Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

would this work?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by snowboarder3495, Dec 17, 2008.

1. snowboarder3495

Pre-Medical
    I'm currently a junior in college and have a good gpa at my university But thats with me getting a 4.0 the last 2 semesters and repeating 4 courses to make up for the 2.2 ave gpa I for my first 3 semesters of college.

the impression that I get is that the med schools I apply to won't see my actual grades, just the breakdown on the amcas, on which I only have about a 3.3 cmul and a 3.25 science since repeats are factored in. I was wondering if med schools get to see my transcript and if not, since the amcas factors in all my college grades ever, if I could, in theory just take like 20 credits this break at a community college near me for the cost of $2500 and bring my gpa up a ton.

Also, do a lot of schools have gpa cutoffs and if so, is it strict like you must have a 3.6 or is it more at the preson's discretion? Also, how hard is to do well on the mcats, and by that I mean how well did a person who got a 30 do on the sats, because I'm assuming they must be correlated to some degree.

2. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok... I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1. Unfortunately, AMCAS takes both the first grade you got in a course and the grade you got for repeating a course into consideration. Both are factored into your GPA, so it ends up being an average of the two attempts.

2. When AMCAS sends your grades to med schools, there is a breakdown of your overall GPA and science GPA. There is also a breakdown of each year's GPA. So schools will be able to see the lower GPA you started with. However, a strong upward trend can go a long way (trust me, I know!)

3. Schools can see where you took all of your classes and what your overall GPA was at each institution. In general, taking classes at a CC is frowned upon. If you can, I would highly recommend taking all your classes at a four year university.

4. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between SAT and MCAT scores. They are slightly different kinds of tests, so it is hard to say that someone who did well on the SAT will do as well on the MCAT. There have been a couple of threads with people reporting both their scores, if you want to do a search.

My advice would be to take as many classes as you can to continue to pull up your GPA. Better to stay an extra year in college than have to reapply and do an expensive post-bacc or SMP. Study really, really hard for the MCAT, this can make up for bad grades to an extent. Also, what EC's do you have? Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. snowboarder3495

Pre-Medical
    is that ahmed the terrorist as your picture? nice.

for ecs I have"

-a year of research in a really good lab doing orgo research, name on a couple of papers nothing big but the professor likes me a lot, and thats still going
    -rugby for the last year and a half, will probably be treasurer
    -pre-med society hoping for a position
    500 hours volunteering
    found a doctor through that aoa site who's acting as a mentor to me for the last year, I've shadowed him a lot on breaks and watched some surgeries
    -i want to go into pediatrics in some form so two summers ago I worked as a mentor/intern at this program for gifted inner-city youth, I loved that job
    -last summer I did bio-medical research and volunteered some more

thats about it that I can think of, I'll have really good recs and I've been studying for the mcats since last year so hopefully I'll do well.