaw many people having the response you just did though and assuming many Adcoms will be men, I ensured my ps is moderate and evenhanded in terms of the feminism. Feminism augments me rather than limits me,

I think you took my bouncy face a little more differently than I intended.

I was more bouncy faced by the moderate feminism and how in its moderacy it was worthy to be put in your personal statement.

All the more power to you, cowgirl.

you are fine for all UMDNJ schools. NJMS's average is 3.6/31. RWJ is 3.65/33. I don't know about cooper.
You probably will get a hefty sum of scholarship too.
GL

I'm an English Major/Women's Studies minor and I did the same thing!! :thumbup:

I'm an English Major/Women's Studies minor and I did the same thing!! :thumbup:

Really?! Wow! We definitely are rare, glad to see others doing the same thing!!!

Can anyone suggest private east coast schools I'd be possibly considered for with my stats above? I highly dislike the public education system in nj and ideally would like to go to a private institution. I know med school in the states is good in and of itself, but still.