Would this be a "Publication"??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is an undergraduate health newspaper that is published by one of the faculties at my school. It's not really clinical or lab research or anything; not like NEJM or Cell. It's more of an informative paper like National Geographic or Time, etc.

You do some general research about a disease or illness and write a report (sort of like a research paper for class) and it's meant more for an undergraduate body. I wrote an article for it and was wondering if this is something I could include as a publication?? I didn't do any lab work or anything for it. I just researched the disease extensively and cited some actual clinical articles. But it did get published in a recognized newspaper, at least at my campus.

thanks for your input :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

It's a publication, but not all publications are regarded equally. Just because a person has a "publication" on his resume doesn't mean he assumes some godlike status compared to those who don't have it. If your pub is not as significant as a research paper in a respected journal, then adcoms will see it that way too.

i can't give you any sort of algorithm for determing whether or not you should include a publication, but i would be inclined to not include this on your CV.

in my mind, the problem is that if any interviewer ever questions you about it, then you'll have to explain about the whole situation, which probably won't look great. not that publishing the paper was bad, but there is an expectation by many medical school folks that a publication is, at the very least, peer-reviewed, much less include some form of data collection.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe instead of putting in under the research application category, you could use it as an EC. Writer for _______ Newspaper or something like that.

maybe instead of putting in under the research application category, you could use it as an EC. Writer for _______ Newspaper or something like that.
I agree. You don't want to look like you're making it out to be more than it is, but if it's a good activity, you'll want to list it. I'd say you wrote for a newspaper, because a "publication" usually implies that it was peer-reviewed, which this doesn't sound like.

I agree. You don't want to look like you're making it out to be more than it is, but if it's a good activity, you'll want to list it. I'd say you wrote for a newspaper, because a "publication" usually implies that it was peer-reviewed, which this doesn't sound like.
Exactly. If you call this thing a publication, you'll draw too much attention to it. The word "publication" misrepresents what this really is, so you're going to get a lot of :rolleyes: from anyone reading your application.

I'd say list it but not as a publication (unless you did meta-analysis or it was a review article). I agree with the people above. It's an asset but it will throw up red flags if you call it a publication since you didn't collect your own data and it was not published in a scientific journal.

Are posters presented at a conference or syposium considered publications? I mean can they be cited? Is there a correct way to enter them into a bibliography, works cited, or CV/resume?

Most academic publications are "Peer-Reviewed." Your journalistic article is not. That is how I would distinguish one pub from another.

Are posters presented at a conference or syposium considered publications? I mean can they be cited? Is there a correct way to enter them into a bibliography, works cited, or CV/resume?

On the med school app, there's a separate cateogry for posters/seminars.