Would working as a scrub tech be good experience for PA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already asked this question a while ago, but I'm asking again because I heard that PA schools want you to have previous healthcare experience with direct patient contact. I asked this question on some other forums and I've received positive replies, most people saying that if I want to go into surgery as a PA it would definitely be valuable experience, but then again PA schools want you to have previous experience with direct patient contact. Would working as a scrub tech still be good experience or do PA schools absolutely want direct patient contact?

Members don't see this ad.

I already asked this question a while ago, but I'm asking again because I heard that PA schools want you to have previous healthcare experience with direct patient contact. I asked this question on some other forums and I've received positive replies, most people saying that if I want to go into surgery as a PA it would definitely be valuable experience, but then again PA schools want you to have previous experience with direct patient contact. Would working as a scrub tech still be good experience or do PA schools absolutely want direct patient contact?

CST (the proper term) is direct patient contact. Can't get much more direct than having your hands stuffed in various body cavities.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I graduated from a CST program in 1981. It helped a great deal and it's a great foundation for PA school as well as PA practice.

A very good deal for the money. I highly recommend it before investing any amount of blood, sweat, or tears in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on all your other threads, I think you need to do some serious searching for what you want career wise.

Ph.D in neuroscience, or MD, or PA, or podiatry, or....

They are all VERY different fields. Before asking specific questions about how to get in to any program, try figuring out what you want to spend the rest of your life doing first...

Based on all your other threads, I think you need to do some serious searching for what you want career wise.

Ph.D in neuroscience, or MD, or PA, or podiatry, or....

They are all VERY different fields. Before asking specific questions about how to get in to any program, try figuring out what you want to spend the rest of your life doing first...

that's why CST is a great little appetizer for medicine. Wanna be a podiatrist ? scrub on a few stinky feet first then decide.

Wanna do neuro ? do a couple of craniotomies first and then decide.

Wanna spend the rest of your life dealing Egomaniac control freaks ? Scrub with a Surgeon ?

Wanna marry a ball busting, castrating she-wolf ? Scrub with a circulating nurse a couple of shifts.

that's why CST is a great little appetizer for medicine. Wanna be a podiatrist ? scrub on a few stinky feet first then decide.

Wanna spend the rest of your life dealing Egomaniac control freaks ? Scrub with a Surgeon ?

Wanna marry a ball busting, castrating she-wolf ? Scrub with a circulating nurse a couple of shifts.

It shouldn't take getting and additional 2 year degree to figure out your direction in life.

HAHAHA!!! This is soo true!!! Being a surgical assistant showed me that I need a sit down job ( AA school applicant) since I have to work AT LEAST till I am 72.....31 and counting!!! I need to be on the UN-sterile side of things!!!

It shouldn't take getting and additional 2 year degree to figure out your direction in life.
It took George Bush 8 years not counting credit for time on probation for DWI

You can train up in one year. Most people won't even hope to pay off their credit card balance by then