Would this course be classified as BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hi!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So at my university, we take certain core classes as part of the honors curriculum. On of them has a course listing under PHYS as in physics. The syllabus basically says that we will discuss the discovery and history of the electromagnetic spectrum, nuclear fission and issues related to nuclear power/weapons, the discovery of semiconductors, and the paradigm shift of quantum mechanics. So while we are learning about the history and discovery of topics in physics, we are not really doing any physics as you would in an actual physics class. However, would I still be able to classify this as BCPM and use the syllabus as my argument if anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it sounds like a science course? I don't.

They don't allow engineering courses, which are applied sciences. A history of the sciences seems... unlikely.

Put it down as BCPM. Nothing negative happens if they disagree- depending on who's reviewing your app, they may take the course designation "PHYS" over the content of the course. For example, even though AMCAS clearly states that nutrition course are not BCPM, I know people who took a "Human Nutrition" course filed under "BIO" and it passed the filter. It was Biochem heavy rather than "Calories in calories out" so that makes sense, but I know the reviewer didn't dig up the syllabus to validate the "BIO" designation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quote from AMACS below. What is the course title on the transcript? Whatever it may be, I agree with the poster that suggested you list it as BCPM . AMCAS will be reclassify if need be and it wont cause you any issue

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf (page 41)

"Course Classification
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course.
"

Really? Maybe I need to re-think my classifications... If the content is 'history of...', why would it count as a BMCP? I'm not sure how that makes sense given how AAMC treats engineering course.

What about an engineering course that is not listed as one of the types of engineering ACMAS lists? I'm thinking something like financial engineering and operations research.

AMCAS doesn't have a course description.
Classify it how you think it's best. If they think the title and course number sounds like it should be elsewhere they're reclassify it.