Would this count as research or just a regular course?

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
I'm taking a course this school year which is described as a "unique undergraduate research experience" and requires extra time outside of the regularly scheduled hours for lab work.

Would this possibly be counted as a research experience or would it just be considered a regular course?

Generally I believe those count as class hours, but I am not 100% sure. Every UG has something like this.

Reactions: DocMcMommy

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I'm taking a course this school year which is described as a "unique undergraduate research experience" and requires extra time outside of the regularly scheduled hours for lab work.

Would this possibly be counted as a research experience or would it just be considered a regular course?
It depends on the goal of the class and your role in the lab. Do you have any more detailed information than what you've provided? Will you engage in an original, hypothesis-driven scholarly investigation that will result in potentially publishable data?

OP
DocMcMommy

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
I'm not sure, entirely. It's a two-semester sequence and the first half description says it emphasizes independent research, but also focuses on laboratory techniques. I believe this is only the second or third year this specific course sequence has been offered at my school. It *looks* like a couple of students from previous semesters did a research presentation (based on an article I'm reading off of my school's website...).

I guess once the class starts I will know more specifics for it.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not sure, entirely. It's a two-semester sequence and the first half description says it emphasizes independent research, but also focuses on laboratory techniques. I believe this is only the second or third year this specific course sequence has been offered at my school. It *looks* like a couple of students from previous semesters did a research presentation (based on an article I'm reading off of my school's website...).

Come back and let us know so we can provide more targeted input.

The problem with you getting credit for it is that it is quite literally, a class. @gyngyn any opinion?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The problem with you getting credit for it is that it is quite literally, a class.
A lot of applicants get course credit for a research experience (even though there is no classroom component) and list it in their Activities section.

A lot of applicants get course credit for a research experience (even though there is no classroom component) and list it in their Activities section.
Interesting, I wasn't planning on reporting mine, but I'll go for it i guess.

Reactions: Catalystik

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Interesting, I wasn't planning on reporting mine, but I'll go for it i guess.
Just be sure it has research qualifying elements, such that you were able to engage in an original, hypothesis-driven scholarly investigation that could result in potentially publishable data.

Just be sure it has research qualifying elements, such that you were able to engage in an original, hypothesis-driven scholarly investigation that could result in potentially publishable data.
It was a continuation of our summer project, but since they couldn't pay us, we were given credit. I don't see any way it wouldn't fit the criteria :)

Feb 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd email the instructor and ask for their brief introduction or the syllabus, if it's available.