1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you break up with your gf if she was XY?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by darkraven, Dec 20, 2008.

?

Would you break up with your gf if she was a HE

1. no, it wouldn't affect our relationship

44 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. I would have to think about it ...

41 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. yes, it would be difficult for me to deal with

77 vote(s)
    47.5%
  1. darkraven

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    So we're in endocrine block and learning about Androgen Insensitivity. Someone in our group eventually asked would you break up with your gf if you found out that she was actually XY but had AIS?

Lets assume it is complete so she looks completely female from physical appearance and has been raised female.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zenlike

zenlike I'll see you in health.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd like to be able to have biological children. But, otherwise, I'm not sure that it would bother me too much.

4. SpookyDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A girl with no body hair who never menstruates? Count me in :thumbup:

Seriously, though, they would be psychologically and physically female, and that's enough for me. If I loved her, I'd still love her. I judge based on phenotype, not genotype :)

It WOULD be sad not to be able to have biological kids, but that happens to many couples anyway.

5. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nah, not having biological kids isn't a breakup factor. And her genotype really doesn't matter to me at all if she's phenotypically female.

6. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone remember that House episode where that sexually agressive girl turned out to be a guy? No more "I have a headache" excuses, lol

7. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    AIS is more typically girl than CAH(Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia).

I would definitely pick AIS over any other endocrine problem... She'd also be your best friend!

The kids thing would suck though...

8. cpants

cpants Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Taller, larger breasts, great skin, no menstruation, no risk of pregnancy...sounds like a great girlfriend. Adopt kids. There are too many of them anyway.

9. SpookyDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm surprised we got so few responses here, as its such a strange subject to think about.

10. grandslam521

grandslam521 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is the funniest SDN thread I've ever seen. Only something you would encounter on a social forum for medical students.

11. Habeed

Habeed Membership Revoked
    Removed

I wonder how their sex drive is...

These 'women' produce very high levels of testosterone from their undescended testicles. So much so that their testicles have to be removed.

Since testosterone controls sex drive in women, perhaps it would be higher.

Then again, sex drive may depend on androgen receptors.

Certainly the mental image of a hot, hard body, tall nymphomaniac who cannot get pregnant doesn't seem like it would be all bad...

#10 Habeed, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  12. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Imma say probably not, but I guess I couldnt really tell ya until I was faced with the situation.

13. BoneTwister

Removed

definetly I would dump her and maybe kick her for lying to me.

Ps. if you are okay with it you are probably GAY.

14. FutureInternist

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is she hot ??? 'Cos that is ALL that matters :)

15. Bartelby

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I were madly in love, probably not. If it wasn't at that stage, probably. I would like to have some biological kids of my own one day.

16. HPSPpayissues

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hmm... I don't see how dating her (or HIM) is any different than dating a transexual or ladyboy. If that floats your boat, by all means go ahead!

17. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Angy Old Man
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wonder if this comes up in every med school every year. I know we had this discussion several times.

As an evolutionary biologist, my answer is yes, I would break up with her. No biological kids = blech.

In fact, if 'she' knew beforehand, I'd be pretty freaking upset.

18. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Because for almost all intents and purposes, she's a woman. She has been raised as a female, and never knew anything different until probably around 16 when she figured out why she never had a period. The only "biological" aspect of her being a "man" are the lack of a uterus and testicles, which basically functioned as normal ovaries because her body couldn't sense it's on testosterone and used it as estrogen.

A transexual, pre or post op, is regardless of what you think about gender identity cognitively, physically and biologically the opposite gender than what they feel believe themselves to be. A M=>F transexual, DID have fully functioning testicles that did masculinize their body and even with hormone therapies and surgery, that can't be reversed completely. In addition, this individual was RAISED as a male and that confusion can and often does produce a lot of psychic trauma on a person which (call me shallow) I'd really prefer to avoid.

Now, a chick with CAH is the real headscratcher and I'm honestly not sure how I'd react.

19. janneyc

janneyc Decerebrate
    5+ Year Member

#18 janneyc, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  20. coldweatherblue

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    being a sort-of a dude is a deal-breaker.

21. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

I can't actually believe that people are comparing this to a transexual/transgender. Transexuals/transgenders have a psychiatric issue of not being able to accept their clear (normal) biological gender and trying to change it by behavior modification, cross-dressing, hormone therapy, and surgery.

This clearly has NOTHING to do with a gene mutation that has caused an XY individual to develop, from conception and without any input of their own, into a phenotypic female.

Two hundred years ago, nobody would even know these women were actually XY. They'd just be amenstrual and barren.

As for me personally, if I was dating when I found out, I would break up because I want to have biological children. If I was married, I would accept it and adopt other children.

And the person that suggested that people who would tolerate a marriage to a phenotypic female XY are gay - he needs to get his meathead out of orthopedic surgery and think a minute about the stupid thing he's about to say before he says it.

22. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

Hmm, with a transexual it's voluntary and there are residual male phenotypic traits.

With an androgen insensitive, there are testes (usually removed when discovered), but phenotypically there are no other male traits. Phenotypically, this person resembles a woman outwardly, but internally lacks a uterus and ovaries, so she cannot reproduce. Also, there's the small detail of it being completely involuntary.

23. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well from my avatar and sig, you know what I would do...:D

24. umean2tellme

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    I might stay together, but I would feel slightly less guilty about banging a few chicks on the side along the way.

25. BoneTwister

Removed

Uhh what I said is true. If the person is a man (XY) and you are in a realtionship with this MAN (XY) and you are a man then you are gay!!

Or those okay with it could be Women. But you are definetly one or te other:sleep:

26. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yes, just in case that Y decides to spring up later.

27. Jacobian78

2+ Year Member

Sooo...when I first read this I thought the condition was that the person looked for all intents and purposes female, but had external male genitalia. Imagine my horror at the responses :eek:

28. Crazyday

Crazyday Junior in HS
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They are not a man. They act like a woman, look like a woman, and think like a woman. The only difference between them and other women is that they cannot have biological children. Unless of course you want to look further than that and make a bigger deal out of it.

Myself, it would depend on how well I knew and liked them. If it was a committed relationship and I could see myself marrying them, I wouldn't break up over it. It is something we could work past, and I wouldn't let something like that get in the way of my love for someone.

29. darkraven

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    for all you know, you might have already had sex with someone with AIS and never even knew it.

Does that mean you're gay too?

30. BoneTwister

Removed

They are man! XY= man

you like Xy= you are a gay.(by definition) Its okay becasuse the law passed and you gays can get married now. So no worries!
    Good luck!:sleep:

31. Josey

Josey Doctor Hopeful
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#30 Josey, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  32. TRN1983

TRN1983 MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The male/female designation isn't so clear cut in this case. All humans start out as female, and AIS individuals have XY and testes, but they never never leave the female stage because they are AIS. So, they're phenotypically female.

Heterosexual males are attracted to the female "phenotype", not the XY pair. So, there is nothing gay about it. Gay men like phenotypic men, with penises.

33. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think you can say it's categorically voluntary. Some people may fetishize crossdressing (transvestitism, not transsexuality), and that may be voluntary, but there are people out there who have felt at their core since childhood that they were born with the wrong parts. There have even been studies done with barbiturates, "truth sera", and most recently fMRI that have looked at the nature of such conditions. Furthermore, there are plenty of transsexuals that wish and pray every day that they weren't, and so much research has shown that psychological 'reprogramming' etc. does not work. Just because we don't have some sort of assay for it (which I guess in the future may involve looking at certain parts of the brain in much much more detail than we are able to presently, who knows), doesn't mean it's "voluntary". There are no assays or objective measures for depression and other psychiatric issues, but it doesn't mean it's not there or that it's a choice- from a black box perspective, we can say there's likely some sort of neurochemical imbalance, as antidepressants and antipsychotics are extremely therapeutic for some people. I'm somewhat mixing issues -- existence + choice -- but you get my point on both issues.

34. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the amount of responses we are getting makes me want to open a match making site just for AIS and their lovers

35. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    im really shocked by how many of you are not ok with it.. XY females tend to be hotter, with better breasts and skin and no fear of pregnancy! hell i wouldnt mind being XY for those perks.. screw children, ill adopt..
    but sadly im XX and pregnancy is a concern...

36. Crazyday

Crazyday Junior in HS
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think you're just trolling at this point, but really, grow up.

37. assila

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think that it doesnt a matter if she looks a female physecally
    it will cause problemes only in case if he wants to have a children ^^

38. swpm

swpm Now with extra snarkiness
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    XYs with AIS have no uterus but also no upper vagina. Most will ultimately require surgery to permit normal intercourse, assuming dilation fails. The clitoris is usually abnormal, also. Most often larger but functionally normal, but I took care of a 10 or 11 yo girl getting her orchiectomy a couple weeks ago and she had no clitoral tissue.

39. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    at all? so no orgasm for her?

40. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or she could hook up with a really nice guy with a very small penis. This would be a win/win as she gets a nice sensitive guy who isn't freaked out about her genetics and he gets revenge on all the guys who picked on him in the locker room by having the hottest wife at his high school reunion.. :)

41. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

If it's good enough for the shah of Iran, it's good enough for me.

It turns out the perfect woman is a man.

42. swpm

swpm Now with extra snarkiness
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, everyone knows that the female orgasm is a myth. :)

No clitoral tissue was what her chart said. I didn't examine her. In fact, she had no idea she was XY and getting her undescended testicles removed. Mom told her she was getting a hernia repair and we played along.

Or maybe she'll be into other chicks. Win/win for them both.

Maybe even win/win/win if there's video and a web site for us to satisfy our prur^H^H^H^Hscientific curiosity.

43. HolyGrail

HolyGrail A magnum opus suscipio
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Would I be gay if I liked a girl who was X0(Turner's Syndrome)?

I tend to think of these girls as more like Turner's Syndrome without the associated problems... And instead with Mullerian Inhibiting Factor etc... But for the most part, I tend to think of it as a faulty Y chromosome(Or receptor for Testosterone, but I consider them equating to the same thing), instead of a real Y chromosome, since it's essentially worthless information without a receptor...

44. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Have you ever seen an AIS chick? They tend to have hyperexagerated feminine traits: shapely breasts, no body hair, very hot.

Turners, not so hot.

45. HolyGrail

HolyGrail A magnum opus suscipio
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL,

This is what I was saying, I meant that in theory I view it as X0, not as in I think they look anything alike... What I'm trying to say is that the "Maleness" associated with the Y chromosome, as information, is not really used due to the dysfunctional receptor.

hahah, no, I don't think Turners looks anything like AIS, I'm laughing really hard right now though, maybe I made it sound like I did. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

46. BlondDoctor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thats how I think of it too. Its funny cuz as I girl when I first read about this I remember thinking "what a sweet deal!"

47. Superman78

2+ Year Member

There are 3 billion real women on the planet, millions of them who would be a good match for me, so why would I settle for a shemale?

48. Nemuri

Nemuri It's too late
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Because they look hotter and you can't get them pregnant....?

Edit: Had to add the part where they don't have a penis

49. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AIS would also mean a blind vagina, that doesn't sound like too much fun. Plus I would be looking to be with someone who I could eventually have biological children with.

I guess it would depend on what I was looking for in the relationship and whether or not it was really serious.

50. bruceleehiiiyaa

Removed

pictures of AIS girls please? ;)