Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

would you attend one of those 1 yr MS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Bevo, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    at some of the medical schools like at LECOM, or Finch, etc. if you couldn't get in this year?

2. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Those a definate back-up plans if it does not work out this year.

3. DocGeorge7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm currently in LECOM's post-bacc program. If you do not get accepted this year, a post-bacc program is something to seriously consider to help increase lyour chances of being accepted into medical school. I'm not saying that you can't get accepted next year if you don't do a post-bacc, but instead of just wasting a year doing nothing you can do a program that will help you increase your stats and show your ability to do med school level work.

Programs do vary from school to school and you will need to pick a program that you think is right for you (if you want to do a 2yr. master or a one year certificate course). LECOM's is a one year certificate program and we are NOT guaranteed admission to the DO program, but we are assured of an interview if we complete one semester successfully.

I think PCOM and NOVA also have post-bacc programs so you might want to check those out as well.

4. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    do you know the application works ? Im applying to both LECOM and PCOM and not sure what kind of message it would send if I was applying to both.

5. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

im sort of confused on this idea too. I mean i understand that the post-bac will show some initiative...but as far as stats go...nothign will be improved until at least december...so does that mean that they will slow down your apps in order to see how you are progressing?

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

My thoughts on a post-bac degree is that a med school applicant should only pursue one if they have a low undergrad GPA and needs to show a little more scholastic dedication. Number one, post-bac programs are almost as expensive as med school, so you will pay th equivalent of 5 years of med school! Number two, many people (admissions committee members) have told me that it really won't make up for a sub par MCAT, etc. and that working for a year in a medically related job is just as, if not more impressive than a post-bac program. My advice is to only do a post bac program if you grades are keeping you out of med school. If it's the MCAT, retake it and do something cool for a year and save some money instead of blowing 20-30K on a degree that in the end won't matter or won't improve your chances of acceptance.

The sad fact is that these post-bac programs charge soooo much but in no way, shape, or form are you guarunteed an acceptance to med school!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

7. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my grades are problamatic when you include my undergraduate studies. Ive done post-bacc works which has raised it to a 2.69 overall(the reason chicago didn't send me a secondary). My postbacc is a 3.11 science and a 3.15 overall.

This is my biggest concern. Im taking my last semester of classes now and expected to get over the 2.75 min requirement, but Im still left with a low gpa. Which is why I was wondering about these programs.

My MCAT is low too now, but I am retaking it in April and devoting most of my spring to it(no classes).

8. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some postbaccs include classes to help prepare students to retake the MCAT. Also, look for a postbacc at a public institution in your state. The tuition shouldn't be nearly as much. As far as I understand, the programs don't differ much between the DO and MD schools. I know UCDavis has a postbacc that is geared towards economically disadvantaged students with lower undergrad GPAs and low MCAT scores.

9. dim sum

dim sum Member
    7+ Year Member

it definitely helps, i was specifically asked about my MS work during the interview and almost 3/4 of my graduating class (master program) get into med school that year (mostly DO and some MD).

- good luck

10. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was hoping a state school would have such a program but they do not. nearest thing I can find are summer programs are oriented towards preparing students for the mcat but also give other opportunities, like shadowing a doctor or PA in a hospital, give advising, mock interviews, etc.

if someone knows of a program in Texas, I would be all ears. I only know of the 3 DO programs and the med school ones at FINCH, MCP, BU, GW, etc.

11. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did one year in the post-bacc program at MCP Hahnemann (now Drexel Univ.) last year. It definitely helped me out in gaining admission this year. If I hadn't gotten in this year, I would have finished the second year as well; MCP has a pretty good track record, for students who do only one year as well as those who complete the entire program. There is also another post-bacc. program at MCP which is designed specifically for people who need preparation in basic sciences and for MCAT.
    The issue about expenses is a real one - the formal post-bacc. programs are quite expensive. I suppose one really has to assess one's realistic chances of benefitting from the program. If you think that you'll do well enough and want to get into med school bad enough, give it a shot.

Good Luck!

12. aquaboy

7+ Year Member

I think there is a misconception about post bac programs. Just because you are in one doesn't mean you are guaranteed an acceptance to medical school the following year. When some post bac programs advertise that 80% of their students get into med school, they don't mean the following year, they mean eventually. That could be a couple of years down the road. Hey if you think it will benefit you in a certain way then do it. Don't do it just to fill a year. You could take the money you fork out on a post bac program and visit Europe or something cool. Only do it if you need it. If it's MCAT, health care experience or anything else besides GPA or a science background that is keeping you out DON'T DO IT!!!!! SAVE YOUR $$$$$$$$$!

13. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my biggest reservation about doing this is what if it doesn't help me. I just spend XX amount on a certificate and not on a real masters degree.

I feel right now that my MCAT is more of an issue with my applications rather than my grades.

14. mfred

mfred Member
    7+ Year Member

Imbebo,

There is a program in Texas, at TCOM in Ft Worth. It is a one year post-bacc cert program, and you get an interview as part of being in the program. If you pull a 3.5 you are considered for a seat in the med school class. In years past, all but one of the people who got a 3.5 got in. Go to the web site and check it out, its a pretty decent program if you are rejected from MS the first time. www.hsc.unt.edu for more info.

15. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow, I was told there were not any in Texas. Glad to know there is one.

Shot in the dark, did you know if San Antonio has one?

16. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Aquaboy, I did not imply in any way that a post-bacc. program guarantees admission to medical school. However, I believe it is a better option than staying out of school for a year for many applicants who are unable to gain admission; this is especially true for those who have low MCATs, low GPAs, and/or don't think they are adequately prepared for the sciences.

with regards

17. aquaboy

7+ Year Member

I agree that if an applicant's grades are low or if they are unprepared for the sciences that a post-bac may be a great option. If it's the MCAT then they should take a review course and pay $1500 instead of 20-30K. I thought about doing a post bac this year since I graduated in April. After a bit of self-analysis I realized that mt MCAT score is what kept me out last year. Therefore, a post bac program wasn't for me. I have an excellent job doing clinical research and retoook the MCAT in Aug and did much better. For all of those who are thinking about a post-bac program just make sure it's right for you and don't do it just to fill a year!!!!!!!

18. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated from Rutgers University with a 3.36 cum, but a 2.5 science GPA! I simply could not afford to go to a Masters in Biomedical Sciences program, so I enrolled in the Rutgers Univ. postbaac program and took all my courses with undergrads. I made sure I took Biochem, Physiology, Cell Bio, and Genetics.
    I pulled my premed GPA to a 3.16. I also am finishing up an MPH degree as well. I did the MPH so I could have some type of useful degree after graduation incase I dont get into DO schools this year. I dont know what I would do with a Masters in Biomed Sc. I took the MCATs 2x - 23Q to a 25P. I have been offered interviews at the following schools :
    AZCOM (waitlist)
    TUCOM (waiting to hear decision)
    LECOM (interviewed on 11/11)
    PCOM (11/20, cant wait)
    KCOM (12/13)
    UHS (turned down interview)
    I hope this offers some hope to people.

19. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IMBEBO:

I wouldnt worry about what CCOM did to you. I had my file complete there by mid-July and they sent me a rejection without even waiting for my second set of MCAT scores!!! How utterly
    ludicrous is that!!!!!

NJDESI

20. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i wrote a letter to them already. I figure Ive got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

21. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, how did the interview at LECOM go?

Russell

22. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi njdesi!

I wish you the best of success with your interviews!

INE

23. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all!! I am a med student at TCOM in Ft. Worth, Texas. We do have a post bacc program and I can tell you that it is great. I think they all got in to our class this year, and they definitely are our class leaders in many areas. One guy helps us to know how to do well on exams because he has literally taken nearly the same courses from the same professors the year before. These guys have it much easier during the first year I can promise you. And overall, our health science center is really growing and was ranked by USNews as a top school in primary care. We beat every school in Texas except for Baylor.

24. bucky

bucky Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey! I can't find any info at TCOM's website about the one year post bac program...can you help?

25. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  26. Eric714

Eric714 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I almost went into the post-bacc prog at Hahnemann after being wait-listed at Western U. But I decided against it because I just thought it was a very expensive gamble since it was 2 years (for the MPH) and was like $20K I think. I thought of it as a gamble b/c you weren't guaranteed admission into med school; so I just took extra classes in courses that I didn't do well in, reapplied, and got in the next year.

I have a lot of classmates that have taken the post-bacc program. I think it depends how dire a situation you're in, if there is a long shot to get in... go for it. Also, if you have the money & means... go for it. If you were really close, i would just retake some classes and reapply.

Eric, MSIII
    WesternU/COMP

27. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

My thoughts on the post-bacc:

The biggest issue, I think, is how you want to spend a year, and how financially stable you are. If mom and dad can fork over the 40k for you for tuition and living expenses, by all means, do it. But graduating medical school with over 250k is nauseating to me.

I would rather find a medically related job SOMEWHERE doing SOMETHING and get a killer representative to go to bat for you (i.e. callling the adcom). That way, you'll have a better shot at applying than you ddi before, you'll make a little cash, be able to enjoy life for atleast a year... and save yourself 25-40k.

Before I got accepted at NSUCOM, I really looked into the Master's program at Georgetown. I think you actually graduated with a master's in physiology... not some crappy certificate that means jack snot...

28. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I wonder about this. I job shadowed two docs, and when I asked them if they'd be willing to write me a recommendation for med school, they said that they be more than happy and would even "make some phone calls". Later when I went to get a letter from one of the docs, he wrote an excellent one, and said, "I can even make some phone calls on your behalf if you'd like". But is this even appropriate? I don't think these docs know specific ppl on the adcoms...they just want to help me out in whatever way they can. Has anyone had people you worked with make calls to adcoms batting for you?

29. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Yumpin' Yiminy...

I know several classmates of mine off the top of my head... (4 people) who had an doc here in the area call the adcom, and they were all (obviously) accepted and are 4th years now with me...

Its not what you know (MCAT/GPA), but who you know in many of the cases.