Would working in a urology clinic as a female raise any red flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
This was a bizarre post to read. I know a few females in med school pursuing urology, never second guessed it. It's a quite competitive residency actually. Adcoms may at best ask why you chose to scribe urology - just have a better answer than "there was nothing else available" and you should be fine. it's hard to keep a position you are truly unhappy with longterm though, if that is a concern to you I would think this through.
No idea what to say about your friends and family but the reality is as a med student you'll have to get comfortable with male and female reproductive systems at some point anyway. A urology experience is not abnormal in the slightest.

• Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly , what you wrote is a little weird... no medical specialty is weird , or embarrassing. It is only ppl attitudes that determine that . No adcom would think that at all . It’s all in your head.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly , what you wrote is a little weird... no medical specialty is weird , or embarrassing. It is only ppl attitudes that determine that . No adcom would think that at all . It’s all in your head.
It does generate a response from others. Has this not been your experience?

I don't think the specialty is weird; it is a necessary specialty.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a female and worked as a tech in a urology clinic for a while. Only green flags from what I've experienced. Did get a laugh from a few of my friends though. Urology is a specialty of medicine, every med student needs to learn to put in catheters, do genital exams, prostate exams, etc. It would be beneficial to get comfortable with being exposed to that material sooner rather than later imo

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in desperate need of clinical experience but these are quite limited in my area considering my large university is largely pre-med. I've seen a few postings for scribe positions in urology. The scribe would be present through the examination.

Male health is absolutely important, and I would remain professional in the position. But I would be hesitant to admit to others -friends, peers, family- that I work in urology. I know they would question my intent. I can't help but think that some adcoms would to themselves question my intent.

It admittedly does not interest me like cardio, obstetrics, or other specialties would. But I'm starting to feel like I can't afford to ignore these more available urology positions.

Thoughts?
Even though you are present during the examination you're probably not going to be looking at the patient because you'll be typing the exam and fixing the HPI/ROS while the provider is performing the exam. The patient will likely be draped/gowned. You're not really there to watch, you're there to document. Scribing in a specialty clinic is really valuable because you get to see how a clinic works, interact with MA's and admin folks, see procedures, and learn more about a particular specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
It is absolutely fine for a female to be an urologist or a male to be a gynecologist.

People will practice what their aptitude fits, and their minds desire.

Reactions: 3 users
Its quite common for women to see their GYN or urogynecologist for urinary/pelvic floor issues.

A woman with bladder cancer or kidney cancer is going to see a urologist and not a gynecologist. Keep that in mind.

Nothing weird about it at all. A man might scribe for an OB-GYN.

Reactions: 7 users
Half the kidneys and bladders in this world belong to women. So urology is not exclusively a male specialty, even though male reproductive organs are included in the scope of practice.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It does generate a response from others. Has this not been your experience?

I don't think the specialty is weird; it is a necessary specialty.
Not at all! If anything that person would seem pretty hardcore to me .
Honestly if your friends have attitudes like that you should educate them . Because this sort of culture creates stereotypes that prevent ppl from seeking medical help .

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I didn't intend to be so controversial. I can't imagine I'm the only one to have considered this. I know there's a general preference to have the same sex in the room during uncomfortable examinations. I know that many of those outside of the medical field don't understand the choice and I have witnessed such conversations.

I also know it's a necessary skill to grow thicker skin and to not worry about things like this. I think I have enough replies here.

I didn't intend to be so controversial. I can't imagine I'm the only one to have considered this. I know there's a general preference to have the same sex in the room during uncomfortable examinations. I know that many of those outside of the medical field don't understand the choice and I have witnessed such conversations.

I also know it's a necessary skill to grow thicker skin and to not worry about things like this. I think I have enough replies here.
Actually I talked to my male friends and all of them said they want female urologist (“because it’s more weird for them for a guy to touch them there”).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’m just gonna say one more thing - it’s normal to have weird thoughts like this early in your career . And it’s good that you are asking these questions now. You’ll get used to things , and you’ll see that once you get into medicine - things aren’t the way you think .

This was a bizarre post to read. I know a few females in med school pursuing urology, never second guessed it. It's a quite competitive residency actually. Adcoms may at best ask why you chose to scribe urology - just have a better answer than "there was nothing else available" and you should be fine. it's hard to keep a position you are truly unhappy with longterm though, if that is a concern to you I would think this through.
No idea what to say about your friends and family but the reality is as a med student you'll have to get comfortable with male and female reproductive systems at some point anyway. A urology experience is not abnormal in the slightest.
Sounds like you're really interested in scribing for a urologist and have concerns re: gender norms for urology and OB/GYN. The simple answer is that a female can be a urologist and a male can be an OB/GYN, but how many patients you attract and retain will depend on your bedside manner and if you tx your pts with respect, or not.

Reactions: 1 users