Would someone be willing to look at my ECs and GPAs to tel me my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really am desperate to know where I stand. I really have a hard time knowing if I'm competitive or not. I really have a hard time seeing where I stand, and I still need to take mcat. Thanks all.

cgpa 3.73
sgpa 3.54

ECs:
VA Hospital patient transporter: (50 hours)
Assisted Living Resident Activities Volunteer (156 hours)
Hurricane Harvey Mission Trip in Nederland, Texas (40 hours)
Pre-Med American Medical Student Association (PAMSA) Officer (126 hours)
Department of Chemistry peer leader (85 hours)

Sports medicine shadowing MD (11.5 hours)
Pediatrics shadowing DO (32.5 hours)
Family medicine shadowing DO (19.5 hours)
Orthopedic surgery shadowing DO (17 hours)
Diagnostic radiology shadowing MD (15 hours)
General dentistry shadowing (8.5 hours)
Anesthesia/ Various Surgery shadowing (46 hours)

Medical School Convention Attendance (24 hours)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you going to post stats and extracurriculars or do we have to read your mind ha?

For some reason I thought it might be better to message people willing to give their opinions, but I fixed it. Sorry about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I thought it might be better to message people willing to give their opinions, does that sound like a dumb idea?
It's strange to create a thread and then ask for people to only message you. Either post your stats and extracurriculars to get perspectives from users throughout SDN or seek particular individuals out and message them for advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand what you're saying my mistake I'm not used to posting on here. I updated the original post.

Without an MCAT no one will be able to tell you your chances.

Your GPA's are competitive, especially for DO. You're good on shadowing but maybe a little on the light side for clinical and volunteer hours.

62.3% chance of acceptance

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I really am desperate to know where I stand. I really have a hard time knowing if I'm competitive or not. I really have a hard time seeing where I stand, and I still need to take mcat. Thanks all.

cgpa 3.73
sgpa 3.54

ECs:
VA Hospital patient transporter: (50 hours)
Assisted Living Resident Activities Volunteer (156 hours)
Hurricane Harvey Mission Trip in Nederland, Texas (40 hours)
Pre-Med American Medical Student Association (PAMSA) Officer (126 hours)
Department of Chemistry peer leader (85 hours)

General dentistry shadowing (8.5 hours)

Medical School Convention Attendance (24 hours)

You've shadowed plenty. You should devote future hours to more clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Your cGPA is good for both DO and MD, but your sGPA could use some work. How far into undergrad are you? Are you able to take more upper-level science courses? Many of these tend to be easier than intro courses (ironically).

Beyond that, it's difficult to give advice without your MCAT score. If you follow the above advice, the MCAT is what will make or break your application.

62.3% chance of acceptance

Excuse me? It's obviously 62.34%. You clearly need to check your significant figures. How could someone so utterly incapable of math be accepted into a medical school? I will call them and let them know they made a mistake. ;):lol:

And of course your blood type is a B+. Medical schools only like A's, sorry.

Edit: in case this wasn't clear, I'm joking!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
You've shadowed plenty. You should devote future hours to more clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Your cGPA is good for both DO and MD, but your sGPA could use some work. How far into undergrad are you? Are you able to take more upper-level science courses? Many of these tend to be easier than intro courses (ironically).

Beyond that, it's difficult to give advice without your MCAT score. If you follow the above advice, the MCAT is what will make or break your application.
I graduated almost a year ago. Should I do a master's program? Again I am not applying MD at all.

Are you an ORM or URM? Also state of residency is also makes a difference. When are you taking MCAT? once you get MCAT score you can decide whether to apply to DO only or MD and DO.

Odds for what? There is no master formula. Applications consider your entire journey to the profession, not just the numbers. We look at the quality of interaction with patients, and shadowing doesn't always have the same value for one institution versus another. Specific comments below:

cgpa 3.73, sgpa 3.54 No MCAT, no school list.

ECs:
VA Hospital patient transporter: (50 hours) What did you do?
Assisted Living Resident Activities Volunteer (156 hours) What did you do?
Hurricane Harvey Mission Trip in Nederland, Texas (40 hours) What did you do?
Pre-Med American Medical Student Association (PAMSA) Officer (126 hours) When did you become an officer? What did you do?
Department of Chemistry peer leader (85 hours) What classes?

General dentistry shadowing (8.5 hours) Are you applying to medicine or dentistry? It's too small for dentistry, it is meaningless for most medical schools unfortunately.

Medical School Convention Attendance (24 hours) What did you do? This is meaningless for an application IMO, but the networking should be meaningful for you and your intended application. Who did you meet?

Where's your clinical experience? Consistent experience to serve others who need help due to social injustices and aggressions against them?

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated almost a year ago. Should I do a master's program? Again I am not applying MD at all.

You don't need a master's program. What you need is to spend the next several months preparing for the MCAT and racking up clinical volunteering hours and nonclinical hours dedicated to serving those less fortunate.

Excuse me? It's obviously 62.34%. You clearly need to check your significant figures. How could someone so utterly incapable of math be accepted into a medical school? I will call them and let them know they made a mistake. ;):lol:

And of course your blood type is a B+. Medical schools only like A's, sorry.

Edit: in case this wasn't clear, I'm joking!
I'm pretty sure it was a joke. You had to explain it so obvious so the people here understand it.
@mvsrocks feels bad bro