Would Med Schools Look Down On This?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bound4MedSchool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completely bombed the first semester of my Freshman year, many years ago. At the time, I was on the nursing track, so I had to take a class for students going into the nursing field called inorganic, organic, biochemistry. I got a D in the course. Of course, there was no prior knowledge of chemistry required for this course, so I had not taken any chemistry courses at that point.
Would they be able to differentiate between this course and a regular biochemistry course needed for med school? If so, would my grade in that course hold me back?
This grade is worrying me a lot because my school only offers biochem once a year, so I have to take it next fall, and I am planning on self studying the biochem portions of the MCAT so that I can apply in time for summer '19, and by the time I apply they will still see that ugly grade with no other biochem retake. Would this be a bad look?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the worst mistakes you can make is to handicap yourself because you set some kind of deadline. You want to be a doctor a year or two later or not a doctor a year or two earlier?

I don't know how that grade would be received. I'm sure it depends for each individual school. It certainly won't help you. Many schools have formal requirements, and those that don't have competencies. Below a C in prereq courses is a no-no. Biochem is heavily tested on the MCAT and was highly represented in the test I took.

Be patient and take your school's Biochem. Don't screw yourself because you're bursting with impatience and decide to apply with serious flaws on your application.

My 2 cents.