Would this be a compelling geographic tie to a region?

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I spent one year (freshman year) in City A; about two weeks into freshman year, I found my boyfriend. For sophomore year and onward, I moved to City B ~4 hours away. I continued to date my boyfriend long distance, who is a medical student in City A. I drove up to see him around every month as my schedule allowed (not during the pandemic, but otherwise). I am close to his family, loved the city while I was there, and would love to attend med school there.

Is this a tie to the region? I've heard conflicting opinions, since we are boyfriend and girlfriend and not engaged/married. In my eyes, of course, he and his family are as dear to me as my own, but I thought it might not look particularly compelling to adcoms. I am interested in mentioning this tie to three schools:

• The MD medical school he attends (which I am in state for!)
  • A local MD medical school that has quite a low OOS admission rate (I am regional; one state over)
  • A DO school that does not have significant in-state bias to my knowledge
    • I have shadowed a DO who graduated from this school and will likely be getting a LOR from him, if that helps

Thank you!

Last edited:

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My opinion: no. I'd state your interest in attending a school in the area and do your research on the curriculum and student support.

I appreciate your response, thank you. I have quite a few school-specific reasons I want to attend each school, so I'll emphasize those!

About the Ads

Supahchungus

5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I appreciate your response, thank you. I have quite a few school-specific reasons I want to attend each school, so I'll emphasize those!

I’d do just that! Emphasize other reasons for wanting to attend, but I’d at least mention that your SO attends that school. I’m not an ADCOM like the other poster, but I think that’s a valid reason for wanting to attend said school.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I've heard conflicting opinions, since we are boyfriend and girlfriend and not engaged/married. In my eyes, of course, he and his family are as dear to me as my own, but I thought it might not look particularly compelling to adcoms.
You are just BF/GF and it isnt very compelling to most adcoms
I’d do just that! Emphasize other reasons for wanting to attend, but I’d at least mention that your SO attends that school. I’m not an ADCOM like the other poster, but I think that’s a valid reason for wanting to attend said school.
I would agree. If you dont make the argument or at least mention it in a secondary, no one will know. While its not compelling, it not going to hurt you to mention it. But as @Mr.Smile12 said it should not be the gist of your reasons to attend but in addition to those reasons

Reactions: 1 user

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You are just BF/GF and it isnt very compelling to most adcoms

I would agree. If you dont make the argument or at least mention it in a secondary, no one will know. While its not compelling, it not going to hurt you to mention it. But as @Mr.Smile12 said it should not be the gist of your reasons to attend but in addition to those reasons

I will keep this in mind and research with due diligence. Thank you!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.