Would you change your degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you convert your DO to an MD in the scenario described below?

• yes

Votes: 105 56.1%
  • no

Votes: 82 43.9%

• Total voters

jawicobike

Family Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a good chance this may turn ugly, but I hope not.

I was reading the LTE in the most recent JAOA written by George Mychaskiw II, DO. Among other things he asks the following question: "If there were a nationwide initiative today similar to the one that offered conversion of doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) degrees to doctor of medicine (MD) degrees in California in the 1960s, how many DOs would be left?"

Members don't see this ad.

This is tough question I don't want to answer via a poll. I like the osteopathic philosophy and would keep the education the same. However, it my be beneficial due to the minimal stigma out there.

USArmyDoc said:
This is tough question I don't want to answer via a poll. I like the osteopathic philosophy and would keep the education the same. However, it my be beneficial due to the minimal stigma out there.

I agree that a poll may not be the best way to answer the question and a discussion would be better (hence the thread in addition to the poll), but without anonimity I fear there are many people who would not post their response for fear of ridicule, which we all know would occur.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would I want to change my degree? The osteopathic profession has allowed me to pursue the career that I want to pursue. Be proud of who and what you are. I have never been ashamed of being in osteopathic school.

jawicobike said:

I was reading the LTE in the most recent JAOA written by George Mychaskiw II, DO. Among other things he asks the following question: "If there were a nationwide initiative today similar to the one that offered conversion of doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) degrees to doctor of medicine (MD) degrees in California in the 1960s, how many DOs would be left?"

This is a good question, but I think it will get ugly.

I haven't entered school yet, so do take my writing with a grain of salt. What I write here will probably be radically different from what other more experienced posters will write about - such as OMM not being used, the fact that many DOs do ACMGE residencies, DOs taking both the USMLE, etc. And all these will be extremely interesting opinions to read.

I answered "no" to the poll. I'm not sure why I choose to answer that way, but I did. I figured, well if God wanted me to be an MD he would have made it so, but he didn't - he made me a DO, so I ain't going to mess with that. Again, I'm not sure why I think that way, but it is how my mind works.

That said, I beleive that my line of thinking has some foolishness behind it. I can think of several really interesting cases that show where this could lead to theological trouble.

Nevertheless, I do think that way. Perhaps it was because as an undergraduate, I was very troubled constantly with being a pre-med. I just felt that everyone was of better caliber than I was. I saw everyone else as being, "someone more qualified to go to medical school than me."

And I was not being overly fatalistic or demoralizing - because those folks WERE more qualified than me. They had 33 and 34 MCATs and 3.8 GPAs. I really was the dumb cat of the class - and I felt tremendously bad about. I would say to myself, it's only rational that they (the adcoms) will not pick me for medical school. And I felt extremely bitter and upset about it all because I worked very hard during my undergraduate years. I never messed around. I was always at the libary - and I always made sure to treat everyone with respect; if a homeless person needed a subway token, I got it for him (or her). I worked very hard to be accomidating and inclusive to everyone.

So when I found out that osteopathic schools were my only chance, I saw it as God giving me a chance to do what I really wanted to do. I think there was a sense of desperation in me that led me to associate any glimmer of good news as something divine. I rembered that quote from the movie musical "The Sound of Music" - when God closes the door, he always opens a window.

So for me, osteopathic schools were/was that window. If I said "yes" to the poll, I would in affect, be saying that I scorn that window being there as it was - and I can't do that. I am grateful for that window and always will be.

I think it is sad that many people at Osteopathic schools would give up their D.O. degree so quickly. I along with many of my classmates had the opportunity to attend a M.D. school. Every person I know who got into both and picked D.O. doesn't regret it for a minute. I would be willing to bet that most people that would so quickly cast aside their D.O. would do so out of a misguided sense of inferiority.

I think once many of you that would give up your D.O. degree need to go work with patients for a while. Once you have more patients than you could possibly ever treat because of the attitude that Osteopathic schools teach you, perhaps then you might see that being a D.O. isn't inferior. Its just a little bit different.

I don't start school for a couple months, but no I wouldn't trade it.

Life is more fun as the underdog. It makes victory that much sweeter. If I felt I needed to hide the fact that I didn't get into a US allo school, I would've went to the caribbean (not ripping on it, its just that the "MD" was the only advantage I personally saw for going there over DO). So what if I run into indian/paki parents who scuff at me because my degree isn't "prestigious". F' them.

My philosophy in life, whatever you are going to do, do it honestly and give it your all. Because at the end of the day, thats what allows you to keep your head up.

My home town clinic (BIG clinic) is looking for 4 family practice docs, and has actually specified that two must be DO's practicing OMM. Why change when there is a pathway for something unique and marketable? There are many issues to be discussed and tackled but actually changing, I would say no.

CatsandCradles said:
This is a good question, but I think it will get ugly.

I haven't entered school yet, so do take my writing with a grain of salt. What I write here will probably be radically different from what other more experienced posters will write about - such as OMM not being used, the fact that many DOs do ACMGE residencies, DOs taking both the USMLE, etc. And all these will be extremely interesting opinions to read.

I answered "no" to the poll. I'm not sure why I choose to answer that way, but I did. I figured, well if God wanted me to be an MD he would have made it so, but he didn't - he made me a DO, so I ain't going to mess with that. Again, I'm not sure why I think that way, but it is how my mind works.

That said, I beleive that my line of thinking has some foolishness behind it. I can think of several really interesting cases that show where this could lead to theological trouble.

Nevertheless, I do think that way. Perhaps it was because as an undergraduate, I was very troubled constantly with being a pre-med. I just felt that everyone was of better caliber than I was. I saw everyone else as being, "someone more qualified to go to medical school than me."

And I was not being overly fatalistic or demoralizing - because those folks WERE more qualified than me. They had 33 and 34 MCATs and 3.8 GPAs. I really was the dumb cat of the class - and I felt tremendously bad about. I would say to myself, it's only rational that they (the adcoms) will not pick me for medical school. And I felt extremely bitter and upset about it all because I worked very hard during my undergraduate years. I never messed around. I was always at the libary - and I always made sure to treat everyone with respect; if a homeless person needed a subway token, I got it for him (or her). I worked very hard to be accomidating and inclusive to everyone.

So when I found out that osteopathic schools were my only chance, I saw it as God giving me a chance to do what I really wanted to do. I think there was a sense of desperation in me that led me to associate any glimmer of good news as something divine. I rembered that quote from the movie musical "The Sound of Music" - when God closes the door, he always opens a window.

So for me, osteopathic schools were/was that window. If I said "yes" to the poll, I would in affect, be saying that I scorn that window being there as it was - and I can't do that. I am grateful for that window and always will be.

Your post just makes D.O. school look like the M.D. reject. And there are M.D.'s that practice OMM so you dont need to be a D.O. Why cant they just somehow incorporate Osteopathy into mainstream medicine where everyone gets an M.D. It makes things easier, with less confusion, and the same respect.

ditto what the previous post said: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A 'DO' TO PRACTICE OMM. MDs can be certified after a few hundred hours of courses to practice and bill (with the exact same ICD-9 codes we use) for OMT. Granted it would be easier to just go to DO school, but the principle of OMT being solely available to DOs is not true.
2.) some schools require a USMLE score to rotate there, and though it's often not necessary, some residencies still require USMLE, so I'm taking 2 board exams instead of 1 (yea, I know, that's my choice, but I want to prove to myself I can compete on the same level as anyone else. type A?).
3.) the extra stress involved in trying to decide whether or not to enter both match programs or just 1 is something many students face, which is why over half of our grads enter ACGME residencies.
4.) being associated with the cooky cranial people (regardless of how few of them there are) bugs the hell outta me.
At the risk of targeting myself...Given those reasons and the option of MD or DO, I'd take MD, hands down. Don't start razzlin' me about 'biting the hand that feeds me,' I've already heard the argument, and I'm as thankful as anyone else I was given this opportunity. But you can't argue that a DO student applying for ortho or derm or optho (any difficult specialty) has an equally hard time as an MD student. If you're going into primary care, sure, DO is hands down equally hard/medium/easy (however you want to categorize it), but there is no question whatsoever that DOs have a harder time getting into some specialties. I think the musculoskeletal education is factastic, but it comes at the price of jumping through more and smaller hoops.

Faraaz23 said:
I don't start school for a couple months, but no I wouldn't trade it.

Life is more fun as the underdog. It makes victory that much sweeter.

There is no need to have an "underdog" (which implies there is no need for "victory.") There are more important things to worry about as a med student/resident/doctor. Why so many feel the need for there to be a competition is beyond me. This just goes to show that the osteopathic body is as guilty of perpetuating the competition as the allopathic is.

My vote is to get rid of the DO tag, make OMT an elective course at existing DO schools, and let the people who are truly interested in OMT practice it as an MD. The net result would be a reduction in OMT class sizes and a few unemployed AOA bureaucrats. This would eliminate public confusion, make DO students who are uninterested in OMT happier, and possibly save DO students some money in the long run. Alternatively, we could continue to keep the distinction, forcing hundreds of DO students to practice something they'll never use - just so we can be the "underdogs."

jawicobike said:

What would be the benefit of changing the degree?

I'm clearly confused as to the purpose.

To use a parallel example, why would one try to convert their B.S. degree to a B.A. degree, if they could get the same job with both degrees?

OSUdoc08 said:

QUOTE]

What is the benefit to having a distinction?
I'm clearly confused as to why there is a distinction.
I'll agree with you about the Mavs, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
the1doc said:
OSUdoc08 said:

QUOTE]

What is the benefit to having a distinction?
I'm clearly confused as to why there is a distinction.
I'll agree with you about the Mavs, however.

Contrary to popular belief, medical school is taught a little bit differently in DO school than it is in MD school.

Actually,

I bet the vast majority (at least 80%) of DO's are MD rejects.

That said, I bet the majority that attend a D.O. school become proud of their education and appreciate all the time they spend learning BLT, Counterstrain, FPR, Muscle Energy (not sure about HVLA). Some hate it the whole time and mock it, but that is because they are young and have never had musclo-skeletal problems.

At least, that is the case w/ me so far. I am really happy to have gone to a DO school, but definitely didn't feel this way last year when I was pretty depressed to be going to NYCOM.

I fell

Ifellinapothole said:
Actually,

That said, I bet the majority that attend a D.O. school become proud of their education and appreciate all the time they spend learning BLT, Counterstrain, FPR, Muscle Energy (not sure about HVLA). Some hate it the whole time and mock it, but that is because they are young and have never had musclo-skeletal problems.

At least, that is the case w/ me so far. I am really happy to have gone to a DO school, but definitely didn't feel this way last year when I was pretty depressed to be going to NYCOM.

I fell

Even if this is true, I'm not clear why it matters. Since DOs and MDs are equal, why is it relevant?

OSUdoc08 said:
the1doc said:
Contrary to popular belief, medical school is taught a little bit differently in DO school than it is in MD school.

You're right. We spend 2-4 hours a week feeling each other's heads and giving massages.

Oh yeah...and we have the catchy slogan, "We treat the patient, not just the disease"....or something along those lines.

the1doc said:
OSUdoc08 said:
You're right. We spend 2-4 hours a week feeling each other's heads and giving massages.

Oh yeah...and we have the catchy slogan, "We treat the patient, not just the disease"....or something along those lines.

Yet another bitter post. You must have been one of these rejected from an MD school who used DO as a "backup."

Perhaps your osteopathic medical education is solely from your OMT course.

At my school, it is incorportated into EVERY course.

Even if you do not plan on using the techniques, you will have learned diagnostic skills to detect somatic problems that are not learned at an MD school. It should be easy for you to find musculoskeletal problems with your hands.

OSUdoc08 said:
the1doc said:
Yet another bitter post. You must have been one of these rejected from an MD school who used DO as a "backup."

Even if you do not plan on using the techniques, you will have learned diagnostic skills to detect somatic problems that are not learned at an MD school. It should be easy for you to find musculoskeletal problems with your hands.

Let's not kid ourselves. If osteopathic medicine had not assimilated itself into allopathic medicine, DOs would be competing with chiropractors and physical therapists for patients or would not exist at all.

the1doc said:
There is no need to have an "underdog" (which implies there is no need for "victory.") There are more important things to worry about as a med student/resident/doctor. Why so many feel the need for there to be a competition is beyond me. This just goes to show that the osteopathic body is as guilty of perpetuating the competition as the allopathic is.

My vote is to get rid of the DO tag, make OMT an elective course at existing DO schools, and let the people who are truly interested in OMT practice it as an MD. The net result would be a reduction in OMT class sizes and a few unemployed AOA bureaucrats. This would eliminate public confusion, make DO students who are uninterested in OMT happier, and possibly save DO students some money in the long run. Alternatively, we could continue to keep the distinction, forcing hundreds of DO students to practice something they'll never use - just so we can be the "underdogs."

AMEN!!!!!!!

OSUdoc08 said:
the1doc said:

Yea, they "incorporate" it into every one of our courses, too, but in the form of "OMT for the renal patient," and "OMT for the neuro patient"...it's just rehashing the stuff we learn in the OMM lectures and is common sense. "OMT for the respiratory patient"...let's see...rib raising, inlet, etc...

the1doc said:

Yeah I guess we should get rid of the DDS/DMD, BS/BA, PyschD/PhD psychologist things too....and while we're at it make all of the stuff in med school that I won't be using in my specialty optional....I'm not gonna be an oncologist so make cancer drugs optional...I'm not gonna be a neurologist so make neuro optional.....I'm not gonna do a lot of OMT so get it out of the curriculum......(thats sarcasm for those who weren't sure...)

homeboy said:
OSUdoc08 said:
Yea, they "incorporate" it into every one of our courses, too, but in the form of "OMT for the renal patient," and "OMT for the neuro patient"...it's just rehashing the stuff we learn in the OMM lectures and is common sense. "OMT for the respiratory patient"...let's see...rib raising, inlet, etc...
same here

PublicHealth said:
OSUdoc08 said:
Let's not kid ourselves. If osteopathic medicine had not assimilated itself into allopathic medicine, DOs would be competing with chiropractors and physical therapists for patients or would not exist at all.

Don't kid YOURSELF. If osteopathic medicine had not assimiliated itself into allopathic medicine, we would not be having this conversation, since all of us would be MDs.

homeboy said:
OSUdoc08 said:

Osteopathic medicine isn't JUST about manipulation.

Then again---maybe you didn't get that memo.

Never has OMT been integrated into our MS1 and MS2 years. How would a PhD in Micro, Pharm, etc... be able to teach us to incorporate a D.O. technique properly and clinically? Even in the Intro to Clinical Med classes they never incorporated OMT. As an MS3 Family Med is 3months taught by an M.D.! With less than 6 hrs in the 3mo of OMT incorporated by a D.O. I mean come on what is this. Its a joke most of the D.O. schools are 99% M.D. just run by some old school people allowing the students to be thought of as 2nd class by a great deal of people.

Just compare the posts by D.O. students on SDN with M.D. students. The D.O. students keep asking can a D.O. make (insert almost anything) specialty in ACGME. Will my COMLEX be accepted here or there? Just look at the difference in postings. WOW a D.O. made the cover of Newsweek! YAY! We are equal! I knew we were the same thing!

M.D.'s are better you know why. Because they respect D.O.'s enough to allow them to train in ACGME spots. While D.O.'s say no to M.D.'s Is that fair?

OSUdoc08 said:
the1doc said:

It's not bitter, just honest. Please refer to the results of this poll to see exactly how many DO students feel at least in same way like I do. Quite a few.

Why can't we have an open forum about these issues without some DO student getting all upset and starting to ramble about how I should have gone to an MD school? There were many factors that played into my decision to go DO, and when I matriculated, I was very excited about learning OMT.

For whatever reason, there are obviously (see the above poll and the cranial poll) many DO students who lose interest or never had interest in OMT. At a minimum, many DO students feel that the distinction as a DO is not important.

There are plenty of good MDs who know how to diagnose using their hands. And there are plenty of DOs who know nothing about diagnosing with their hands. People give so much credit to OMT - I don't think it deserves as much credit as it gets.

Just think about the increase in applications the D.O. schools would get if there graduates were allowed to put M.D. after there name. I know there are D.O. schools that have better training then some M.D. schools. But alot of people will still rather go to an institution that gives them an M.D. even though the education is not as good. Why do M.B., B.Ch., or MBBS, or whatever China gives, get to put M.D.? If they are allowed to so should D.O.'s be allowed to put M.D.

Mixmaster said:
Never has OMT been integrated into our MS1 and MS2 years. How would a PhD in Micro, Pharm, etc... be able to teach us to incorporate a D.O. technique properly and clinically? Even in the Intro to Clinical Med classes they never incorporated OMT. As an MS3 Family Med is 3months taught by an M.D.! With less than 6 hrs in the 3mo of OMT incorporated by a D.O. I mean come on what is this. Its a joke most of the D.O. schools are 99% M.D. just run by some old school people allowing the students to be thought of as 2nd class by a great deal of people.

Just compare the posts by D.O. students on SDN with M.D. students. The D.O. students keep asking can a D.O. make (insert almost anything) specialty in ACGME. Will my COMLEX be accepted here or there? Just look at the difference in postings. WOW a D.O. made the cover of Newsweek! YAY! We are equal! I knew we were the same thing!

M.D.'s are better you know why. Because they respect D.O.'s enough to allow them to train in ACGME spots. While D.O.'s say no to M.D.'s Is that fair?

I'm sorry that you do not recieve a complete osteopathic medical education. That does not mean it does not exist. It is incorporated into just about every course at my school. Clinical Problem Solving (problem based learning), Clinical Skills, Gross Anatomy, and Neuroanatomy are examples of courses that incorporate OMM. However, once again, DO school isn't JUST about OMM. There are other aspects of the general medical education that differ as well.

P.S. For clarification---those uninformed posts are made by pre-meds (not DO students.)

Since converting it would mean not having to worry about licensure in the 5 states and separate matches, the answer is yes. The problem is not the degree, the problem is the governing bodies.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm sorry that you do not recieve a complete osteopathic medical education. That does not mean it does not exist. It is incorporated into just about every course at my school. Clinical Problem Solving (problem based learning), Clinical Skills, Gross Anatomy, and Neuroanatomy are examples of courses that incorporate OMM. However, once again, DO school isn't JUST about OMM. There are other aspects of the general medical education that differ as well.

P.S. For clarification---those uninformed posts are made by pre-meds (not DO students.)

Please give me an example of how Osteopathic Medical Education is incorporated. Oh and since OMM is not the only thing about the education, can you please give me an example that does not include some type of manipulation or OMM technique. Thanks!

Mixmaster said:
Please give me an example of how Osteopathic Medical Education is incorporated. Oh and since OMM is not the only thing about the education, can you please give me an example that does not include some type of manipulation or OMM technique. Thanks!

If you've ever shadowed a DO and compared it with shadowing an MD, you'll know the difference.

There is a different focus in patient care. This is taught in medical school.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you've ever shadowed a DO and compared it with shadowing an MD, you'll know the difference.

Please elaborate if you will. I am very interested. I am sure that many M.D.'s are also curious. What is it? Where is the Osteopathic Education different. You said it was more than just OMT. I have only had M.D. attendings on my rotations.

Mixmaster said:
Please elaborate if you will. I am very interested. I am sure that many M.D.'s are also curious. What is it? Where is the Osteopathic Education different. You said it was more than just OMT. I have only had M.D. attendings on my rotations.
that is honestly a shame...

Mixmaster said:

I'm sorry that you did. We have DO's teach relatively every course at my school, and DO's precept pretty much every rotation.

Just because it doesn't happen at your school doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

We place more of an emphasis on diagnosing disorders of the musculoskeletal system and somatic nervous system. There is also a large emphasis on somatovisceral and viscerosomatic reflexes, as well as the role of the lymphatic system and autonomic nervous system.

OSUdoc08 said:
the1doc said:

True that!

I chose to attend a DO program starting in the fall, and I had a choice. I would always choose to keep it that way.

Because nonverbal communication is a bit shaky over the internet, I would like to point out that the previous statement was not bitter, or intended to offend anyone. I hope it did not.

I have a question then: How many of you are planning on doing as the AOA suggests (in this month's JAOA) and using your 'osteopathic' identifier before your profession???

OSU-- I know you will definitely be an 'osteopathic emergency physician' b/c of your continual assualt on everyone who isn't tooth & nail osteopathic philosophy.

Seriously though...I think this is a ridiculous suggestion that will not help our profession. Come on "I am an osteopathic cardiologist." This will not bring us any closer to getting rid of DO discrimination.

Ifellinapothole said:

I bet its way higher, and it makes me sad. Honestly, though, I bet that most of the people that 'chose' DO in my class did so because of location and not philosophy. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

Krazykritter said:
I have a question then: How many of you are planning on doing as the AOA suggests (in this month's JAOA) and using your 'osteopathic' identifier before your profession???

Nobody asked, but heres my problem with this. The practicing DO's just want to be part of the medical community, and dont feel the need to single themselves out. This is also true of the medical students I know. Most of them dont feel the need to point out to people that they are osteopathic medical students. So why this rush to indoctrinate the masses with "OMS III" on SOAP notes and "Osteopathic Anesthesiolgist" on white coats? It comes from the people in the AOA leadership and its bullsh1t. Preaching difference doesn't unify the medical professions, it divides it (obviously). BUT this is what the leadership wants. They dont just want us to be medical students or interns, but...well, you know.

Im going to be doing my damnedest to fit in, just like if I was an MD. I dont need one more thing separating me from 99% of the other 150 interns in my class, or making me 1 of 60 in my residency program. Ill stand out on merit, thank you, not on adding superfluous initials.

OSUdoc08 said:

This is very true, probably can only be evidenced through direct experience.

Idiopathic said:
Ill stand out on merit, thank you, not on adding superfluous initials.
Best thing I've heard all day. The "osteopathic identifier" is a horrible idea. Anyone read "The DO" this month? The exec dir of the AOA used the whole Richard Jadick thing as political grandstanding, and it made me sick.
A big ditto to what Idiopathic said: I'll let my merit speak for me, not my initials or some ridiculous 'osteopathic identifier.'

Krazykritter said:

I don't foresee having any problems using the identifier :thumbup:

medhacker said:
dude I do....I'm all for being proud of my degree and training...but going out of your way to prove and tell the world that you're different and unique is f*&cking stupid IMHO. I'll let people know who I am by my excellent work. If they notice that I'm a DO...great....if not?.....they'll remember me as a good Doctor plain and simple.

medhacker said:

I don't see a reason TO use the identifier when we already have DO after our names.

That's like saying Lawyer Joe Screwurmom JD, Dentist Mike Rotch DDS, or Nurse Betty Dyes RN. What is the point of the redundancy other than to have more words to put on office signs and windows. Maybe this Osteopathic identifier is a big scheme by the window lettering companies to make money.

As far as DO vs. MD, I picked DO because Des Moines was closer to where my then fiancee (now wife) was going to school (in Minnesota) than the other 2 DO schools and the 2 MD schools I was admitted at. Had I gotten accepted to an MD program that was closer, I would have gone in a heart beat, unfortunately applying to state run med schools as a non-resident of that state makes it difficult.

OSUdoc08 said:

Well you certainly bit into all the AOA corporate taglines full force. This is the kind of crap separatist ideology that prevents us from having a combined match.

I've shadowed Jerk Ignorant MD's and Jerk Ignorant DO's as well as Intelligent compassionate MD's and DO's.

The initials on your coat don't make you compassionate and competent, the person wearing the coat determines that.

Taus said:
dude I do....I'm all for being proud of my degree and training...but going out of your way to prove and tell the world that you're different and unique is f*&cking stupid IMHO. I'll let people know who I am by my excellent work. If they notice that I'm a DO...great....if not?.....they'll remember me as a good Doctor plain and simple.

And what you decide to do with your degree, initials, etc is your complete prerogative and quite respectable.

I see nothing stupid about doing something extra to prove to others you are different if you believe that letting others know about your difference will postively impact their lives and yours [not to say that is the reason why I would not mind the additional description]

I feel there are many positive things about osteopathic medicine and if mentioning my academic origins will help others come accross/know more about them I feel I will move from being a passive DO to an active one. :thumbup:

FutureNavyDOc said:
That's like saying Lawyer Joe Screwurmom JD, Dentist Mike Rotch DDS, or Nurse Betty Dyes RN.

I disagree with the congruency of your analogy. An osteopathic physician is not the same as any physician. There are no multiple types of attorneys as opposed to full physicians. I think osteopathic medicine offers unique features which I am eager to share with others, if I can accomplish that by inciting a conversation about my degree I am all for it :thumbup:

medhacker said:
I disagree with the congruency of your analogy. An osteopathic physician is not the same as any physician. There are no multiple types of attorneys as opposed to full physicians. I think osteopathic medicine offers unique features which I am eager to share with others, if I can accomplish that by inciting a conversation about my degree I am all for it :thumbup:

And thus our profession became a cult/religion.

Thanks.

I got into this to practice medicine, not to promote cranial osteopathy, chelation, crazy weight loss therapies, or become a drug dealer, all things Ive seen while on rotation with DO's. If we want to shout from the mountaintops how much different we are, we better be prepared to accept the detractors who say "look in the phone book" and point out all the DO's who specialize in glorified chiropractic care (i.e. car-wreck medicine) or weight loss clinics. Nothing wrong with it, but none of us went to medical school to do that.

Idiopathic said:
And thus our profession became a cult/religion.

Thanks.

I am not too sure of what the above meant

I got into this to practice medicine, not to promote cranial osteopathy, chelation, crazy weight loss therapies, or become a drug dealer, all things Ive seen while on rotation with DO's.

Not to get into a micturition contest but...I got into this because I believe the patient comes first, I got into this because of the patient and second because of what I want to do with medicine.

Of the above things you mentioned only one is specific to osteopathic medicine, and even that no one is forced to advertise or practice.

If we want to shout from the mountaintops how much different we are, we better be prepared to accept the detractors

I am sure detractors was the very same thing osteopathic medicine had when it first appeared. Our entire profession was born amidst the cries of being different, and from what I gather with great pride of being so. Not sure what's so wrong with being different? I believe some of the differences I will have a a DO will impact the lives of others in positive ways.