Would this be taboo to talk about? (Secondary Essay Advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlazinBandit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am prewriting secondaries and EVMS has a question asking what I would like least about being a physician. I was thinking of writing about the amount of medical documentation needed. There are so many clicks and things to keep track of. I understand its importance for legal purposes and establishing a history of care since I work as a scribe. However, I can't imagine doing all of it myself while putting in orders and also seeing patients as a physician if I didn't have a scribe myself. I feel like it would take time away from seeing patients.

Would this be alright to write about or should I dig deeper? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to talk about this or something similar to it as well. The increasing bureaucratization of medicine, dealing with insurance, hence the paperwork and how it detracts from patient time. Someone said to talk about how I would deal with that but honestly don't exactly have an answer for that lol

Guys the secondaries should be expression of what you feel , so honestly, no one’s advice should matter , you know?

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the poster above. Write about what you feel is the most true answer for you. One thing to keep in mind though is that this question is also probing how well you understand the field. Make sure whatever you put is based in experience and not assumptionS of what record keeping is like.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys the secondaries should be expression of what you feel , so honestly, no one’s advice should matter , you know?
You're very right! I think I'm just being neurotic. Need to just trust my gut and honest feelings. thank you!

I am prewriting secondaries and EVMS has a question asking what I would like least about being a physician. I was thinking of writing about the amount of medical documentation needed. There are so many clicks and things to keep track of. I understand its importance for legal purposes and establishing a history of care since I work as a scribe. However, I can't imagine doing all of it myself while putting in orders and also seeing patients as a physician if I didn't have a scribe myself. I feel like it would take time away from seeing patients.

Would this be alright to write about or should I dig deeper? Any advice is appreciated.
No, this would be a realistic assessment of the minuses of a career in medicine, and you're refreshingly astute on this.

Reactions: 1 user
BlazinBandit said:

Okay to write about; just be sure to explain your reasoning and that you're willing to take on this responsibility even though you'd rather have the scribe do it