Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As I was idly watching SDN Live I saw this thread in pre-medical Allo (MD), and thought it was an interesting question. So I stole it!

So seriously guys, gals, would you ever want to be on an admissions committee, or maybe just be an interviewer? Why/why not?

Personally I think it'd be awesome, I'd definitely give it a shot at least for a cycle if the opportunity presented itself. Just imagine seeing all the differences in applicants, getting to call and accept people, etc. Play different roles with different interviewees, wear some weird tie one day, act like Agent Smith another.

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
Definitely! I think making those acceptance calls would be a good time. But I think participating in any part of the process would be fun. Hopefully in 18 months or so we can at least get to sit in on some interviews at 'ol em-dub.

I didn't notice SDN Live until just last week.

OP
Kahr

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely! I think making those acceptance calls would be a good time. But I think participating in any part of the process would be fun. Hopefully in 18 months or so we can at least get to sit in on some interviews at 'ol em-dub.

Haha, "em-dub". That kind of pisses me off too, cause it reminds me of "U-dub" :cool: But yeah, I just mentioned that to someone else, about sitting in on interviews, I'm definitely going to volunteer for that.

SDN Live is nice, but if it's too busy it's impossible to follow.

DocHolliday1982

I'm Your Huckleberry
Apr 19, 2012
Status
Dental Student

Sit in on the interviews, check, sounds like fun to be a student interviewer and after all this time applying it would be nice to "peek" behind the curtain a little to see how it works..... Don't think I'd ever want to be on the Adcom, tough gig, as much grief as we give them my hat goes off to them, not an easy job

Feb 21, 2011
Status
Play different roles with different interviewees, wear some weird tie one day, act like Agent Smith another.
Right when I read that, I realized I would never want someone like you on the admissions committee. This isn't a game and shouldn't be treated as such. You're messing around with people's lives and futures. Applicants have worked hard for years to get where they are. Everyone deserves the same fair chance as the next person. Would you want your interviewer going agent smith on you and then buddying up with the next guy?

OP
Kahr

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Right when I read that, I realized I would never want someone like you on the admissions committee. This isn't a game and shouldn't be treated as such. You're messing around with people's lives and futures. Applicants have worked hard for years to get where they are. Everyone deserves the same fair chance as the next person. Would you want your interviewer going agent smith on you and then buddying up with the next guy?
When I say "agent smith" I mean simply being serious and dark suited, not messing with anyone. Course I imagine the sunglasses might have to be ditched. If I were the type to "mess" with people, I'd be doing it right now on SDN, wouldn't I? Furthermore, I doubt that type is often invited to participate in interviews or admissions committees; perhaps you had a bad experience? It's fair to say you either don't know me, are joking with incredible finesse, or are misinterpreting what I said. If you're not joking, then I apologize for putting such a negative image in your mind.

Incidentally, I based "agent smith" and weird tie on actual interviewers. Neither messed with me, and both took their job seriously, but not uncomfortably so, either role I'd be fine with switching between to change things up for myself. I'm sure being the exact same for every interview would become boring.

In any case, I don't mind if you question my answer, but I'd be far more happy to see you actually participate productively in the thread and give your own answer to it. :)

Feb 21, 2011
Status
When I say "agent smith" I mean simply being serious and dark suited, not messing with anyone. Course I imagine the sunglasses might have to be ditched. If I were the type to "mess" with people, I'd be doing it right now on SDN, wouldn't I? Furthermore, I doubt that type is often invited to participate in interviews or admissions committees; perhaps you had a bad experience? It's fair to say you either don't know me, are joking with incredible finesse, or are misinterpreting what I said. If you're not joking, then I apologize for putting such a negative image in your mind.

Incidentally, I based "agent smith" and weird tie on actual interviewers. Neither messed with me, and both took their job seriously, but not uncomfortably so, either role I'd be fine with switching between to change things up for myself. I'm sure being the exact same for every interview would become boring.

In any case, I don't mind if you question my answer, but I'd be far more happy to see you actually participate productively in the thread and give your own answer to it. :)
Misinterpretation and slightly cranky from dental finals. My apologies for coming off as a jerk. :beer:

Apr 26, 2012
Virginia
Status
I'm working on it as we speak!

I love teaching. I love management. I love administration. I love students and driven young people. Why not combine it all?

OP
Kahr

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Misinterpretation and slightly cranky from dental finals. My apologies for coming off as a jerk. :beer:
Ahh, that sucks man, best of luck with those finals. :thumbup: beer*

*In moderation until after finals hopefully :p

I'm working on it as we speak!

I love teaching. I love management. I love administration. I love students and driven young people. Why not combine it all?
That's pretty cool, I feel like so many people don't even think about that end of career spectrum as a dental professional, good for you. Might be nice to find a balance, where you could spend part of your work week in practice, and part doing educational stuff.

goffdent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
CORN
Status
Dental Student
I would not like to be on the admissions committee.. Rather a dental student.. It's such a relief to watch you predents come trotting into the lab or the clinic all primped up in your suits and fancy clothes acting all shy and professional-like.. Almost brings a tear to my eye.. not out of happiness, but out of pain from remembering myself having to go through it. To be honest, when interviewees walk into the lab when on a tour, we all talk.. and we stay stuff like "someone should tell them to quit right now.." and "so naive.. they have no idea what's coming to them." "If they like their life now, they better enjoy it, because dental school is like riding 1000 fire-breathing centaur-unicorns through the mine-ridden fields of trasylvania".. OKay I made the last one up, but the others are true. I pity you.. good luck though. :)

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I think I would like it. However, I think I would like to do it more in the later years of my career than the earlier years. It would be a great thing to do when I actually have free time (someday lol)