CalBear2009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone,

I have been soo blessed to get accepted to my dream school. I'm almost 100% sure that I want to attend, and will be withdrawing from my two other acceptances.

At one of the schools I am withdrawing from, my best friend is currently waitlisted and would do anything to attend. Would it be poor form, or hurt his chances if I mentioned him as a good candidate to pull from the wait list in my withdraw letter.

This idea started as a joke, but we got to thinking about it. We have very similar applications and were even involved with the same ECs. Maybe the mention of his name would help him stick out in their minds. I just don't want to come off as someone telling this school how to run admissions and ruin my friend's chance.

Basically I don't want to do anything to affect his chances in a negative way.

b-real

What, me worry?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
at a place called vertigo
Status
Attending Physician
I think it's bad form. What kind of pull do you expect to have? If I were a committee member, it would come off as you trying to supplant my judgment for yours. You're an accepted applicant, but you don't have any real business to recommend another candidate.

BoredRlyin

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Denver
Status
Medical Student
I think it's bad form. What kind of pull do you expect to have? If I were a committee member, it would come off as you trying to supplant my judgment for yours. You're an accepted applicant, but you don't have any real business to recommend another candidate.
I'll echo b-real that your recommendation won't be factored at all into a waitlist decision. Waitlists don't work that way. People are ahead of him, and people are behind him. Trust me, all he can hope for is that enough people like you will withdraw acceptances.

CalBear2009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for responding. What you guys are saying was my gut. I'm probably not gonna do anything, just a musing.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It would show such poor judgment that, if I were the adcom, I would contact the school that you plan to attend and recommend that they rescind your acceptance.

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
It would show such poor judgment that, if I were the adcom, I would contact the school that you plan to attend and recommend that they rescind your acceptance.
That's a little over the top.

But I echo others' opinions. I wouldn't do it.

Pedie Packs

Alpha Male
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah don't do it.... please, lol. I understand the looking out but as others have said, it's just not your place to do so.

Congrats on UCSF :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

CalBear2009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hahahaha. I knew some people on SDN would be a little dramatic with this lol.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do it. If you read my post, it was just an idea that started from a joke. My gut all along was that it was not the best idea, but my friend wanted to know what you guys thought.

I really appreciate the constructive criticism that most of you guys gave.

Good luck to all of you applying!

Aug 4, 2009
Status
Congrats on UCSF. :biglove:

But you know, if that school is UCI, I remember them saying on interview day that they'll try to replace the withdrawn acceptee with someone who is very similar...with all luck and hope, maybe it'll be him! :)

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hahahaha. I knew some people on SDN would be a little dramatic with this lol.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do it. If you read my post, it was just an idea that started from a joke. My gut all along was that it was not the best idea, but my friend wanted to know what you guys thought.

I really appreciate the constructive criticism that most of you guys gave.

Good luck to all of you applying!
Geez, I was kidding!!