Would you go into general medicine to get a subsidized loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deva

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose that you can get an unsubsidized loan or a subsidized loan for your med school education costs. But if you want a subsidized loan, you have to agree to go into general medicine or family practice. (These loans exist.) Would this convince you to go into general medicine?

I was just thinking about economic incentives and their effect on physician supply. These incentives must work in some way - the loan mentioned above must increase the number of general practitioners. But I'm looking for some anecdotal evidence that they work :wink: So would you choose your career path based on what loans you could get?

Members don't see this ad.

If I knew I would be in debt for another few years of my life and I was going into something I enjoyed, then I would be fine with taking unsubsidized loans!

I think you shouldn't compromise your CAREER for not very many thousands of dollars in the end.

I really don't want to limit my options to general med. Although the money would be nice, I would hate to discover in a couple of years that I really enjoy surgery or orthopaedics or whatever, and not be able to go into it without taking a huge financial hit. (Although this would be similar to taking out a loan, I think once I make a committment, best to stick with it). On the other hand, will I be kicking myself if I decide 3 years from now that I really enjoy family practice, and I didn't take advantage of the "free" money?? :confused: I guess I would just rather leave my options open and hope that later on I make enough bank to payoff all the loans.

Scooby, I agree with you completely.
These incentives are there, though, based on the assumption that they actually work. If this assumption is correct, then there must be some people who *would* base their career choices on these factors.

I'm going to ask my health economics prof for evidence that these incentives work. Meanwhile, what does everyone else think?