Would this be a viable schedule for MCAT studying this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grburst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
6 am - 9 am: Study MCAT on my own
9:30 - 12 pm: Go to Princeton Review class
1 - 8 or 9 pm: Lab research (mixed with MCAT studying during breaks)
Afterwards: More MCAT

Should I drop to part-time research?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha! I've never met a college student who could/would wake up at 0530 every day in the summer just to study, but you just might be that person.

I think you'll burnout quickly, but you might be intense enough to make it work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed you're doing SN2ed with research. Is it full-time? How are you balancing?

The reason yours seems unrealistic (to me) is waking up super early and then it looks like you have no real breaks during your day. Also you're planning on like 7 hours of MCAT/day which is a crazy amount of studying! Sn2ed so far has been about 5 hours per day average.

I am doing research full time right now; here's how my M-F looks:
8:00AM - Wake up
9:00AM to 5:00PM - Research
5:00PM to 7:00PM - Work out + Dinner
7:00PM until I'm done - MCAT
1:00 AM - Sleep

On the weekends I study for the MCAT immediately after waking up until I'm done so I can relax during the evenings. Not going to lie, it's a tough schedule to stick to but I think I'll be thanking myself once the MCAT rolls around

The reason yours seems unrealistic (to me) is waking up super early and then it looks like you have no real breaks during your day. Also you're planning on like 7 hours of MCAT/day which is a crazy amount of studying! Sn2ed so far has been about 5 hours per day average.

I am doing research full time right now; here's how my M-F looks:
8:00AM - Wake up
9:00AM to 5:00PM - Research
5:00PM to 7:00PM - Work out + Dinner
7:00PM until I'm done - MCAT
1:00 AM - Sleep

On the weekends I study for the MCAT immediately after waking up until I'm done so I can relax during the evenings. Not going to lie, it's a tough schedule to stick to but I think I'll be thanking myself once the MCAT rolls around
What if I dropped research?

MCAT classes are a waste of time. Buy the books and go through them yourself, SN2 or whatever schedule you want to do.

Start the day later (or even skip the pre-class studying). And drop the lab research.

I tried studying for the mcat while completing an internship and it was a bad idea. You will be tired from working and you NEED some break time while performing MCAT studying.

MCAT classes are a waste of time. Buy the books and go through them yourself, SN2 or whatever schedule you want to do.

I agree. From what I hear, these classes are tailored for the general population and depending upon your goals (35+), they may not be the best.

But I think less motivated students might need them.

I agree. From what I hear, these classes are tailored for the general population and depending upon your goals (35+), they may not be the best.

But I think less motivated students might need them.

Hmm, OK. I am actually (trying) to follow SN2ed myself and I agree that TBR books and self-study (with focus on weaknesses) might be the way to go.

I'm worried about dropping lab research since I might have the chance to get a co-authorship or something (even though I'm just assisting and kinda doing scut work)... The PI said I'd have a chance to be co-author, but the project doesn't look like it'll complete any time soon.

Hmm, OK. I am actually (trying) to follow SN2ed myself and I agree that TBR books and self-study (with focus on weaknesses) might be the way to go.

I'm worried about dropping lab research since I might have the chance to get a co-authorship or something (even though I'm just assisting and kinda doing scut work)... The PI said I'd have a chance to be co-author, but the project doesn't look like it'll complete any time soon.

It's your call.

Either way, with basic science research it is unlikely that 1 summer will result in a publication.

If you do work in the lab, try to get your hours cut back. 1-9 pm seems unrealistic.

Cut back research a little bit - maybe back to 1-6pm or 7pm - and you're in really good shape.

Thanks for the input guys. If I decide not to take the MCAT class, then I'll be commuting from home (45 min drive each way) to the lab in both the morning and the evening. My schedule is currently:

6:30 - wake up
8 - get to lab
5 - finish work
6-7ish - come back home, eat
after 7: study

Do you think this is sustainable either? Even if I don't take the class, should I drop research?

Btw, I'm pretty shaky on my basic sciences, so I know I will need a lot of hard work/review...

Members don't see this ad :)

They're not a waste of time if you don't have an idea how to study for the mcat and want to stay on track.

If money is not a factor, do the class. Many people say MCAT classes are not worth it due to their high price tag. But if you have the money, it won't hurt. It will help you layout a study schedule and show you ways to study if you don't know how. Some people can study independently, and some need structure. Either way is fine as long as you put forth dedication.

Haha! I've never met a college student who could/would wake up at 0530 every day in the summer just to study, but you just might be that person.

Agreed that you want to make a realistic schedule. But an intense study program is possible.

I worked 20-40 hours a week during undergrad to pay tuition, towards the end of my sophomore year began to prepare for MCAT on my own. Ramped up the studying during the summer (while working every day) and took the exam in August.

Some people literally study for a month or so a few hours a day and get 35+. Others study for 3+ months and scrape out a 25. It totally depends on how comfortable you already are with the material and how smart you are.

Honestly though, 7 hours a day of MCAT study for a summer sounds disgusting. With your original schedule, do you like, not have a social life? Or an SO? Or any friends? Or any hobbies outside of work/MCAT? Because you seem to make zero time for any of that. And that's not healthy - you'll burn out so fast you'll just stop studying altogether. It happened to me a few times when I tried to study that much. I don't think I ever really studied more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I'm about to take the test this Thursday.

For me, 3-4 hr a day (with some days off) was a lot more manageable. As far as the class goes, it's really your call. A nice thing about the course is that it keeps you focused and forces you to learn the material, or at least be exposed to it. I've found that it's easy with self-study to get stuck on a certain topic you don't understand well and just swirl around, eventually getting discouraged and stopping altogether.

However, I didn't take the class, and I didn't exactly follow SN2ed's method. I bought the BR books and the EK set, carefully worked through each chapter (switching subjects each day), then once I got through all the material I started a massive review for a month while talking full length exams (only four, but I'm getting very consistent scores I'm happy with). The whole process took about four months. While SN2 provides a great study schedule, I've found that some in this forum get obsessed with following it to the dot, and while it's great that that works for them, I really wasn't interested in letting a suggested schedule dictate my life to me.

Some people literally study for a month or so a few hours a day and get 35+. Others study for 3+ months and scrape out a 25. It totally depends on how comfortable you already are with the material and how smart you are.

Honestly though, 7 hours a day of MCAT study for a summer sounds disgusting. With your original schedule, do you like, not have a social life? Or an SO? Or any friends? Or any hobbies outside of work/MCAT? Because you seem to make zero time for any of that. And that's not healthy - you'll burn out so fast you'll just stop studying altogether. It happened to me a few times when I tried to study that much. I don't think I ever really studied more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I'm about to take the test this Thursday.

For me, 3-4 hr a day (with some days off) was a lot more manageable. As far as the class goes, it's really your call. A nice thing about the course is that it keeps you focused and forces you to learn the material, or at least be exposed to it. I've found that it's easy with self-study to get stuck on a certain topic you don't understand well and just swirl around, eventually getting discouraged and stopping altogether.

However, I didn't take the class, and I didn't exactly follow SN2ed's method. I bought the BR books and the EK set, carefully worked through each chapter (switching subjects each day), then once I got through all the material I started a massive review for a month while talking full length exams (only four, but I'm getting very consistent scores I'm happy with). The whole process took about four months. While SN2 provides a great study schedule, I've found that some in this forum get obsessed with following it to the dot, and while it's great that that works for them, I really wasn't interested in letting a suggested schedule dictate my life to me.

I'm definitely not someone who can study for a month and get a 35. I know I have a lot of work to do, so I want to put my hours in. Money is not too big an issue, so I think I will decide to take the class.

Regarding my schedule, I think it'll look more like:
9:30 - 12: class
Study afterwards until 6 or so
Rest after that

I think you're right about having breaks to manage burnout. Unfortunately with this plan I will have to drop research.

I'm definitely not someone who can study for a month and get a 35. I know I have a lot of work to do, so I want to put my hours in. Money is not too big an issue, so I think I will decide to take the class.

Regarding my schedule, I think it'll look more like:
9:30 - 12: class
Study afterwards until 6 or so
Rest after that

I think you're right about having breaks to manage burnout. Unfortunately with this plan I will have to drop research.

You do not need to drop the research if you can cut it back. 3 hours per day studying, plus the class, and you will do well. You do not need 6 hours to study every day, 3 enough unless you're doing a practice test that day. Take one day off per week, continually remind yourself how important this time is for your future, and you will not burnout.

You do not need to drop the research if you can cut it back. 3 hours per day studying, plus the class, and you will do well. You do not need 6 hours to study every day, 3 enough unless you're doing a practice test that day. Take one day off per week, continually remind yourself how important this time is for your future, and you will not burnout.

This is actually what I've been thinking (I know I seem to change my mind a lot). But what if I dropped the class and just studied a few hours after 6-7 each day and studied a bit during down time during research?

I actually have a lot of resources (full set of TBR, TBR practice exams, full sets of TPRH (2 editions, old and newer), Kaplan books, miscellaneous books). I'm thinking about maybe picking up Gunnertraining for extra practice problems. And I can just follow SN2ed or modify it slightly and study after research. If I feel ready by August, I'll take it -- otherwise I can keep preparing until a later date.

Damn I didn't realize premeds were going this hard on research, I got to step it up. And lol at people accusing the op of not having a social life, jeez. It's an ideal schedule we all make them. I never make schedules where I'm like 8-11pm: hang out with friends. Who does that. You just leave 8pm to midnight vague and do what you feel.

Last edited:
If I feel ready by August, I'll take it -- otherwise I can keep preparing until a later date.

Well, you gotta sign up soon as seats fill quick. You should pick a date and stick with it no matter what. It gets expensive to move the exam! (full disclosure, I had to do so, and I'm not happy about it).

Thanks for the input guys. If I decide not to take the MCAT class, then I'll be commuting from home (45 min drive each way) to the lab in both the morning and the evening. My schedule is currently:

6:30 - wake up
8 - get to lab
5 - finish work
6-7ish - come back home, eat
after 7: study

Do you think this is sustainable either? Even if I don't take the class, should I drop research?

Btw, I'm pretty shaky on my basic sciences, so I know I will need a lot of hard work/review...

Not sustainable. I tried this with an internship over the summer. You will be surprised how tired you are after a full day.

Especially because college doesn't prepare you for the 9-5 grind.

As someone who is becoming more of a morning person, I actually think that its good that you're getting up early to study; there are a lot of untapped hours in the morning that most college students don't utilize. But make sure you're getting enough sleep, and I would schedule in at least an hour a day to exercise or do something else that you enjoy. This schedule (at least to me, since I tend to follow a similar one with my own work) is doable without burning out, but only if you give yourself time to relax.