Would you drop 1 of these classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lady Belle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing junior year, taking the mcat on May 8. My sGPA is currently a 3.6. I wish I could take all of these, and honestly wanted to go to school pt since Im also a mom. But as always, I over-enroll. I however, do really want to have as much free time as possible to dedicate to MCAT and am trying to strike a balance amongst these courses and what I can gain from them.
I am signed up for 17 credits

Cell & Molec- requirement for Microbio and am hoping to use it to review topics for MCAT

Cardio/Renal/Pulm Systems- this is the closest I can get to Physiology for MCAT

Epigenetics- Had him Bio 102, wrote me a Rec and invited me to this class, which I find interesting, but also would love a stronger letter of rec from him. Also, uses the CREATE approach to analyze scientific articles, which is the biggest part of the course. I figured this would also help with the cars section of MCAT.

Physics 2- sigh, the one class im not looking forward to, I struggled quite a bit in it and had only had a basic intro 15 yrs earlier in hs. but been told its a MUST for MCAT.

Research- Have the opportunity to do Honors Independent Research in Genetics for credit. And would be the only research experience I could get my hands on

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In order I would drop reseach>epigenetics>cardio/renal/pulm/cell & molec> physics 2
(Note this is based on an understanding of the OLD MCAT)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take physics 2 before I took the MCAT and the PS section was my highest score (13). I did take the old MCAT so take my advice with a grain of salt and I had been exposed to the material in high school.

I didn't take physics 2 before I took the MCAT and the PS section was my highest score (13). I did take the old MCAT so take my advice with a grain of salt and I had been exposed to the material in high school.
Most people will not score at or above a 13 so your n=1 would probably be scored as an outlier and not relevant to OP's situation, especially given their animosity towards the course.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks.
Also, epigenetics is a course that uses the CREATE approach to analyzing scientific articles, which is the biggest part of the course. I figured this would also help with the cars section of MCAT.
This would be 17 credits as cell and mol as well as physics have a lab and so are 4 credits.
I def struggled in physics, it had been 15 years since I took and intro course in high school.

Last edited:
Hey! So I overloaded my classes when I was in school and I paid for it in terms of my GPA. Ultimately, you're the only one who knows how much you can handle. I personally would drop research and/or physics. The mcat review books do a great job of teaching the physics concepts, and with the new mcat the physics section incorporates a lot of other subjects as well. Remember, the mcat tests you on your basic knowledge on the subjects. The difficulty comes from deciphering the passages for information. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Most people will not score at or above a 13 so your n=1 would probably be scored as an outlier and not relevant to OP's situation, especially given their animosity towards the course.
I think I worded my response the wrong way. You are absolutely correct but my badly communicated point was that MCAT science is typically less deep than what you see in your class, eg the circuits are simpler etc. and if OP sacrifices something to khanacademy and is dedicated she might be all right.

Well if you're just doing 17 credits you should be fine. But if you're also working>5-7 hours a week/jugging significant other commitments with the 17 credits then doing well in ALL the courses might become challenging.

Gosh, you don't have to pre-study for med school!

I was in school and I paid for it in terms of my GPA.
1ce14.jpg
ht11.jpg

dh.jpg

Depending on the school, cell and molec could be really similar to biochem. If it isn't, I'd keep it and drop epigenetics. I'd also try to do research but use the credits for class to knock out a core requirement or something

You don't really need Physiology for the MCAT so I would consider dropping Cardio/Renal/Pulm. You'll learn all of this in waaaaayy greater detail when you get to med school so learning it now probably won't help much.

Also, epigenetics isn't really necessary. But it may be worth it for the LOR. There are so many ways to prep for CARS. I personally found the ExamKrackers book to be a great resource.

Alas, there's no way of getting around Physics 2. I'm not exactly sure how much of the Physics material on the MCAT comes from Physics 1 vs 2 but if it's something you've struggled with in the past, it's probably a good idea to take it now just to cover your bases. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it! (Tutoring, office hours, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I worded my response the wrong way. You are absolutely correct but my badly communicated point was that MCAT science is typically less deep than what you see in your class, eg the circuits are simpler etc. and if OP sacrifices something to khanacademy and is dedicated she might be all right.
Ok that is fair! However i would say something like epigenetics is lower yield than physics so if OP is going to drop something that is probably the better option for the MCAT.

Ok that is fair! However i would say something like epigenetics is lower yield than physics so if OP is going to drop something that is probably the better option for the MCAT.

I would also agree with you there.

Um ... wait. 17 credits (all science) AND study for the MCAT? AND a mom?

That's nuts. drop the card/kid/ course for sure... and I would not take the 5/6 MCAT either ... take it in June (not too late... just make sure your app is in 1st week of June)

Here is my schedule. I will not do the Research class, so this drops me down to 14 credits. I was thinking of signing up for the Kaplan MCAT in Person Plus class m/w from 6:30 to 9 since my school gets a large discount or Examkrackers. Seeing my schedule, would you still recommend I drop Epigenetics.
class comparison.jpg

schedule s16.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 10.41.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 10.41.51 PM.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 33

Just FYI op - I took the new MCAT and had maybe 1 vignette with physics in it. I'm making a fallacy of generalization but physics is not necessary for the new MCAT.

That being said, I focused my MCAT prep on high yield topics (biochem/biology) and had decided on skipping all physics vignettes as a strategy, even during practice. Do what works for you in this regard.

Since I'm not a parent, I wish you the best in your main thread topic and hope it works out well for you.

Just FYI op - I took the new MCAT and had maybe 1 vignette with physics in it. I'm making a fallacy of generalization but physics is not necessary for the new MCAT.

That being said, I focused my MCAT prep on high yield topics (biochem/biology) and had decided on skipping all physics vignettes as a strategy, even during practice. Do what works for you in this regard.

Since I'm not a parent, I wish you the best in your main thread topic and hope it works out well for you.
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf
It is 25% of that section. It may have worked out for you but it IS a significant part of the test. The breakdown is subject to vary so OP is just as liable to get a physics heavy test. So the best thing is to prepare for everything.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf
It is 25% of that section. It may have worked out for you but it IS a significant part of the test. The breakdown is subject to vary so OP is just as liable to get a physics heavy test. So the best thing is to prepare for everything.

You do realize that 25% of a section that is 25% of a test means that the material is only worth ~6% of the total test, right?

I stand by my assertion. Go for topics you know will be high yield for you - I.E. subjects where the least amount of work in your part will gain you the biggest point differences on your exam.

You do realize that 25% of a section that is 25% of a test means that the material is only worth ~6% of the total test, right? I stand by my assertion. Go for topics you know will be high yield for you - I.E. subjects where the least amount of work in your part will gain you the biggest point differences on your exam.
You do realize what @claduva94 said, right? YOU may have gotten the CP section that was 75% biochem, 10% orgo, 10% gen chem, a 5% physics. However, I guarantee you on here and reddit and other premed forums, MANY people got the

75% physics
20% gen chem/orgo
5% biochem

in the CP section. YOU got lucky that your exam did not slam the physics. Count your lucky stars and buy a lottery ticket. For everyone else, do not play that game.

Make sure you understand physics 2 (which really, if you know how to flip around formulas from physics 1, physics 2 formulas are much the same; and the right hand rule for electro-magnetics).

At OP, I still think you've got too much on your plate. dump the physio class too... Kaplan will get you all you need to know for the physio pieces.

You do realize that 25% of a section that is 25% of a test means that the material is only worth ~6% of the total test, right?

I stand by my assertion. Go for topics you know will be high yield for you - I.E. subjects where the least amount of work in your part will gain you the biggest point differences on your exam.
Epigenetics is WAY lower yield than Physics 2 anyway. So advising dropping physics over something like that is not beneficial. The MCAT shouldn't be a gamble of what you prepare for vs what is on the test. You should be able to prepare for it COMPLETELY if you plan for it correctly.

I could drop Physio, but it fits so perfectly in my schedule, and aside from not having to study for it, I dont know what else i could get done in that now open slot (lol, petty i know). I also figured that this is a class that would combine a lot of bio topics in a more applied conceptual way rather than just bits here and there. This prof i also just had for another class, so could potentially be a rec letter, though not sure yet.
However, I posted the syllabus for the classes in question, and I honestly trust you guys more than the advisors at my school, as they generally give terrible advice.

I could drop Physio, but it fits so perfectly in my schedule, and aside from not having to study for it, I dont know what else i could get done in that now open slot (lol, petty i know). I also figured that this is a class that would combine a lot of bio topics in a more applied conceptual way rather than just bits here and there. This prof i also just had for another class, so could potentially be a rec letter, though not sure yet.
However, I posted the syllabus for the classes in question, and I honestly trust you guys more than the advisors at my school, as they generally give terrible advice.
Based on syllabuses I stand by my original ranking except for maybe weighing epigenetic and research equally.

You do realize what @claduva94 said, right? YOU may have gotten the CP section that was 75% biochem, 10% orgo, 10% gen chem, a 5% physics. However, I guarantee you on here and reddit and other premed forums, MANY people got the

75% physics
20% gen chem/orgo
5% biochem

in the CP section. YOU got lucky that your exam did not slam the physics. Count your lucky stars and buy a lottery ticket. For everyone else, do not play that game.

Make sure you understand physics 2 (which really, if you know how to flip around formulas from physics 1, physics 2 formulas are much the same; and the right hand rule for electro-magnetics).

At OP, I still think you've got too much on your plate. dump the physio class too... Kaplan will get you all you need to know for the physio pieces.

Here is a quote from AAMC about the topic:

You may wonder how much chemistry you’ll see on this section of the MCAT exam, how many questions you’ll get about a particular foundational concept, or how the scientific inquiry and reasoning
skills will be distributed on your exam. The questions that you see are likely to be distributed in the ways described below. These are the approximate percentages of questions you’ll see on a test for each discipline...

Discipline:
First-semester biochemistry, 25%
Introductory biology, 5%
General chemistry, 30%
Organic chemistry, 15%
Introductory physics, 25%

I don't count lucky stars. I don't use reddit as a source. I just read, use strategy, and prepare.

My MCAT C/P was at least 50% physics and that's not an exaggeration. If anything, I'm being generous. I took Phys2 and got a 130 on the section, so it paid off.