Would this be a violation of the honor code at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed a professor asking about an exam question, and in the e-mail I briefly described the question so he would know which one I was talking about. I got a rather angry reply saying that I had violated the honor code by recording a question after an exam in electronic format. I was pretty shocked that this was considered a violation of the honor code, since I used to do this all the time in undergrad. He just asked me not to do it again so I'm hoping I'm not in serious trouble for this, but the way he responded just made me feel kind of dumb, like it was common sense that what I did was cheating. Of course, I take full responsibility since I should have read the honor code in full and did not. But I'm just curious, would this be an honor code violation at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

you didn't do anything morally wrong.....but med school honor codes don't necessarily have anything to do with morals

Reactions: 14 users
One of three possibilities exist:

1) your prof is a douche.
2) your prof is trolling you and is actually super awesome.
3) there is more to this story.

Most likely 1 or 3, possibly 2.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you didn't do anything morally wrong.....but med school honor codes don't necessarily have anything to do with morals

Yeah I mean I kind of get why it's against the honor code, it just seems a bit ridiculous. Like is someone seriously going to hack my or his email, see the e-mail I sent him, and use that knowledge to cheat on the exam? I know people do crazy things but that seems very unlikely!

One of three possibilities exist:

1) your prof is a douche.
2) your prof is trolling you and is actually super awesome.
3) there is more to this story.

Most likely 1 or 3, possibly 2.

He seems like a nice guy in general haha but definitely not trolling me. There's really not more to the story, I just made a mistake due to my ignorance of the honor code, and it will probably not be pursued any further than the reprimanding I already received (I hope...). I'm just curious to know what others think of e-mailing the professor about an exam question being an honor code violation.

He seems like a nice guy in general haha but definitely not trolling me. There's really not more to the story, I just made a mistake due to my ignorance of the honor code, and it will probably not be pursued any further than the reprimanding I already received (I hope...). I'm just curious to know what others think of e-mailing the professor about an exam question being an honor code violation.
It's not. He's stupid. Unless you literally typed the question out word for word or CC'd your entire class, there is nothing wrong with this.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not. He's stupid. Unless you literally typed the question out word for word or CC'd your entire class, there is nothing wrong with this.

It was a summary of the question, maybe it was too detailed, but I guess I'm not sure where to draw the line for what is too detailed? I basically said, "On today's exam, there was a question about how to treat *insert condition here*. Two of the answer options were *option a* and *option b*." Then I just went into my reasoning about why I thought both of those answer options were technically correct.

It was a summary of the question, maybe it was too detailed, but I guess I'm not sure where to draw the line for what is too detailed? I basically said, "On today's exam, there was a question about how to treat *insert condition here*. Two of the answer options were *option a* and *option b*." Then I just went into my reasoning about why I thought both of those answer options were technically correct.
Oh definitely 2 then. You see, by pulling up this honor code stuff he can avoid any sort of actual argument. This is an advanced professor tactic that is finely executed in this example.

Don't worry about it and just move on.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh definitely 2 then. You see, by pulling up this honor code stuff he can avoid any sort of actual argument. This is an advanced professor tactic that is finely executed in this example.

Don't worry about it and just move on.

Hahaha. What's funny is that he went on to say that the question wasn't going to be counted because it was unfair.

This would be an honor code violation at my school. We take NBME exams, so we are forced to follow all of their regulations on question discussion, etc.

Last edited:
This would be an honor code violation at my school. We take NMBE exams, so we are forced to follow all of their regulations on question discussion, etc.

That makes sense. Our exams are not NMBE.

Edit: I thought it was NBME but now I'm doubting myself lol

I emailed a professor asking about an exam question, and in the e-mail I briefly described the question so he would know which one I was talking about. I got a rather angry reply saying that I had violated the honor code by recording a question after an exam in electronic format. I was pretty shocked that this was considered a violation of the honor code, since I used to do this all the time in undergrad. He just asked me not to do it again so I'm hoping I'm not in serious trouble for this, but the way he responded just made me feel kind of dumb, like it was common sense that what I did was cheating. Of course, I take full responsibility since I should have read the honor code in full and did not. But I'm just curious, would this be an honor code violation at other schools?

They're more like guidelines. :)

Nevertheless-- keep to the code.

Reactions: 3 users
Our professors would've been willing to answer a question like that in their office, especially if you were doing an exam review with the exam in front of you, or kept it vague in your email. I can see where they don't want details of questions written down, particularly if your exams are NBME. Doubt it's an honor code violation that will actually go anywhere, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like your professor has a super long steel rod shoved too far up his rectum that it is actually starting to perforate his colon making him antsy

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like your professor has a super long steel rod shoved too far up his rectum that it is actually starting to perforate his colon making him antsy

Can't make that diagnosis from the history alone. Need the physical exam. Will expect a full report from the OP.

Reactions: 1 user
We had people post all the questions they had about particular questions online and the prfessors responded so that all may benefit

We even got our exams back to take a look after they were graded so we could work out