Would You Belive Them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRIMER

God's Soldier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I just had a meeting with the dean of admissions at a medical school, not even an hour ago. The meeting lasted one hour. They schedule the meetings in the admissions office for every half hour. The secretary had to call the guy that I was speaking to and remind him that there were people waiting. When I walked out there were two people waiting. While we were talking he told me that he could gurantee that I would get an interview. He said that they only send secondaries to people that they plan on interviewing, and he said I would definitely get one, and said "Your stats and profile (extracurriculars, work experience etc.) would earn you an interview, and I encourage your application. Would you guys believe it?

Members don't see this ad.

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

I just had a meeting with the dean of admissions at a medical school, not even an hour ago. The meeting lasted one hour. They schedule the meetings in the admissions office for every half hour. The secretary had to call the guy that I was speaking to and remind him that there were people waiting. When I walked out there were two people waiting. While we were talking he told me that he could gurantee that I would get an interview. He said that they only send secondaries to people that they plan on interviewing, and he said I would definitely get one, and said "Your stats and profile (extracurriculars, work experience etc.) would earn you an interview, and I encourage your application. Would you guys believe it?
What makes you doubt it?

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

So what was the problem last time? And which school is this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school? LOL...jp...you don't have to tell...but hey, that sounds great

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

Did he specifically say "I guarantee you an interview"? Otherwise, who's to say he didn't say the same thing to the other people waiting? This sounds a bit sketchy.

I feel dubious every time I hear anyone use the word "guarantee".

notdeadyet said:
I feel dubious every time I hear anyone use the word "guarantee".

Yeah, but there's a big difference between "encouraging an application" and "guaranteeing"...unless I read the OP's post incorrectly.

I guess I just thought it was a little weird with him telling me I would get an interview. I did not know they did that. If you really want to know the school it was Wayne State University SOM.

Now I would have thought it was really weird if he guaranteed admission. I would not have believed that unless I were a Harvard Grad with a 4.0 gpa a 40 MCAT and have saved someones life in my sparetime :)

PRIMER said:
I guess I just thought it was a little weird with him telling me I would get an interview. I did not know they did that. If you really want to know the school it was Wayne State University SOM.
I doubt he would have done that to trick you into paying their secondary fee. Mass mailing does the same thing is with less effort than a sit down meeting.

I'd take it as a good sign, but don't go withdrawing all your other apps just yet.

its not like he said that he could guarantee an acceptance. I wonder what percentage of applicants don't even get a single interview?

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

Do you have a reason to doubt him. Sound legit to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:
It sounds good. But nothing is ever set in stone until you have it...

Ditto...even though you've been "guaranteed" and interview/spot, dont let it get your hopes up. Until you sit down in your seat on the firt day of class, then you can gloat

Otherwise, dont believe a word he said to you

i had a similar experience. i wasn't guarranteed an interview, but the admissions coordinator kept saying how i would have a good chance at getting into the school, how awesome my grades and expriences were, that i should call her anytime, blah, blah, blah. she did indeed make me feel good about myself, but i later found out that that's what she told everyone else that she met with (there were 24 of us, and we all knew each other so we "compared notes" afterwards.) I guess they just all want us to apply.

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

To believe them, we first have to believe you (or at least believe that you heard it right). Too many leaps of faith required here. This is why hearsay evidence is not allowed in court. :laugh:

gapotts2003 said:
If this is your second application year why weren't you accepted to wayne last time?

I don't understand, I never said that I applied to wayne before. This is my first time applying anywhere. What makes you think this is my second time?

Law2Doc said:
To believe them, we first have to believe you (or at least believe that you heard it right). Too many leaps of faith required here. This is why hearsay evidence is not allowed in court. :laugh:

Trust me, I have no reason to lie. I know a lot of people get on here an lie, but thats just not me. They guy said what I said he said, and then some, I was simply asking you guys if you would believe him, thats it. Sorry, if you take anything else from it.

PRIMER said:
I don't understand, I never said that I applied to wayne before. This is my first time applying anywhere. What makes you think this is my second time?

He probably thought that because you can schedule a meeting to go over your application if you were rejected.

Wayne State for all!!! Isn't there class size outrageously large? I hope that improves my chances!

ChymeChancellor said:
He probably thought that because you can schedule a meeting to go over your application if you were rejected.

I meet with him because he is THE DEAN OF ADMISSIONS. He sees every application that comes through. I saw stacks of them sitting on his desk when I was in there. I just wanted him to be able to put a name and a file to a face and a personality, when he sees my app, thats it. I encourage others to do the same.

PRIMER said:
I meet with him because he is THE DEAN OF ADMISSIONS. He sees every application that comes through. I saw stacks of them sitting on his desk when I was in there. I just wanted him to be able to put a name and a file to a face and a personality, when he sees my app, thats it. I encourage others to do the same.

Dude... I knew that. I was just trying to say why he might have thought you were a reaplicant. What enlightening things did he have to say other than that he is encouraging you to apply? What is on your application is already done.

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

It's most likely that he is telling the truth and you will be interviewed, but people have been mislead before. I say this because there are times when different people make decisions (in this case, it is unlikely since he is the dean), or adcom members simply change their mind. Also, the wording "encourage your application" is a bit fallible.

There's absolutely nothing bad that can happen as a result. You should celebrate really. With that said, at most, he only guaranteed you an interview, which is still a long way from an acceptance, so stay sharp.
-Dr. P.

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

Not until I was actually interviewed. If you read enough threads on this forum you'll find lots of empty promises from admissions people to applicants.

PRIMER said:

I was thinking you were meeting with him because you were waitlisted/rejected after the application season was finished.

So how did you schedule a meeting with the dean to get him to look at your info?

gapotts2003 said:
I was thinking you were meeting with him because you were waitlisted/rejected after the application season was finished.

So how did you schedule a meeting with the dean to get him to look at your info?

Perhaps he wasn't really the dean and was lying from the get go.

You know, I really hope that I didn't come across as bragging or gloating. I was a little excited, so I came to you guys to ask what you think. Thanks to everyone that gave a response though, and good luck to everyone. :)

PRIMER said:
You know, I really hope that I didn't come across as bragging or gloating. I was a little excited, so I came to you guys to ask what you think. Thanks to everyone that gave a response though, and good luck to everyone. :)

We're just messing with you. (or at least I was). Report back if/when you actually get an interview, and tell us how it goes.

gapotts2003 said:

First I meet with the Dean of Students, and she introduced me to the Dean of Admissions.

If he could "guarantee you an interview," then why didn't you request an interveiw invitation that moment?

If the man's got stacks of applications on his desk, and thousands more on the way, why would he connect your meeting with your application?

Anxious pre meds are gullible, and I speak from experience. I've had many deans encourage me to apply, saying 'we'd be interested in meeting you' and 'you'd fit in here,' so I'd leave the meeting feeling elated, only to get rejected one way or another. At this stage, words are cheap. Still apply broadly.

RxnMan said:
If he could "guarantee you an interview," then why didn't you request an interveiw invitation that moment?

If the man's got stacks of applications on his desk, and thousands more on the way, why would he connect your meeting with your application?

Anxious pre meds are gullible, and I speak from experience. I've had many deans encourage me to apply, saying 'we'd be interested in meeting you' and 'you'd fit in here,' so I'd leave the meeting feeling elated, only to get rejected one way or another. At this stage, words are cheap. Still apply broadly.

You guys are rough :) But thats cool though. Anyway, I have yet to submit my primary. I just finished my last pre-requisite yesterday, so I wanted to wait for that grade.

ChymeChancellor said:
Wayne State for all!!! Isn't there class size outrageously large? I hope that improves my chances!

They claim to be the largest single campus med school in the nation. Yet they aren't the cheapest school in Mich (http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PUB&year_of_study=2006).
Rumor has it that the first year class size is on its way up to 300 students (more than will fit in the current lecture hall)

To the OP, it's not like WSU is that expensive to apply to - so send them your application.
Also, I don't have the stats in front of me, but as memory serves the majority of people interviewed are accepted - but that since they interview so many people that still leaves lots of folks without acceptance letters.

If you have correctly quoted Dean N. then I would not see any reason to think that he was lying to you. But remember that scoring an interview is only the first of many steps on the way to getting the acceptance letter.

oldjeeps said:
They claim to be the largest single campus med school in the nation. Yet they aren't the cheapest school in Mich (http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PUB&year_of_study=2006).
Rumor has it that the first year class size is on its way up to 300 students (more than will fit in the current lecture hall)

To the OP, it's not like WSU is that expensive to apply to - so send them your application.
Also, I don't have the stats in front of me, but as memory serves the majority of people interviewed are accepted - but that since they interview so many people that still leaves lots of folks without acceptance letters.

If you have correctly quoted Dean N. then I would not see any reason to think that he was lying to you. But remember that scoring an interview is only the first of many steps on the way to getting the acceptance letter.

You are absolutely right, I'll go one step further and say it was Dean S.N. If you go to wayne state you know who I am talking about. And if you read my earlier post you saw that I spoke to Dean K.B. I am not saying "Oh, I am going to get an interview, I am in." But what I am saying is that I am excited, I appreciate the time he took in speaking with me, and I can't wait to become a physician. I am excited about the whole process. From volunteering, to research to finishing the prerequisites, everything is an accomplishment, and everything deserves to be taken notice of.

PRIMER said:
Hey guys

He said that they only send secondaries to people that they plan on interviewing

Does anyone know if this is true? I doubt it (unfortunately) because almost 3/4s of everyone they interview gets accepted (about 400 out of 570 in-state, according to US News) which would mean a very high % of everyone who gets a secondary also gets accepted. I find that hard to believe. :(

mjos22 said:
Does anyone know if this is true? I doubt it (unfortunately) because almost 3/4s of everyone they interview gets accepted (about 400 out of 570 in-state, according to US News) which would mean a very high % of everyone who gets a secondary also gets accepted. I find that hard to believe. :(

If that were really true, they would save the postage and printing costs and just have folks bring a check to the interview. Secondaries are a huge money maker, and so it's hard to imagine a school will limit the amount of revenue they can bring in by not letting almost everyone with a pulse send them a check with a secondary.

Law2Doc said:
If that were really true, they would save the postage and printing costs and just have folks bring a check to the interview. Secondaries are a huge money maker, and so it's hard to imagine a school will limit the amount of revenue they can bring in by not letting almost everyone with a pulse send them a check with a secondary.

To quote him, he said "About 99% of the people that receive secondaries are interviewed." He also said "we do not waste time and people's money at wayne" I am just going off of what he told me. I hope that helps

PRIMER said:
To quote him, he said "About 99% of the people that receive secondaries are interviewed." He also said "we do not waste time and people's money at wayne" I am just going off of what he told me. I hope that helps

I hope you are right. I really, really do.

PRIMER said:
He also said "we do not waste time and people's money at wayne"

He may have said it, but it's bad business. He is going to waste someone's money by not tapping into that revenue stream (that almost all other schools are generating). If not the applicants, it will apparently be the matriculants -- who likely make up the difference with less intrastructure/amenities.

Law2Doc said:

yea, I never got that either, it's kind of refreshing. UNC for one ONLY sends sencondaries to those it will interview, and I guess Wayne State is pretty selective too. On the opposite end, MSU asks for money before it reviews your primary.

Law2Doc said:
He may have said it, but it's bad business. He is going to waste someone's money by not tapping into that revenue stream (that almost all other schools are generating). If not the applicants, it will apparently be the matriculants -- who likely make up the difference with less intrastructure/amenities.

But when you have rich doctor alumni giving tens of millions back to the school, what is an extra hundred thou going to do really?

Entering Class of 2005 Information
In-State Out-of-State Total
Number of Applicants: 1,053 1,728 3,014
Applicants Interviewed: 522 190 712
Number of Matriculants*: 226 33 260
*All took the MCAT and had baccalaureate degrees.

Average GPA: 3.51
Average MCAT: 9.80

This was all I could come up with, just from the website.
The columns are instate, out of state, total.

712 interviews out of 3000 primaries is a little low, but like I said, I am just repeating what he told me.

Ironhead2000 said:
yea, I never got that either, it's kind of refreshing. UNC for one ONLY sends sencondaries to those it will interview, and I guess Wayne State is pretty selective too. On the opposite end, MSU asks for money before it reviews your primary.

Yes they do take the 60 dollars to screen you. But they don't charge for a secondary.

Moral of the story: Don't apply there if you have no desire to go there or you are OOS.

gapotts2003 said:
Yes they do take the 60 dollars to screen you. But they don't charge for a secondary.

Moral of the story: Don't apply there if you have no desire to go there or you are OOS.

I was just making a comparison of the selection process these schools go through before asking for money and the fact that MSU asks for money right off the bat. It's basically paying the secondary upfront. No complaints here, in stater btw.

Ironhead2000 said:
But when you have rich doctor alumni giving tens of millions back to the school, what is an extra hundred thou going to do really?

Every penny helps. Many schools have significantly more wealthy alumni donating and still charge for the secondary. You'd be surprised what an extra half a mill coming in each year can pay for.

Law2Doc said:
Every penny helps. Many schools have significantly more wealthy alumni donating and still charge for the secondary. You'd be surprised what an extra half a mill coming in each year can pay for.

That may be true, it's nothing to sneeze at, but I'm just saying I don't think the WSUSOM matriculants are suffering because the school does not send out some 2,000 extra secondaries at $50 a pop. If you consider the manhours spent having to read the applications for students that as far as their concerned aren't qualified to be in the school already, than it doesn't seem as bad. I just feel like it's not noticable to a student with the kind money that's being thrown around these days.

ADeadLois said:
Yeah, but there's a big difference between "encouraging an application" and "guaranteeing"...unless I read the OP's post incorrectly.
I thought I read "he told me that he could gurantee that I would get an interview".

Regardless, OP, it sounds promising. Even if he's just blowing smoke, it's a nice color he's blowing...