Would you eat a poop hot dog to gain admission to your first choice school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you eat a poop hot dog to get into your first choice school?

• Yes

Votes: 2,011 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,168 36.7%

• Total voters
It's a hypothetical. No one is actually eating anything. I highly doubt 62% (the current response rate) of all medical applicants would actually eat a **** sandwich for Harvard. I highly doubt the true percentage would be significantly different from a group of older-generation aspirants for similarly desirable things.
I dunno, I've had this conversation with several friends and the answers we're surprising. The majority seem to be of the, "so what, this one thing and you're set for life" mentality. Can't say about older people, but there was a certain GFY nature individuals had in the Greatest Generation that has gradually diminished. The writing of ordinary people from that era compared to today is quite a contrast.

Reactions: 1 user
This is silly. If (when) you vomit does it still count? Are you allowed a drink? Skinny dog or thick?

Oh this is ridiculous...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you imagine yourself eating a poop hotdog and just how ducking gross that is, you'll come to realize that HMS is overrated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yay, a generation vs. generation morality debate originating from a non-serious topic
I was just thinking about how sad it is that for many, this would be an actual dilemma worthy of weighing were they given the offer. That just naturally extended to "why."

Sheeeeeeshhh..... that's uhhhh... that's some commitment. I'd eat 1, but 365x4 is a lot of poop. I'd basically be all poop when I got my MD.
I sort of wonder, based on everyone else's replies, if I just think poop is less gross than most people. I spend half my day wiping up literal poop some days... and honestly, it is the least taxing, least disgusting part of my job. There are a lot worse things out there than poop.

And then there's those of us that would say, "if Harvard wants me to eat a poop hotdog to attend because they don't believe my application holds its own weight then they can go **** themselves." Like, I'd literally say that to their face, I can't imagine any other logical response to such an offer. Human dignity is the most basic of human values, and essentially what human rights are built around; that anyone would sacrifice that for what amounts to a job is sickening on a deep moral level. I mean, I hate to get all serious about this joke of a thread, but it reflects a very bizarre new amoral compass that I fear will be the driving force of the elite in my lifetime, since I'm not much older than you.
I wonder how much older you are, exactly, and whether you've ever really struggled financially. Like had to make the decisions between electricity and food-type struggles. Granted, there are some lines I won't cross - several of my coworkers are sleeping with one particular intensivist and asking him for money, for example - but I hardly think eating a metaphorical poop hot dog falls to quite that level of loss of dignity.

All it takes is a basic inflation calculator to show that comparing this generation's desire for stability compared to previous generations is silly because more things are stacked against us. Ask someone older, when he first started work, about the price of his rent, his car, his education, and how much he made. Most of the time you'll find that my (Millennial) generation makes far less money to pay for far more expensive things. Adjusted for inflation, my mother in the '70s as a receptionist made 1.5 times what I made as a hotel front desk person, and paid about half the car payment and half the rent that I did. I showed her these numbers one day when she and I had this conversation because she talked about how much more I made than she used to and how she got along just fine, and it shut her up quick. Other generations grew up in a world where their money went much farther than our entry level incomes do today. I bet if you slashed their wages and raised their rents, too, people 30 years ago would probably also give up a little bit of their dignity for a chance at a better life.

I sort of wonder, based on everyone else's replies, if I just think poop is less gross than most people. I spend half my day wiping up literal poop some days... and honestly, it is the least taxing, least disgusting part of my job. There are a lot worse things out there than poop.

I wonder how much older you are, exactly, and whether you've ever really struggled financially. Like had to make the decisions between electricity and food-type struggles. Granted, there are some lines I won't cross - several of my coworkers are sleeping with one particular intensivist and asking him for money, for example - but I hardly think eating a metaphorical poop hot dog falls to quite that level of loss of dignity.

All it takes is a basic inflation calculator to show that comparing this generation's desire for stability compared to previous generations is silly because more things are stacked against us. Ask someone older, when he first started work, about the price of his rent, his car, his education, and how much he made. Most of the time you'll find that my (Millennial) generation makes far less money to pay for far more expensive things. Adjusted for inflation, my mother in the '70s as a receptionist made 1.5 times what I made as a hotel front desk person, and paid about half the car payment and half the rent that I did. I showed her these numbers one day when she and I had this conversation because she talked about how much more I made than she used to and how she got along just fine, and it shut her up quick. Other generations grew up in a world where their money went much farther than our entry level incomes do today. I bet if you slashed their wages and raised their rents, too, people 30 years ago would probably also give up a little bit of their dignity for a chance at a better life.
I'm technically a millennial, a mid-80s kid. I was a homeless high school dropout that fought and clawed and struggled to build a life for myself and eventually made it to medical school. I've struggled more than 99% of SDN, I can literally guarantee it. And never, even on my hungriest of days, would I have ever considered eating **** for a better life, nor did I ever ask for handouts or use assistance of any sort. But hey, maybe I'm just cut from different cloth than most people. That's how I got to where I am today.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm technically a millennial, a mid-80s kid. I was a homeless high school dropout that fought and clawed and struggled to build a life for myself and eventually made it to medical school. I've struggled more than 99% of SDN, I can literally guarantee it. And never, even on my hungriest of days, would I have ever considered eating **** for a better life, nor did I ever ask for handouts or use assistance of any sort. But hey, maybe I'm just cut from different cloth than most people. That's how I got to where I am today.
Props to you for getting where you are with those odds. That's impressive.

You are definitely cut from a different cloth than me, at least... but it's hard for me to consider the poop hot dog a true handout, considering I'd still have to do all the course work, pass the step exams on my own, find funding for school on my own, and have enough merit to land a residency on my own. I'd just eat poop every day to have someone review my application right now to see if I'm good enough to get in somewhere.

Props to you for getting where you are with those odds. That's impressive.

You are definitely cut from a different cloth than me, at least... but it's hard for me to consider the poop hot dog a true handout, considering I'd still have to do all the course work, pass the step exams on my own, find funding for school on my own, and have enough merit to land a residency on my own. I'd just eat poop every day to have someone review my application right now to see if I'm good enough to get in somewhere.
Been there, done that. I just made sure I was good enough, and worked hard for many years for enough cash to be successful throughout.

I was just thinking about how sad it is that for many, this would be an actual dilemma worthy of weighing were they given the offer. That just naturally extended to "why."

In all reality I would probably actually tell the school to go f*** themselves if they rejected me, but then offered me the dog in exchange for an acceptance. I don't need your prestige for a **** dog if I can get in elsewhere on my own merits.

Dunno why but the schools rejecting me when I applied rubbed me the wrong way. Just led me to feel if they rejected me, I probably wouldn't have liked them much either/ "they didn't deserve me" or whatever. Not worth eating a dump dog just to go somewhere you weren't actually wanted!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If no risk any type of medical problem... well... never mind...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Several years ago, I would have said absolutely; now, I would say heck no. Where you go to medical school largely makes zero difference whatsoever in terms of your future (except for obviously Caribbean schools, etc). If you get into ANY not-for-profit American MD school, you have every single door on earth open to you as long as you work hard and succeed in medical school.

As the saying goes: "One man's poop is another man's Harvard acceptance."
Pure, unadulterated greatness.

Residency >>> med school.
Would you eat a poop hot dog to get into your top choice residency???

That's a good question. In real life I'd say no, for a few reasons mainly related to pride and the fact that I'm probably not well-suited to my "dream" residency (e.g. CT at Harvard or something). But in my head, back against the wall, I'd say yes or wish I had at least once.

so I was explaining to my mom what SDN is the other day and told her about some of the cool people I’ve met, bought books from, and received advice from. Our convo went something like this.

Mom: “wow, sounds like a great resource to have to be able to ask questions and connect to people like yourself. It sounds like there are a lot of really smart people on there. I’m glad they will be the next wave of doctors!”

Me: *flashes back a year to reading this thread* *cringes*

Reactions: 10 users
Ask me as a pre med and I would eat a poop hot dog every day to get into medical school.

Ask me now, and I'd eat a poop hot dog to take it all back, see the light, and never enter medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Now that I've gone through my app cycle, I wouldn't eat it for a top choice, but I would chow down if it would guarantee me healthy work-life balance lol

however.... what kind of quality are we talking out? any old fecal sample, or something roasted well with lots (and i mean LOTS) of condiments? i think mentally i would be prepared, but i think my body would literally physically rebel against me hahaha

Replying just to be part of history

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In reality, I’d eat the poop hotdog if my school told me to because I’d just figure it was more of their ****ty curriculum I have to swallow every day.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
In reality, I’d eat the poop hotdog if my school told me to because I’d just figure it was more of their ****ty curriculum I have to swallow every day.

1459.gif

I ate the poop hotdog. It's called $50,000 tuition and $20,000 living expenses/fees and no financial assistance.

(per year)

A poop hot dog? ****, I'd do more than that.

• Love
Answered no because I didn’t eat a hot dog, and got into my top choice anyway. #FlexTooStrong :cool:

All federal loans at ridiculous 7% interest. No financial assistance = no scholarships, grants, or help from parents .
Gooooootcha. Well, at least $280,000 ain’t that bad. I’ve seen some people come out with like $400,000 in loans because they decided to go to an out-of-state school $70000 tuition

In hindsight I would say yes. Also, I'm sure poop will be the next big thing with molecular gastronomy. So getting your top choice of medical education for eating one is better than having to pay $200 for a poop hot dog.

In hindsight I would say yes. Also, I'm sure poop will be the next big thing with molecular gastronomy. So getting your top choice of medical education for eating one is better than having to pay $200 for a poop hot dog.
If you go on YouTube, you can find instructional videos for a DIY fecal enema (DIY Fecal transplant). People gonna be people and goop gonna goop.

• Haha
Well I do know someone who was considering doing this after she got C Diff for the 3rd time (and she already had a fecal transplant).
Lady just needs to be put as the second person in a human centipede. 3 times?!

• Haha
signed on after many years just to see if this is still around. you did not disappoint

This thread has been going on for 17 years. There are people reading this thread that weren't even born when it was made.

Truly shows that the willingness to eat poop to go to medical school has not faded, even across generations. This thread should be used as a poster child for why generational conflict is meaningless.

Reactions: 5 users

The amount of effort to suffer eating 1 thing vs suffering 4 years to *maybe* get into something like dermatology (with it's great $kin pathology) is not even a little bit close whatsoever.

This thread has been going on for 17 years. There are people reading this thread that weren't even born when it was made.

Truly shows that the willingness to eat poop to go to medical school has not faded, even across generations. This thread should be used as a poster child for why generational conflict is meaningless.
Oh **** lol, did not even see the date

Was talking with a doc I shadow today about fecal transplantation and I am sad/concerned that the first thing that popped into my head was this thread, lmao

Reactions: 2 users