Would this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSoBrightMaybe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently on the waitlist for my orgo 2 class. I've been thinking, and I'm not so sure that I want to take it.

To be honest, Orgo 2 feels like such a big waste to me. The medical schools I'm interested in applying to don't require it, and I can learn the material on my own when studying for the MCAT.

I was not even planning on taking it, but I got a B in Orgo 1 (completely my fault; I didn't study enough). I thought that it would look good to Medical schools if I got an A in orgo 2, but getting a high MCAT score would also look good.

I just want some advice. If I don't take orgo 2 this semester I will begin to study for the MCAT as I plan to take it next year.

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Take it.

Your preferred med schools might not require it, but many do, and the application process is competitive. You're not guaranteed to get an interview or acceptance at your preferred schools - if you get accepted to a school that requires it and don't have it, it would really suck to have to scramble at the last minute to find a place to take it so you don't get your acceptance rescinded.

Reactions: 4 users
I would still take OChem 2. A lot of schools still required it this cycle, so why would you narrow down your selection of schools?
It's a tough process, don't put yourself at a disadvantage by skipping the class.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought a lot of the concepts taught in Orgo 2 were very helpful for understanding biochem, and there is also a small amount on the MCAT. And many medical schools require one year of organic chemistry so not taking it might be risky.

Reactions: 1 users
Just take orgo 2. It's easier to study for the MCAT after you've taken all of the pre reqs, and most medical schools still require it. My MCAT test had two passages on carbonyl chemistry (organic 2).

Organic 2 will also make biochemistry concepts much easier to understand and more intuitive.

Take it.

Your preferred med schools might not require it, but many do, and the application process is competitive. You're not guaranteed to get an interview or acceptance at your preferred schools - if you get accepted to a school that requires it and don't have it, it would really suck to have to scramble at the last minute to find a place to take it so you don't get your acceptance rescinded.

I don't plan on applying to more than 30 schools. I'm sure that there are 30 MD schools out there that don't require orgo 2. I'll make a complete list soon, but I already have 7.

If it comes down to having to take it at the last second, I could easily take the 5 week summer course at my community college.

Just take orgo 2. It's easier to study for the MCAT after you've taken all of the pre reqs, and most medical schools still require it. My MCAT test had two passages on carbonyl chemistry (organic 2).

Organic 2 will also make biochemistry concepts much easier to understand and more intuitive.

I have a Kaplan MCAT book, and after flipping through it I've realized that I know about 10/12 chapters. The other 2 are just more reactions, and I already know the basics of them.

I'm sure that there are 30 MD schools out there that don't require orgo 2.

Yeah but are those 30 schools high ranked? Are they in places you would want to live? Do they have the types of programs you'd want to be a part of? What if you find an awesome school you particularly want to go to... but they require orgo 2. Like others said, don't limit yourself

Listen to everyone and take it.

In addition to what others said above, it may look like you chickened out of a challenge after your B in Ochem I. If even some schools don't require Ochem II, a lot of them "recommend" it (AKA it looks good to them).

I disagree. If your GPA is fine, and you don't need it for your degree, I think it is reasonable to not take it. If you do get accepted to a school that requires ochem 2, you just need to take it before you matriculate. I'm not saying that you definitely shouldn't take it, just that a lot of people on here aren't very receptive to ideas that do not conform to their stereotypical premed route.

I disagree. If your GPA is fine, and you don't need it for your degree, I think it is reasonable to not take it. If you do get accepted to a school that requires ochem 2, you just need to take it before you matriculate. I'm not saying that you definitely shouldn't take it, just that a lot of people on here aren't very receptive to ideas that do not conform to their stereotypical premed route.
I'm a nontrad. I'm very receptive to ideas that don't conform to the stereotypical premed route... just not ones that could cause problems with being able to matriculate.

The problem with not taking a class many schools require is some people have few or no acceptances early, and interview and/or get accepted off wait lists in the spring. If OP found out in April that he/she was accepted to a school that required orgo 2, and hadn't taken it yet, that could cause real problems - especially if that school didn't allow a person to take a self-paced online course for prereqs.

Just take it. You're unnecessarily precluding yourself from a lot of MD schools. Regardless, it is much better to have it done. What if you end up not applying to those schools? What if you have to attend other schools? Lots of other things can change.

I'm a nontrad. I'm very receptive to ideas that don't conform to the stereotypical premed route... just not ones that could cause problems with being able to matriculate.

The problem with not taking a class many schools require is some people have few or no acceptances early, and interview and/or get accepted off wait lists in the spring. If OP found out in April that he/she was accepted to a school that required orgo 2, and hadn't taken it yet, that could cause real problems - especially if that school didn't allow a person to take a self-paced online course for prereqs.

Is it something that benefits OP in every way? no. Is it something that could work, especially if OP wants to delay taking organic for whatever reason? definitely. Worst case scenario, OP is accepted to a school that requires organic 2, or decides it is a real possibility he could matriculate to a school that does, and takes it in the spring/summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it something that benefits OP in every way? no. Is it something that could work, especially if OP wants to delay taking organic for whatever reason? definitely. Worst case scenario, OP is accepted to a school that requires organic 2, or decides it is a real possibility he could matriculate to a school that does, and takes it in the spring/summer.

I agree. But I would most definitely plan on having it done before graduation (which should be in the Spring prior to matriculation at the latest). Many schools want prereqs completed and/or degrees to be conferred by as early as June of the matriculation year (and that is the only the earliest I have seen from the schools I may possibly matriculate at).

But it is required by quite a few schools. It is also tested on the MCAT (although Organic in general isn’t the highest yield topic to say the least). If I were OP, I’d just take it ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Worst case scenario, OP doesn't get in. That's one of the worst case scenarios here for the people on this site. I'd personally be shocked if they don't ask directly at an interview why you skipped organic 2. When given opportunities to showcase your abilities and you turn it down, it doesn't look good. Organic Chem isn't important necessarily because of the content, it's because it requires a different type of thinking and is challenging. They like to see that you can manage difficult courses and adapt, not that you know what happens in an Sn1 reaction.

Take the course, avoiding this notorious class will likely raise flags.

lol if advising someone that backing out of a challenge will look bad is "conforming" then yes, I am conforming.

So I'm currently on the waitlist for my orgo 2 class. I've been thinking, and I'm not so sure that I want to take it.

To be honest, Orgo 2 feels like such a big waste to me. The medical schools I'm interested in applying to don't require it, and I can learn the material on my own when studying for the MCAT.

I was not even planning on taking it, but I got a B in Orgo 1 (completely my fault; I didn't study enough). I thought that it would look good to Medical schools if I got an A in orgo 2, but getting a high MCAT score would also look good.

I just want some advice. If I don't take orgo 2 this semester I will begin to study for the MCAT as I plan to take it next year.

Thanks in advance...

that's a big if... can't just make decisions now with the idea that you're going to get a high MCAT, you may do very well but I don't think it's a good idea to bank on that
seems like taking orgo 2 now is a much safer bet

that's a big if... can't just make decisions now with the idea that you're going to get a high MCAT, you may do very well but I don't think it's a good idea to bank on that
seems like taking orgo 2 now is a much safer bet

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. As if anyone takes the MCAT not deciding that they'll get a high score.

Whether I take orgo 2 or not I'll be aiming for a high score. If I don't get it, I'll take it again until I get a good score. The reason we study so hard for the MCAT is because we don't want to have to take it another time.

Worst case scenario, OP doesn't get in. That's one of the worst case scenarios here for the people on this site. I'd personally be shocked if they don't ask directly at an interview why you skipped organic 2. When given opportunities to showcase your abilities and you turn it down, it doesn't look good. Organic Chem isn't important necessarily because of the content, it's because it requires a different type of thinking and is challenging. They like to see that you can manage difficult courses and adapt, not that you know what happens in an Sn1 reaction.

Take the course, avoiding this notorious class will likely raise flags.

If they ask I'll tell them I wasn't about to push myself an entire semester back just so I could take orgo. I'm on the waitlist right now and I don't see myself getting a spot in the class.

Also if it's such a big deal to medical schools, I can take it in the summer before entering.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. As if anyone takes the MCAT not deciding that they'll get a high score.

Whether I take orgo 2 or not I'll be aiming for a high score. If I don't get it, I'll take it again until I get a good score. The reason we study so hard for the MCAT is because we don't want to have to take it another time.

there's difference b/w hoping for a high score and making decisions with the assumption you're going to get a high score.... obviously everyone hopes for a high score.. it seems like one of the reasons you were considering not taking orgo 2 is that a high MCAT score will show adcoms you don't necessarily need it, I'm just saying don't bank on getting that high score, as someone above said prepare for the worst...

Why ask for help if you've already made up your mind?

Reactions: 1 users
If they ask I'll tell them I wasn't about to push myself an entire semester back just so I could take orgo. I'm on the waitlist right now and I don't see myself getting a spot in the class.

Also if it's such a big deal to medical schools, I can take it in the summer before entering.
Taking it in the summer before entering school still assumes that you are accepted.

Never assume an acceptance until you have that fat envelope in your hands that says accepted. Do your best to make yourself as attractive to medical schools as possible, but never assume yourself to be a shoe in. You can choose to not take orgo 2; but understand some people will see this as avoiding difficult courses.

Minimize matriculation issues. OP should obviously take orgo 2.

A med school that doesn’t require orgo 2 is a med school I wouldn’t want to go to

I guess you wouldn't want to go to U Chicago or the other top schools that no longer have required courses... even their recommendation only includes one semester. Wash U also only requires one semester as long as you take biochem.

OP should take the second semester, I'm just calling out your statement.

I withdraw my previous statement because I’m man enough to admit I was wrong.

But Idk what these med schools are smoking because Organic Chem 2 was more biologically related than Organic Chem 1.