• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Would this count as a physicians letter of recommendation?

RipSpamilton

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I'm on the verge of sending out my AMCAS/AACOMAS applications and had a question about one of my letter of recommendations. I have an extremely strong LOR from my Community College A&P professor who is an MD and Director of Cancer Research at a company that shall not be named for purposes of anonymity. I have not shadowed him in a clinical aspect, but have developed a strong and professional friendship with him after my class, and he has been my mentor throughout the last 5 years, guiding me through my journey to becoming a physician.

For the physician letter of recommendation requirement (for some schools), would this LOR satisfy it? I have shadowed many other physicians and have a good amount of shadowing hours, yet I never fully felt comfortable requesting a letter of recommendation from them. They gave up a good amount of their time teaching me and allowing me to observe, and I did not want place an extra burden on their already busy lives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tyrese

Ty Guy, Oh My!
Jun 3, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I have shadowed many other physicians and have a good amount of shadowing hours, yet I never fully felt comfortable requesting a letter of recommendation from them. They gave up a good amount of their time teaching me and allowing me to observe, and I did not want place an extra burden on their already busy lives.

Honestly, I resonate with this sentiment. I feel a sense of selfishness when wishing to request a LOR from any person, let alone a physician. I get that it's necessary, but deep down, I feel like a burden on them. :confused:
I have a lot of respect for the faculty or physician that mentored me, and I feel like this would detract a lot from our relationship. Of course, this is probably very silly to others around here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
About the Ads

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Hello everyone,

I'm on the verge of sending out my AMCAS/AACOMAS applications and had a question about one of my letter of recommendations. I have an extremely strong LOR from my Community College A&P professor who is an MD and Director of Cancer Research at a company that shall not be named for purposes of anonymity. I have not shadowed him in a clinical aspect, but have developed a strong and professional friendship with him after my class, and he has been my mentor throughout the last 5 years, guiding me through my journey to becoming a physician.

For the physician letter of recommendation requirement (for some schools), would this LOR satisfy it? I have shadowed many other physicians and have a good amount of shadowing hours, yet I never fully felt comfortable requesting a letter of recommendation from them. They gave up a good amount of their time teaching me and allowing me to observe, and I did not want place an extra burden on their already busy lives.
If they ask for a "physician letter" it should be fine.
If they ask for a "clinical" letter, maybe try one of the others...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RipSpamilton

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Honestly, I resonate with this sentiment. I feel a sense of selfishness when wishing to request a LOR from any person, let alone a physician. I get that it's necessary, but deep down, I feel like a burden on them. :confused:
I have a lot of respect for the faculty or physician that mentored me, and I feel like this would detract a lot from our relationship. Of course, this is probably very silly to others around here.

This! I'm relieved to hear someone feels the same way I do :D

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.