Would you consider yourself conservative or liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you conservative or liberal?

• Total voters
I find it interesting that so many people here are "socially liberal" but "fiscally conservative" when many liberal policies would be ineffective/unmangeable with a fiscally conservative government. The two are intertwined.

When I say socially liberal, i mean things like gay marriage, abortion, etc. I don't care what other people want to do with their lives. I'll stay out of their lives and they stay out of mine, sounds like a fair deal.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so far right that I am leaning over the edge.
*extremely conservative*

:laugh: :thumbup: I wouldn't call myself "leaning over the edge", but I'm pretty conservative. Moderate in some cases.

How do you manage to pull off sounding like the typical flag-waving conservative in your attempt to bash conservatism? lol

I'm a liberal, btw. I just hate it when people (typically conservatives, but not always apparently) resort to questioning a person's patriotism to make a point. "True Americans"? *gag*
My comment came in response to an anti-American and, frankly, racist poster who suggested Americans cannot have the same health care standards in other countries.

I disagree. America is the greatest nation in the world, and Americans deserve the best health care system as well.

This isn't "flag-waving conservatism", this is just the American can-do attitude. Those who hate America and our beloved president can go to Libya or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't blindly follow politicians... and after all thats what Obama is... And what "true" Americans are you referring to? the ones that don't pay anything in taxes but only take welfare..?
There you go, bad-mouthing the American people again.

The Americans I meet are hard-working, honest, patriotic people who want to make the world better for their families and their communities. Not like those broke fools who can't even afford hygeine but still whine about taxes.

Paying taxes is the price you pay for being an American citizen. Don't like it, move to Tel Aviv or something.

There you go, bad-mouthing the American people again.

The Americans I meet are hard-working, honest, patriotic people who want to make the world better for their families and their communities. Not like those broke fools who can't even afford hygeine but still whine about taxes.

Paying taxes is the price you pay for being an American citizen. Don't like it, move to Tel Aviv or something.

I agree with you in a lot of things you are saying, but you are only going to alienate those who agree with you by your obnoxious, abrasive attitude. Israel has a much better, in my opinion, health care system (it is universal, paid for by taxes, allows for greater benefits for those who can afford it, and still fosters competition by having more than one possible health care plan), but by constantly bad mouthing Israel as well as the US you are only going to come off sounding like an ignorant d*ck because you are telling people to go to a place that have the care you are promoting. In addition you will alienate and offend those who agree with you.

Moderate turned conservative here.

It's wrong for conservatives to accuse Americans of being unpatriotic.

It's also wrong for liberals to accuse others of being racist/sexist.

I by no mean ever question anyone's patriotism. So let's just put it at that.

Most of the doctors you know are idiots.

Also, if they think Obama's proposals won't work, I'll just have to respond with "Yes we can!". Of course, only true Americans understand the significance of those words, not like the unpatriotic 'doctors' of questionable motivations and unflattering intelligence you seem to hang out with.

:laugh:

Patriotic? WTF? You are high, my friend. The only thing the government is going to do is charge us more and give us less. Patient care is going to suffer and you'll be wondering how you got stuck in such a ****hole for a healthcare system.

I'm not saying what we have now is great, because it's not, thanks to the joint efforts of Nixon and Mills creating HMO's and Medicare/caid. What we need to do is put the choices back into the patients' hands and let economics drive our healthcare system, this will help to autoregulate costs and it reward good quality care. If/when Obama's healthcare plan goes through patients will have fewer choices thus creating a situation more dire than the one we are already in. This will cause costs to continue to rise and will inevitably lead to fewer treatment options as a form of cost control. Then we will all be forced to grab our ankles and PAY MORE TAXES for FREE medical insurance.

No thank you. There are other solutions, but people don't want to think about them, because as always, people put their lives into Uncle Sam's hands and blindly trust our governement to lead us to the promised land.

Wake up, man. Go read a book, and please God stop calling people more educated than yourselves with more at stake in their lives idiots just because they know this new system will fail.

Where is the option for progressive?

Im always right, and thats all there is to it.

:laugh:

Patriotic? WTF? You are high, my friend. The only thing the government is going to do is charge us more and give us less. Patient care is going to suffer and you'll be wondering how you got stuck in such a ****hole for a healthcare system.

I'm not saying what we have now is great, because it's not, thanks to the joint efforts of Nixon and Mills creating HMO's and Medicare/caid. What we need to do is put the choices back into the patients' hands and let economics drive our healthcare system, this will help to autoregulate costs and it reward good quality care. If/when Obama's healthcare plan goes through patients will have fewer choices thus creating a situation more dire than the one we are already in. This will cause costs to continue to rise and will inevitably lead to fewer treatment options as a form of cost control. Then we will all be forced to grab our ankles and PAY MORE TAXES for FREE medical insurance.

No thank you. There are other solutions, but people don't want to think about them, because as always, people put their lives into Uncle Sam's hands and blindly trust our governement to lead us to the promised land.

Wake up, man. Go read a book, and please God stop calling people more educated than yourselves with more at stake in their lives idiots just because they know this new system will fail.

Blah blah more taxes blah blah fewer choices blah blah Obama's birth certificate. :sleep:

If you have that much hostility towards Uncle Sam and his buddy Obama, there are hundreds of countries over five continents that you could go to. In the meantime, I will watch as our great president and his hot wife score another legislative victory.

Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/leaning toward liberal. To the poster who said that you can't have most liberal social policies without taxes, the liberal social policies that I'm most in favor of are things like being pro-choice and pro-gay marriage, that don't really call for extra taxes. Welfare, not so much.

Last edited:
Blah blah more taxes blah blah fewer choices blah blah Obama's birth certificate. :sleep:

If you have that much hostility towards Uncle Sam and his buddy Obama, there are hundreds of countries over five continents that you could go to. In the meantime, I will watch as our great president and his hot wife score another legislative victory.
I think she looks like a chipmunk....thats just my opinion though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/leaning toward liberal. To the poster who said that you can't have most liberal social policies without taxes, the liberal social policies that I'm most in favor of are things like being pro-life and pro-gay marriage, that don't really call for extra taxes. Welfare, not so much.
I think welfare falls more on the fiscal side of things, not sure though.

If you have that much hostility towards Uncle Sam and his buddy Obama, there are hundreds of countries over five continents that you could go to.

Is that the only response you can come up with to anyone that opposes your viewpoints? I would respond in kind, but I'm guessing your reply would be something to the tune of "if you don't like what I have to post, go live in North Korea where they don't have the Internet.":rolleyes:

...we definitely need a libertarian option.

Half of these posters pretty much fall under that category, lol

I'm a registered Libertarian, strict constitutionalist and a firm believer in the Austrian School of Economics.

In general, I'm extremely conservative on economic and foreign policy issues, but liberal on social issues.

I think she looks like a chipmunk....thats just my opinion though.

Yea, when someone says socially X i am thinking government regs on stuff that don't involve spending money.

Welfare and fiscal conservative don't mix in my book.

I would say I am a true conservative.... meaning I want government in as little as possible which most would say is socially liberal and fiscal conservative. I am pro life though. The other social issues are more I don't care what people do.

Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/leaning toward liberal. To the poster who said that you can't have most liberal social policies without taxes, the liberal social policies that I'm most in favor of are things like being pro-life and pro-gay marriage, that don't really call for extra taxes. Welfare, not so much.

erm... not liberal. :confused:

I think welfare falls more on the fiscal side of things, not sure though.

this. and i work full-time for PA recipients so i think i'm pretty informed.

Is that the only response you can come up with to anyone that opposes your viewpoints? I would respond in kind, but I'm guessing your reply would be something to the tune of "if you don't like what I have to post, go live in North Korea where they don't have the Internet.":rolleyes:

I don't know what people want from me. If you're conservative, you obviously can't handle facts and need everything simplified to short phrases/slogans. That's what I'm giving! Do you expect me to waste my time explaining the economics of healthcare reform in the country to a CONSERVATIVE?!!:scared: That would be useless, like explaining quantum physics to a puppy.

Anyway, if you don't like my posts, go to Pyongyang or something.

i used to be very liberal... and then i met my wife, who holds a PhD in political rhetoric and does consulting work for both sides of the aisle... she told Obama how to deal with the "smoking" issue during the campaign and consulted McCain on the best ways to display his very honorable military history... anyways, i used to be extremely liberal.. and then she opened my eyes to something... it is sooooo friggin easy to confuse and manipulate the masses... getting a bill written into law is like shooting fish in a barrel... the whole trick to politics is making americans believe they have any idea what is going on... right now, i see a lot of you throwing around terms like "Family Values" and "Fiscal Responsibility"... what the hell does that even mean?!?!?! do you see how ridiculous it is for a politician to stand up and say "I support Family Values"... could you imagine a politician saying he doesnt support "family values"? its absurd... anyways... a lot of americans turn to FOX or MSNBC or CNN for their news which is outlined and distributed by people like my wife... its all talking points... completely irrelevant to the true issues but pretty enough for most people to take a side on a debate and further distract them from what is really being voted on... historically we allowed our politicians to vote away much of our first amendment and vote away oversite in medicare reimbursement(which still costs us billions today) all while we were blindly arguing over patriotism, fiscal conservation, and family values... i am still liberal... but now more centrist than anything...

with this health bill... everything that is argued today is simple conjecture... whatever MSNBC or FOX tells you is irrelevant because they know nothing about this bill... why? because it hasnt even been written yet!!!!!!! sure some scripts here and there are floating around, such as the infamous 1000 page draft... also you have all the committees working out different details and versions... but they are all worthless and irrelevant until the House floor is given the official document to debate, amend, and vote on, which historically looks nothing like these drafts we see floating around... anyways, when that bill does show up, lets formulate our opinions on health care reform on what is in pen... sit down and read the bill and dont regurgiate some talking point like some mindless zombie... we are all intelligent enough to read that thing and be critical of it... asking oberman or o'reilly for their opinion is like asking a prostitue if she is giving you a good deal...

so to clear up any confusion... it is ok to be liberal or conservative or moderate... it is not ok to be a mindless zombie who regurgitates everything they see on tv or hear on the radio or read from a bestseller... oh, and before i get trampled on for this post... it is also ok to get your news from the BBC or al jazeera or the CNO... it is not ok to think they are immune to the talking point distributions found in american media outlets... and finally, it is ok to think i am a complete tool and disregard anything i say... but then again, if you did that you would be following my advice... isnt that a nasty rub!

I don't know what people want from me. If you're conservative, you obviously can't handle facts and need everything simplified to short phrases/slogans. That's what I'm giving! Do you expect me to waste my time explaining the economics of healthcare reform in the country to a CONSERVATIVE?!!:scared: That would be useless, like explaining quantum physics to a puppy.

Anyway, if you don't like my posts, go to Pyongyang or something.

Man i wish I was as smart as you. Then I would be able to read all the facts that are laden throughtout your many captivating posts. You sir should be the king of SDN.

By the way, Being patriotic is wanting whats best for the country, not blindly following whatever politician tells you what you want to hear.

I am also a registered Libertarian. I am surprised to see so many of us on this thread. :D

A pack of intelligent people willing to work for what they want, is probably going to be libertarian more often than not.

Also socially liberal and fiscally conservative