Would you consider being published in this journal worthy of putting on your CV?

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Can't hurt. Obviously it won't be too impressive, but its evidence you did some research. Yes you will have to define the pub as an abstract.

Oct 9, 2010
Status
I wouldn't list an undergrad journal even though it were archived by the D.o.E.- it's a jouranl of undergraduate research.... I would list the research experience if your article was based on research you actually did with your two hands but it will prob get a chuckle out of whoever reads your CV at the very best if you highlight it as a publication

Edit: ignore this post and see the other post. (include it in your cv)

Last edited:

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't list an undergrad journal even though it were archived by the D.o.E.- it's a jouranl of undergraduate research.... I would list the research experience if your article was based on research you actually did with your two hands but it will prob get a chuckle out of whoever reads your CV at the very best if you highlight it as a publication
At our school, we were told to list everything "published." Including poster presentations at our medical school that second years do after their last summer. Yes, it is less impressive than publishing an article in a major journal, but certainly NOT laughable.

OP
M
Jun 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thing is, so far I don't have any other publications. I did research this past summer (between MI and MII) and I'm going to try and get published, but my PI is being very slow in terms of revising my drafts, sending me data, etc. So idk what's going to come of that...

I doubt I'll have time during 3rd and 4th year (before applying to residency) to do publication-worthy research, right??

(I don't know what kind of specialty I'd like to go into, so I don't want to limit myself just yet)

Oct 9, 2010
Status
At our school, we were told to list everything "published." Including poster presentations at our medical school that second years do after their last summer. Yes, it is less impressive than publishing an article in a major journal, but certainly NOT laughable.
You're calling your poster presentation a poster presentation though. That's different than calling a "publication" in a "journal of undergrad research" a publication. If he were applying to medical school he would probably list it on his application but not at this point of his career

Edit: ignore this post (include it in your cv)

Last edited:
OP
M
Jun 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You're calling your poster presentation a poster presentation though. That's different than calling a "publication" in a "journal of undergrad research" a publication. If he were applying to medical school he would probably list it on his application but not at this point of his career
I also did a poster presentation of both research projects at the lab at which I worked...should I include that?

Sep 1, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I'd put in anything that wasn't published in JIR (Journal of Irreproducible Results) or Acta Retracta.

azzarah

sleepy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Absolutely!!! You should put it on your CV! Most people who apply to med school don't have much research experience. If I were interviewing you, I would be impressed & would definitely not laugh at you, regardless of which journal it was published in.
You should also make a section for "ongoing projects" if you have any....:luck:

Oct 9, 2010
Status
I take back what I said- put it on your CV/application. I looked at a few CVs since that post and those people put down anything and everything

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I think the answer has been made clear, but just in case...YES! put it on your CV. In fact almost everything should go on your CV until you are at fellow or attending level, as it's expected that your academic accomplishments will be minimal until you are in advanced training, unless you are an MD/Ph.D. There simply isn't time during med school and residency to research and publish a "lot," and the majority of medical students have one or no publications/posters to their name, so everything goes!

ArcGurren

only one will survive
Aug 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I got a paper from undergrad published and I put it on my CV. Anything shows that you at least have an interest or experience in it. When it comes to residency apps, you might want to show something more current or more relevant to the field you're interested in, but otherwise absolutely include it.

ThrusH

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I currently work in clinical research and have been able to field through countless physicians' CVs. Definitely include it. I remember reading over a physician's CV who was an aerospace engineer prior to attending medical school and he had numerous publications in aviation alongside his medically related publications on his CV. His publications included papers published in his undergrad's journal.