irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
One course I'm not sure about is a writing course called "evolution of human thought," where we had to write several lengthy essays, but were allowed to choose which subjects to write them on (as long as they fell into the realm of human evolution). Surprisingly, I wrote about a lot of science-y and medical-related subjects, but I'm not entirely sure if this could be counted in my BCPM GPA. Do you think it could count as a biology-related course?

Another course I'm unsure of is "society and the individual" which obviously sounds like a sociology class but all of the essays we had to write were about the brain and future biotechnology. Would this count in my BCPM GPA?

I ask because the course titles for both of those sound rather misleading. If I select a "wrong" course classification for them, would AMCAS reject the transcript and require me to revise it and send it all over again, resetting the 5-6 week process? What would happen? Sorry for so many questions in one post

Last edited:

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
neither would be BCPM. The course classification is based on course content as listed in the official college catalog course description

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
neither would be BCPM. The course classification is based on course content as listed in the official college catalog course description
Wouldn't I be able to argue that they were BCPM courses since >50% of the course content included BCPM content, according to AMCAS guidelines?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Wouldn't I be able to argue that they were BCPM courses since >50% of the course content included BCPM content, according to AMCAS guidelines?
post the formal college catalog course description but both titles would certainly not be considered BCPM by any means.

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Society and the individual: "Evolutionary, ecological, and spatial theories of adaptation and change."

I also realized that the first class I described wouldn't count in my BCPM, according to the official registrar's description. However, I forgot to mention my course Cognitive psychology, which dealt primarily with parts of the brain and their functions, and brain anatomy. Do you think that one would count?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Society and the individual: "Evolutionary, ecological, and spatial theories of adaptation and change."

I also realized that the first class I described wouldn't count in my BCPM, according to the official registrar's description. However, I forgot to mention my course Cognitive psychology, which dealt primarily with parts of the brain and their functions, and brain anatomy. Do you think that one would count?
post the course catalog description

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Cognitive psychology: "Concepts, theories, methods, and research findings in human information processing. Attention, perception, memory, problem solving, decision making, and language comprehension and production"

I also know a few students who took cognitive psychology and had it count in their BCPM GPA on their AMCAS application.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I counted cog psych successfully, as well as several other psych dept sciency courses. I am almost certain that it counts across the board, as it's basically a neuroscience course.

However, I don't think the two you originally posted will get past AMCAS. Not from a "what's most accurate" by the book standpoint, but realistically those don't sound BCPM enough.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I counted cog psych successfully, as well as several other psych dept sciency courses. However, I don't think the two you originally posted will get past AMCAS. Not from a "what's most accurate" by the book standpoint, but realistically those don't sound BCPM enough.
I know the first one probably won't count. I just looked back at my essays from my "society and the individual" class (which I took 4 years ago), and they all had to discuss parts of the brain, research regarding those parts and the brain as a whole, and how consciousness relates to biology, chemistry and even physics. I also had to write about different brain imaging techniques and how they are used. The entire course consisted of only 3 long essays and no exams.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I know the first one probably won't count. I just looked back at my essays from my "society and the individual" class (which I took 4 years ago), and they all had to discuss parts of the brain, research regarding those parts and the brain as a whole, and how consciousness relates to biology, chemistry and even physics. I also had to write about different brain imaging techniques and how they are used. The entire course consisted of only 3 long essays and no exams.
the essays you wrote or the course syllabus will not matter; AMCAS uses official college course catalog description as basis for classification

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
the essays you wrote or the course syllabus will not matter; AMCAS uses official college course catalog description as basis for classification
I mean he could use the syllabus to appeal once AMCAS almost definitely changes it to social science, but it's really not worth the delay in re-verification under any circumstances.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean he could use the syllabus to appeal once AMCAS almost definitely changes it to social science, but it's really not worth the delay in re-verification under any circumstances.
Could I contact them before I send the application so that they know the distinction?

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Could I contact them before I send the application so that they know the distinction?
Not that I'm aware. Too many applications.

It's one class dude. I didn't have the greatest sGPA either, but when I was calculating it out 1 class wasn't going to make a big difference

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Not that I'm aware. Too many applications.

It's one class dude. I didn't have the greatest sGPA either, but when I was calculating it out 1 class wasn't going to make a big difference
I'll see what I can do. The thing is, it'll bring my sGPA up by 0.1, which would be greatly helpful to me.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student