Would you consider it unethical for a non-DO to practice OMM?

Noomm

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
There are a lot of things a physician does that would definitely be considered unethical if a layman tried to do it. Probably the most obvious of this would be prescribing drugs. You don't want any old Joe Schmoe to be walking around with a prescription pad.

Do you think that the same applies for Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine? Why or why not?

Oo Cipher oO

7+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2011
MTF
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Safety is the biggest concern but if they are trained and know the contraindications to each treatment then I don't see any problem with it.

Of course they assume the liability if anything goes wrong.

acapnial

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's something people need training in so they at least know how that they can really hurt people with manipulation, and that they need to exercise caution. Putting someone in locked in syndrome is maybe the worst thing you could do to another person.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6625270

Reactions: KP2AZ

KP2AZ

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Counter strain is something you could have someone do at home, whereas muscle energy/HVLA is a no no. A small caveat that might be doable at home is Sub-Occipital release for someone with tension headaches.

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
No I don't. Some ACGME programs offer training in OMM. I also believe MDs can get CME credits for OMM (but don't quote me on that one as I haven't researched it myself.). As long as a physician is properly trained, I don't think it's unethical for a MD to use OMM.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No I don't. Some ACGME programs offer training in OMM. I also believe MDs can get CME credits for OMM (but don't quote me on that one as I haven't researched it myself.). As long as a physician is properly trained, I don't think it's unethical for a MD to use OMM.
Harvard offered it as an elective to their students.