Would this change an update letter into a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
I plan to send a brief update to my dream school (1-2 short paragraphs / half page) regarding a new activity which addresses a slight weakness in my app. If I include a single sentence in the update letter saying something like "I would like to update you, my top choice, about...", would that turn my update letter into a letter of intent? Or would this be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

To my understanding, a letter of intent is where you explicitly promise to attend and decline all other offers if given admission. Just letting them know that they are your top choice does not make your letter a letter of intent.

No, and they probably won't care at all

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to send a brief update to my dream school (1-2 short paragraphs / half page) regarding a new activity which addresses a slight weakness in my app. If I include a single sentence in the update letter saying something like "I would like to update you, my top choice, about...", would that turn my update letter into a letter of intent? Or would this be fine?
That's nothing like a letter of intent. The latter is more like what you hear in a bar when the desperate guy is telling the hot woman "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Generic things like that are likely to be glossed over. They are non-specific. Show them they are your top choice by the research you do about them.

If you can copy-paste the wording you're using into any school, maybe work on it a bit more until you're satisfied it says what you want it to say and that it will reflect your interest in that school specifically. I think in our world, copy-paste/boilerplate is easy to detect. I'm not in admissions though, so not an expert.