Would this prevent me from earning my medical license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future29

Reaction score
Answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on why you were terminated....

Generic reasons. Nothing unlawful or extreme.

I assume it would be ok because I know many people who have been terminated from entry level healthcare jobs before going to medical school, so I doubt that it would influence receiving a medical license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generic reasons. Nothing unlawful or extreme.

I assume it would be ok because I know many people who have been terminated from entry level healthcare jobs before going to medical school, so I doubt that it would influence receiving a medical license.

You're asking us to tell you what a licensing board will decide, so unless you intend to tell the board "Generic reasons. Nothing unlawful or extreme.*", then you need to tell us what you'll tell the board, assuming you want accurate information.

*Don't do that.

Reactions: 2 users
You're asking us to tell you what a licensing board will decide, so unless you intend to tell the board "Generic reasons. Nothing unlawful or extreme.*", then you need to tell us what you'll tell the board, assuming you want accurate information.

*Don't do that.

Let's say it was a position where the said person wasn't keeping up very well.

Last edited:
Hello, the medical license where I may want to practice includes a statement asking for all positions in health care I have even been terminated from.

Would being terminated from an MA/medical scribe/nursing assistant/ENT type of position prevent a medical license if it was prior to even being admitted to medical school?

Depends on why you were terminated. If the reason involved direct patient care issues, it could result in more information needing to be provided (but still probably wouldn't affect licensure if you made it through med school +/- residency without issue. Just might delay it). If it was due to other issues (stuff that didn't affect patient care), no one will care.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you lost a previous health care license for legal reasons you'll probably be fine

I hear premeds talking all the time how they were terminated from a so-so MA, scribe, EMT, etc. position who are in medical school or practicing now, so it just seems to make sense that it wouldn't influence their residency, licensing, etc. down the way.

Depends on why you were terminated. If the reason involved direct patient care issues, it could result in more information needing to be provided (but still probably wouldn't affect licensure if you made it through med school +/- residency without issue. Just might delay it). If it was due to other issues (stuff that didn't affect patient care), no one will care.

What do you consider direct patient care issues?

Would I need documentation from HR to give the the licensing board?

Last edited:
I hear premeds talking all the time how they were terminated from a so-so MA, scribe, EMT, etc. position who are in medical school or practicing now, so it just seems to make sense that it wouldn't influence their residency, licensing, etc. down the way.
Licensing is a regulatory process, it's not like they're trying to hire you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, the medical license where said person may want to practice includes a statement asking for all positions in health care said person has even been terminated from.

Would being terminated from an MA/medical scribe/nursing assistant/EMT type of position prevent a medical license if it was prior to even being admitted to medical school?
We’re you fired or was your cert revoked?

That's what the general consensus seems to be, but for some reason, I'm still not feeling great about it.
are you in medical school? If so , go talk to one of your deans about this. This is really not a big deal IMO. Unless you got fired for moral turpitude reasons , even then they will likely not throw away a physician for that , unless charges were brought up and convictions were handed out.

are you in medical school? If so , go talk to one of your deans about this. This is really not a big deal IMO. Unless you got fired for moral turpitude reasons , even then they will likely not throw away a physician for that , unless charges were brought up and convictions were handed out.

Yes, I'm a few years in. I never got terminated for moral turpitude reasons or was charged with anything. It is just a typical entry level health care job that is associated with a high turn over rate for premeds.

Yes, I'm a few years in. I never got terminated for moral turpitude reasons or were charged with anything. It is just a typical entry level health care job that is associated with a high turn over rate for premeds.
think about it critically. What is the purpose of medical boards? 1. to cover their behinds 2. to show that physicans self regulate 3. to protect the public. Now ask your self this , would denying you a license help any of those missions?

think about it critically. What is the purpose of medical boards? 1. to cover their behinds 2. to show that physicans self regulate 3. to protect the public. Now ask your self this , would denying you a license lead help any of those missions?

Good point, it would not. However, I just have a lot to risk (large debt, time, effort), and so I wanted to be sure that everything was fine with this situation.

Good point, it would not. However, I just have a lot to risk (large debt, time, effort), and so I wanted to be sure that everything was fine with this situation.
can you change anything at this point? its not like you can go back and get unfired. Or not attend medical school. Stay the path, keep your nose clean, get a lawyer and grovel if it comes down to it, or look for states with less strenuous board requirements.

Tell us why you got fired. You are completely anonymous anyway.

can you change anything at this point? its not like you can go back and get unfired. Or not attend medical school. Stay the path, keep your nose clean, get a lawyer and grovel if it comes down to it, or look for states with less strenuous board requirements.

Tell us why you got fired. You are completely anonymous anyway.

Very true. Said person just wasn't keeping up very well with the job at the time. I know that sounds generic, but that's all it was.

Very true. Said person just wasn't keeping up very well with the job at the time. I know that sounds generic, but that's all it was.
If you have this much anxiety... go talk to your counseling center. Dead serious.

If you have this much anxiety... go talk to your counseling center. Dead serious.

I'm not sure if the anxiety is warranted or not, but I did want to be as careful as possible. It's just the thought of not being able to get a license after medical school and residency is a tough one to swallow. But you are right, this situation is probably not worth worrying about.

If it was a productivity issue, I wouldn't worry. If it didn't lead to the loss of a clinical license, I wouldn't worry. You don't have to report prior employment (from what I remember, at least for Pennsylvania) so specifically. There are usually generic questions asking if you ever had a license revoked, lawsuit against you, etc.

If it was a productivity issue, I wouldn't worry. If it didn't lead to the loss of a clinical license, I wouldn't worry. You don't have to report prior employment (from what I remember, at least for Pennsylvania) so specifically. There are usually generic questions asking if you ever had a license revoked, lawsuit against you, etc.

You're probably right, I'm probably overthinking this. Some states require a brief explanation for any employment, some for just clinical employment, and some for neither. In this situation, no license or certification was lost, so I can say "no" to the ones that specify that. Some questions just want to know about any and all employment issues anywhere, whether a license or certification was involved or not.

Last edited:
If what you did to get fired did not lead to a revoking of the license or certification to be a MA or CNA or whatever, then yes, mention it, but no, it should not affect your ability to obtain a medical license.

You’re still being cryptic, but if the person was just too slow, then no, I would not expect that alone to affect licensing.
Licensing is a regulatory process, it's not like they're trying to hire you
If it was a productivity issue, I wouldn't worry. If it didn't lead to the loss of a clinical license, I wouldn't worry.
If what you did to get fired did not lead to a revoking of the license or certification to be a MA or CNA or whatever, then yes, mention it, but no, it should not affect your ability to obtain a medical license.

Lets say my friend was medical scribe for a scribing company before he went to medical school. He was terminated for not performing that well, made too many important significant errors and significant inaccuracies in the chart, and didn't do well on the scribe assessment and reassessment exams. I don't think scribes have actual certifications. Would this affect his ability to obtain a medical license?

Last edited:
Lets say my friend was medical scribe for a scribing company before he went to medical school. He was terminated for not performing that well, made too many important significant errors and inaccuracies in the chart, and didn't do well on the scribe assessment and reassessment exams. I don't think scribes have actual certifications. Would this affect his ability to obtain a medical license?
Oh my god no

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my god no

Would it affect the medical license, even to the states that one would explicitly have to disclose this to on the medical license application (some ask for termination of any employment, and some ask for termination of any hospital employment)?

Would it affect the medical license, even to the states that one would explicitly have to disclose this to on the medical license application (some ask for termination of any employment, and some ask for termination of any hospital employment)?

no. not realistically, see my point about the mission of boards above.

Just feeling anxious said person will have to talk about that.
You have no reason to be. They're looking for things like loss of licensure from another profession due to misconduct, drug diversion, and sexual misconduct, not "I wasn't a good scribe."

You have no reason to be. They're looking for things like loss of licensure from another profession due to misconduct, drug diversion, and sexual misconduct, not "I wasn't a good scribe."

Only caveat is that if this person performed that poorly as a scribe, they may have problems in medical school.

I will say, don’t worry about this. Easier said than done, my personality is similar to yours (from what I can deduce over a message board). If there are other things getting you this anxious, I’d recommend talking with someone.

Lets say my friend was medical scribe for a scribing company before he went to medical school. He was terminated for not performing that well, made too many important significant errors and significant inaccuracies in the chart, and didn't do well on the scribe assessment and reassessment exams. I don't think scribes have actual certifications. Would this affect his ability to obtain a medical license?

No issues with licensing or the medical board for being deficient at a previous job. Their main concern should be to not be deficient at being a physician so that they can keep their license.

I will say, don’t worry about this. Easier said than done, my personality is similar to yours (from what I can deduce over a message board). If there are other things getting you this anxious, I’d recommend talking with someone.
No issues with licensing or the medical board for being deficient at a previous job. Their main concern should be to not be deficient at being a physician so that they can keep their license.

Well, if it was a job outside of health care, said person wouldn't care as much. Since it was a health care job, and also a job where the tasks can be similar to a physician (writing patient charts), the person didn't know if the board would think that having trouble writing charts as scribe would somehow translate over that as a physician. Would this be a problem?

Although, the person does recognize after being on both sides of the coin how different a scribe is from training in/after medical school. Also the huge time difference in scribing before medical school and applying for a license.

Last edited:
Said person needs to take a chill pill. If said person, after the exhaustive replies and assurances made in this thread, still is feeling anxious then said person should talk to a legal professional that is likely available in said person's medical school. Said me.

Reactions: 10 users
Said person needs to take a chill pill. If said person, after the exhaustive replies and assurances made in this thread, still is feeling anxious then said person should talk to a legal professional that is likely available in said person's medical school. Said me.
They need a psychiatric professional, not a legal one

Reactions: 2 users

Can't argue with that! I know you can find other physicians medical licenses through public records. Would the public be able to access failure as a scribe via this information somehow?

Umm how would anyone on a medical board know you got fired for a non physician job unless you tell them? There is no paper trail unless you were somehow involved in a lawsuit. When you become a physician and get your first license, that’s when the paper trail starts and it follows you around until you retire. I wouldn’t mention it.

Reactions: 1 users
Umm how would anyone on a medical board know you got fired for a non physician job unless you tell them? There is no paper trail unless you were somehow involved in a lawsuit. When you become a physician and get your first license, that’s when the paper trail starts and it follows you around until you retire. I wouldn’t mention it.

I figured it would be a pretty extensive process, more so than any application before that period. For example, I have "heard" that their background checks go beyond that of just ordering a typical background check.

I figured it would be a pretty extensive process, more so than any application before that period. For example, I have "heard" that their background checks go beyond that of just ordering a typical background check.
No. They don’t. All they care about is that you: 1) have a degree/boards, 2) aren’t a criminal, and 3) aren’t a lawsuit magnet.

No. They don’t. All they care about is that you: 1) have a degree/boards, 2) aren’t a criminal, and 3) aren’t a lawsuit magnet.

I know that when you sign up for a medical license, it can be seen by the public online. Assuming for each state that asks about failed health care jobs, Would it include information about failure to be a scribe to the public?