Would this really hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have reread through my application and I thought that to a certain extent it does not really convey my experiences with the health care system in the US. A couple of years ago I worked with a doctor for 6 month who saw a lot of uninsured in his practice, but I realized that I included very little about this in the AMCAS or the secondaries. I thought to write an essay about the uninsured and the way this experience influenced me. But I don't know if it is such a good idea. It is something that it is very important to me because I think that everyone should receive the health care they need regardless of whether they can pay for it or not. But I don't know if the medical schools like to hear about the bad parts of our health care system. Would it hurt me if I write such an essay?
Any opinions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

That is exactly what I did with my essay. I volunteered at a free clinic for years. I very much enjoyed the experiance. It was a Huge part of my essay. I also want to do rural medicine which I wrote about in my essay.

If it is something that is important to you and is an indicater about the type of person you are, then you should, without a doubt include it in your essay.

Originally posted by Fritz
Hi everyone.

I have reread through my application and I thought that to a certain extent it does not really convey my experiences with the health care system in the US. A couple of years ago I worked with a doctor for 6 month who saw a lot of uninsured in his practice, but I realized that I included very little about this in the AMCAS or the secondaries. I thought to write an essay about the uninsured and the way this experience influenced me. But I don't know if it is such a good idea. It is something that it is very important to me because I think that everyone should receive the health care they need regardless of whether they can pay for it or not. But I don't know if the medical schools like to hear about the bad parts of our health care system. Would it hurt me if I write such an essay?
Any opinions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

you would be crazy *not* to write about that experience. it's exactly the kind of thing med schools want to hear. they fully realize that the healthcare system isn't perfect and they want to train physicians who will be active leaders in changing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
they fully realize that the healthcare system isn't perfect and they want to train physicians who will be active leaders in changing it.

And the more leaders that came from their medical school, the better they look, and the more they can charge for an education :)