Would someone please give me advice on my stats/chances at pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lychee719

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm applying to pharmacy school for 2009 and I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of my standing.
I am applying to
1. UCSF
2. UCSD
3. UOP
4. USN
5. Touro
6. Western
7. Oregon State

I went to UCSD and my GPA is 3.66, but I got all B's in my organic chemistry courses. I think my science GPA is ~3.5. Also, I got a D in the final calculus course the first time I took it, but replaced it with an A. I have two W's and I took an average of 12 units per quarter because I was also working in a cell biology lab (4 years). I have been volunteering at a pharmacy since September 2007 and my only other EC is that I have volunteered at a cat shelter for 9 years. I am really stressing out because of the W's and the bad o-chem grades, so much that I'm having insomnia =P So I'd appreciate any input on my standing and chances to get into these schools.
Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? I don't know how much my lack of EC activities will affect me >.<

Hi everyone!
I'm applying to pharmacy school for 2009 and I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of my standing.
I am applying to
1. UCSF
2. UCSD
3. UOP
4. USN
5. Touro
6. Western
7. Oregon State

I went to UCSD and my GPA is 3.66, but I got all B's in my organic chemistry courses. I think my science GPA is ~3.5. Also, I got a D in the final calculus course the first time I took it, but replaced it with an A. I have two W's and I took an average of 12 units per quarter because I was also working in a cell biology lab (4 years). I have been volunteering at a pharmacy since September 2007 and my only other EC is that I have volunteered at a cat shelter for 9 years. I am really stressing out because of the W's and the bad o-chem grades, so much that I'm having insomnia =P So I'd appreciate any input on my standing and chances to get into these schools.
Thanks so much!!

Don't worry about the W's they shouldn't affect you at all. I think I had 2 or 3 W's... pharmcas ignores the W's... so they don't work against you. B's in O-chem are not bad at all... and the D shouldn't affect you either because you retook it and got an A. However, pharmcas will calculate your D into your GPA BUT on your supplemental applications you can show your higher grade and not the D... in fact most of the schools that I had applied to last year had a section in their supplemental that allowed me to show which courses I retook and they would recalculate my GPA by taking out the lower grade.

Both of your GPAs are pretty good.. your lab work is great, awesome that you have volunteered in a pharmacy. And the cat shelter shows that you are involved in your community.

Depending on how you do on your interviews, you should get into most of the schools that you applied to just based on your stats.... but KNOW that your stats are not everything!..... I've known a lot of people with amazing stats that looked great on paper but didn't get in because they didn't do well on their interview. Make sure you are prepared when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! =D
That sucks that they include the "D" in the GPA, even though UCSD did not :(
Interviews...
Is it really bad that I blush a lot when intimidated, no matter how hard I try to control it? >.<

Thanks for the reply! =D
That sucks that they include the "D" in the GPA, even though UCSD did not :(
Interviews...
Is it really bad that I blush a lot when intimidated, no matter how hard I try to control it? >.<

I blush a lot myself. After 3 interviews of blushing, stressing out, barely breathing, shaking, and giving answers that do not make any sense,,,,, I came in PREPARED for my last interview and did great. You need to be confident - then you will feel like on top of your game during an interview..... thus no blushing
:luck::luck::luck:

I blush a lot myself. After 3 interviews of blushing, stressing out, barely breathing, shaking, and giving answers that do not make any sense,,,,, I came in PREPARED for my last interview and did great. You need to be confident - then you will feel like on top of your game during an interview..... thus no blushing
:luck::luck::luck:

Lol, I laughed at how you gave out answers that made no sense at all. That's pretty funny. :laugh: What kind of answers would those be? Would you care to provide a question the interviewers asked and a non-sense response you gave? :)

Lol, I laughed at how you gave out answers that made no sense at all. That's pretty funny. :laugh: What kind of answers would those be? Would you care to provide a question the interviewers asked and a non-sense response you gave? :)
You didn't ask me the above question, but at one interview I was asked "If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?" My first answer was, "My teeth!"

Not good.