Would more research help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ditritium monoxide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to plan what to do this summer. I was thinking about applying to REUs, and think I'd get a lot out of being at one, but I'd also like to know how much it would realistically add. Here's what I've got so far

GPA: 3.92
sGPA: around 3.87
Race: Asian
MCAT: Pending, taking it in May
Shadowing: 130 hours with many different specialties (some for a week, some for 1-2 days)
Service: Around 500 hours nonclinical, around 50 clinical (yes I know this is low)
Research: Spent a year and a half in a lab recently. Worked on a project for a year. Presented it at a conference and got a top 10 award for my poster. Also got a grant for this same project last fall. P.I. has guaranteed I'll be second author on the paper, but its uncertain whether that'll actually get done and accepted before I apply.
EC's: A supervisory role leading undergrad TAs (was a TA myself starting Spring 2015, and this supervisory role is my only current EC other than fraternity), two other minor leadership roles in orgs I was part of, philanthropy chair for fraternity, clinical activities on campus, maybe one other thing I'm forgetting
Awards: The two mentioned ones and a scholarship from the biochem department at my school

So would an REU add much? Or ought I to get more clinical volunteering in. If that's the case, what I really want to do this summer is do clinical volunteering in the daytime and get a non-conventional job in nightlife like bartending. Anyone done this?

If my MCAT is 516+ I'd aim for high-mid tier schools but probably wouldn't apply to the tippy top ones (harvard, yale, columbia) regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical volunteering is typically once a week at the hospitals in my area, for ~ 4 hours at a time but if its over the summer and you're part of some type of university program that associates with a hospital then maybe you could get a daily volunteer position... otherwise I think you would have to find multiple volunteer positions throughout the week.

Doing well on the MCAT (along with everything so far) will make you competitive for many medical schools. Therefore, you have the wild card in the sense that you can focus on whatever you want to focus on from now onwards. One suggestion is to continue the volunteering that is clinical in order to increase longevity. Focus on what's in your heart. Do you want to make groundbreaking advancements in medical research? Then focus on research. Do you want to focus more on the front lines and help those in need? Focus on community service. It's up to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, more research would not help.

What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Trying to plan what to do this summer. I was thinking about applying to REUs, and think I'd get a lot out of being at one, but I'd also like to know how much it would realistically add. Here's what I've got so far

Doing well on the MCAT (along with everything so far) will make you competitive for many medical schools. Therefore, you have the wild card in the sense that you can focus on whatever you want to focus on from now onwards. One suggestion is to continue the volunteering that is clinical in order to increase longevity. Focus on what's in your heart. Do you want to make groundbreaking advancements in medical research? Then focus on research. Do you want to focus more on the front lines and help those in need? Focus on community service. It's up to you!

Forget what I said here. I thought you had 500 clinical rather than non clinical.

I agree with @Goro ! As much clinical experience as possible will show that you actually enjoy health care and being around sick people. After all, it's not for everyone...