Would this be considered clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to volunteer at a center for disabled people b/c I'm interested in pm&r, would this description of the place be considered clinical for med schools?

"Provide companionship to adults with disabilities in a day program or residential setting."

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds promising but I need a longer description to be sure.

It sounds promising but I need a longer description to be sure.

It also says this:
"
Volunteers have an enormous impact on the health and well-being of the individuals and families. Those who volunteer their talents also contribute significantly to the growth and long-term viability of the organization. Just some of the various volunteer opportunities include:

• Hands-on, administrative, grounds and facilities work
  • Direct service, mentoring, tutoring and caring for individuals with disabilities
  • Student community projects
  • Group projects/work days (corporate, religious groups, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that you are working with patients directly to improve their care so I think it qualifies. I'd get other opinions to be sure though.

It appears that you are working with patients directly to improve their care so I think it qualifies. I'd get other opinions to be sure though.

Okay, thank you!

Are they patients or are they disabled individuals going along with their lives. It is important to know about people different from yourself and volunteering in "non-clinical" settings where you interact with people who need help and who are different from the people you usually interact with is beneficial.

If there are no doctors in sight and no "treatment" being provided under a doctor's orders, then you can't really say that it is "clinical" because these are just people, not "patients".

If you go to the movies with an amputee, are you providing a clinical service??

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. I'm wondering what you think of this description, I guess I'm close enough to smell patients...so it must be clincal??

"
Our Administrative Assistants help us deliver faster and more efficient service to our patients. Administrative Assistants are given a variety of tasks inside our office...

• Organizing medical charts
  • Auditing Charts & Payroll
  • Answering Phones
  • Organizing inventory of patient supplies
  • Tuck-In program
  • Other special projects
This is a great opportunity to build your office work experience and build a list of references. Volunteers will work inside our office. We are a friendly office and we look forward to make you part of our team!

It only counts if you work with patients. Administrative work doesn't count.

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering what you think of this description, I guess I'm close enough to smell patients...so it must be clincal??

"
Our Administrative Assistants help us deliver faster and more efficient service to our patients. Administrative Assistants are given a variety of tasks inside our office...

• Organizing medical charts
  • Auditing Charts & Payroll
  • Answering Phones
  • Organizing inventory of patient supplies
  • Tuck-In program
  • Other special projects
This is a great opportunity to build your office work experience and build a list of references. Volunteers will work inside our office. We are a friendly office and we look forward to make you part of our team!
This sounds, from the description, like it is simply administrative, not patient care. It even says it "is a great opportunity to build you office work experience."

This sounds, from the description, like it is simply administrative, not patient care. It even says it "is a great opportunity to build you office work experience."

Okay thanks, guess I'll just stick with a hospital.