Would you accept a 'flat-earth'-er?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The one person on the internet that correctly identifies straw man. I swear that poor fallacy gets more bastardized every time it's used on Reddit.
And usually on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. I think a lot of religious beliefs and claims are just as, if not more, ludicrous, but I wouldn't reject all those applicants for their beliefs, and there would probably be at least a fair number of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) If medical schools value the concept of research for applicants, then it makes no sense to admit anyone who professes a strong adherence in something that cannot be proven? Seem illogical to me.
2) From my personal experience, the earth seems flat, in a social, communication, economic and physical sense. Certainly I have more evidence supporting the notion of a flat earth than I do of God. Evidence of all sorts of things change over history and I am sure this idea that the world is flat, like bodily humors, witches, blood letting, etc will be dis-proven soon enough.

My point here is, the concept that someone should or would be immediately rejected from medical school because of a belief, whether flat-earth, evolution, or that revolving doors are evil, loses the idea of evaluating each candidate on their merits of their application and does show tolerance or diversity.
I understand what you're saying, but beliefs do reveal a lot about a person's personality. Ignoring the actual content of religion (as so many seem to do these days), we're left with a widely accepted social construct. The important thing here is that religion is so widely believed, that it's natural to expect it from anyone you meet. In contrast, flat-earthers in something equally ridiculous, but without the social protection that normalcy affords. It takes a very particular kind of person to casually risk ostracization for something with no evidence. I don't think medicine needs someone with that kind of character.

I find it funny how hard you're arguing here since The Little Prince would have to be entirely rewritten if we didn't accept that planets are round.
Aye, you mistook my motive. I would not give two rats about defending the flat-earthers. I am here to offend those clowns + this one.

Found the flat-earther
In retrospect, maybe this person is not clownish but blind.

And the only part in The Little Prince I liked was on the fox and the wheat field. I found the rest blase'.

Funny that not a single "scientist" in this thread was able to address this video

From 3:00 onward are the proofs that the Earth is neither round nor flat but CONCAVE!

Aye, you mistook my motive. I would not give two rats about defending the flat-earthers. I am here to offend those clowns + this one.

In retrospect, maybe this person is not clownish but blind.

And the only part in The Little Prince I liked was on the fox and the wheat field. I found the rest blase'.

Funny that not a single "scientist" in this thread was able to address this video

From 3:00 onward are the proofs that the Earth is neither round nor flat but CONCAVE!

I don't think anyone wanted to use 4 minutes and 27 seconds of their life on that video.

Reactions: 2 users

It probably has something to do with the lens. The Go pro video has a fish-eye lens, which immediately makes it a bad reference for the shape of objects. Still, if you want proof that the earth is not flat (which you don't because you're trolling), you should just refer to the math.... which I'm too tired to find, so I'll do it later (if at all).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone wanted to use 4 minutes and 27 seconds of their life on that video.
But they have time to chime in here and bash the non-believers and watch the GoPro clip made with a flawed lens.
^_^
Common, be honest! You may learn something new. Is this not what medical schools looking for? Don't be scared. It's easy to debunk, if, of course, you know your stuffs.

It probably has something to do with the lens. The Go pro video has a fish-eye lens, which immediately makes it a bad reference for the shape of objects. Still, if you want proof that the earth is flat (which you don't because you're trolling), you should just refer to the math.... which I'm too tired to find, so I'll do it later (if at all).

? No, the Earth is concave!!!! Anyway, assume that you know what you are talking about, why do you feel the need to rescue those clowns?

This is like the question "Could God create an object so heavy he couldn't move it?"

It would never happen. If they were that good, they couldn't be that stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app

okay diversity isnt being sacrificed because you reject someone who thinks the earth is flat.

"The earth is flat" is a falsifiable claim. It has been falsified. It is not a valid thing to claim that is true.

Religious - or, specifically, theological - claims are not falsifiable, they are based on presuppositions that are accepted if you possess faith; i.e. that truth can be revealed, has been revealed, and is some particular set of truths specific to that theology (like the Nicene creed for Catholics). Sure, Proverbs is largely based on an ancient Egyptian book of practical wisdom (sometimes word for word), but that doesn't mean that Proverbs is "False". Similarly, many of the claims people think "disprove" religion don't disprove anything. This or that fact is largely irrelevant to the majority of the faithful whose beliefs are founded on a "truth" separate from the outer world. It is only the complete fundamentalist who thinks they are one and the same and to that I say only a Sith deals in absolutes...

There are a large number of unacceptable beliefs that are unacceptable in spite of not being expressly or immediately falsifiable. "The only way to have a functioning society is to have a racially homogenous society" is an unacceptable belief. I cannot provide evidence that would completely falsify the claims contained within it, but I can dismiss it because the immediate consequences of the belief are unambiguously wrong. As in, morally.

Just like we don't pretend to add anything of value to a discussion on fixing the tax code by letting people pontificate about rounding up and executing the poor, we don't need flat earthers or white supremacists to support intellectual and individual diversity. (To be clear, I don't think flat earthers and white supremacists are intellectually or morally equivalent).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
okay diversity isnt being sacrificed because you reject someone who thinks the earth is flat.

"The earth is flat" is a falsifiable claim. It has been falsified. It is not a valid thing to claim that is true.

Religious - or, specifically, theological - claims are not falsifiable, they are based on presuppositions that are accepted if you possess faith; i.e. that truth can be revealed, has been revealed, and is some particular set of truths specific to that theology (like the Nicene crede for Catholics). Sure, Proverbs is largely based on an ancient Egyptian book of practical wisdom (sometimes word for word), but that doesn't mean that Proverbs is "False". Similarly, many of the claims people think "disprove" religion don't disprove anything. This or that fact is largely irrelevant to the majority of the faithful whose beliefs are founded on a "truth" separate from the outer world. It is only the complete fundamentalist who thinks they are one and the same and to that I say only a Sith deals in absolutes...

There are a large number of unacceptable beliefs that are unacceptable in spite of not being expressly or immediately falsifiable. "The only way to have a functioning society is to have a racially homogenous society" is an unacceptable belief. I cannot provide evidence that would completely falsify the claims contained within it, but I can dismiss it because the immediate consequences of the belief are wrong. As in, morally.

Just like we don't pretend to add anything of value to a discussion on fixing the tax code by letting people pontificate about rounding up and executing the poor, we don't need flat earthers or white supremacists to support intellectual and individual diversity.
/thread

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 2 users
But mooooooooom....
tumblr_lwmjx1AghH1qdswx4o2_400.gif

Reactions: 1 users