Would taking Anatomy or Physiology be worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolpremed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it offer a significant advantage for the MCAT or am I better of self-studying and not risking the GPA hit?

Members don't see this ad.

It may help on a few questions, but for the most part I think you could self study without it. Sometimes it just helps to understand different studies or systems they may bring up on the test.

Reactions: 1 users
A&P would definitely help for the MCAT. However, I agree w/ the above poster - it is not necessary, and A&P is an easy "self-study" topic. Also... your A&P course might go in more detail (or less detail) than what the MCAT tests. Kaplan's biology book is more than sufficient for the A&P topics on the MCAT and helped me tremendously.

If you are able to take it before the MCAT I'd recommend it. Much of the biology section is physiology based from my experience. In my physiology class we covered much of the material I'm reviewing now for the MCAT which has been beneficial. It isn't necessary, but it gives you a better background to work with

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posts here, if you have the opportunity to take it and it won't cause any problems with scheduling for graduation or anything, take it. It's an interesting course that will be applicable on the MCAT, however, I wouldn't take it over molecular bio or genetics, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the other posts here, if you have the opportunity to take it and it won't cause any problems with scheduling for graduation or anything, take it. It's an interesting course that will be applicable on the MCAT, however, I wouldn't take it over molecular bio or genetics, etc.

So what are the most helpful courses outside of prereqs to take for the MCAT?

So what are the most helpful courses outside of prereqs to take for the MCAT?

Biochem, physics 1&2, molecular/cell bio, gen chems, genetics ..... all your prereqs basically, but those are the ones that I'm finding I'm drawing the majority of my MCAT info from, and ones that I unfortunately need to brush up on.

I wish I had been able to have physiology before the MCAT. Kidney function, sarcomeres, nervous system, endocrine system, among others. Yes, you can read about it in books, of course you can, and it isn't as hard as teaching yourself physics or something. But every hour you spend studying physiology -- and you will need to do it, don't kid yourself -- is an hour you are NOT reviewing AAMC materials or more high-yield stuff like biochem or psychology. Anyway, take it. Its not like it will be a waste of time just in case you get into medical school! ;)

I never took A&P, but took a princeton review course and they covered (more than enough) A&P for my MCAT. I think of all the pre-reqs I took in college, biochem was the most useful.

I took physiology, hardest class I ever took in my undergrad. I would definitely take it as it saved me a lot of time when studying for the MCAT