Would you go to a school that didn't want you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you somehow found out (by accident) that one of the schools you were admitted to didn't want you to come, would you still considering going?

What if, because you found out, you had been given an opportunity to address the school's concerns and they took back anything that had been said (though you'll never know if they actually changed their minds or if they took it back b/c you found out)?

What would you do?

Sorry to be vague, I don't want to reveal anything that might identify me.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a MPH student or a MS/PhD student? The answer would differ between the two.

MPH student: Yes. MPH doesn't depend on faculty relationships for you to succeed
MS/PhD student: No, because the faculty (and your adviser/PI) is crucial in your success

Good point - I would be an MPH student.

I'm worried about not being selected for future funding opportunities (such as teaching or research assistant positions) and/or good field sites. If I'm going to spend SO much money, I want to get everything out of it.

What do you guys think?

Are you a MPH student or a MS/PhD student? The answer would differ between the two.

MPH student: Yes. MPH doesn't depend on faculty relationships for you to succeed
MS/PhD student: No, because the faculty (and your adviser/PI) is crucial in your success

Members don't see this ad :)
This is obviously something you are already worried about, so wouldn't that by nature be in the back of your mind if you want there? And perhaps affect your confidence or happiness at that school? In my mind there should be a very good reason for deciding to go there if you are willing to potentially compromise comfort, confidence, and happiness.

Good point - I would be an MPH student.

I'm worried about not being selected for future funding opportunities (such as teaching or research assistant positions) and/or good field sites. If I'm going to spend SO much money, I want to get everything out of it.

What do you guys think?

I would want to know WHY the school didn't want me. If it was because of academic reasons, then I would want to know if the school thought their curriculum was too demanding for me to handle (based on my transcripts, etc). If it was because of lack of work experience then I would consider how important prior work experience is to my success in the school (projects etc).

I also agree with swemory2007 that if this issue is going to be at the back of your mind it could affect your confidence and performance.

I don't understand the difference between being an MPH student and MS/PhD student in this situation; I think the faculty relationship is very important even for MPH students. I honestly don't know if I would go to a school that didn't want me. When I got my acceptance to a program (that I eventually turned down), it was after the visit day so I knew I was accepted after someone else declined. Knowing that had some impact on my decision. But then again I don't know the details of your situation. It may be something that lingers in the back of your mind, but that doesn't equate negative outcomes, it could in fact provide you with motivation.

They admitted me ,which suggests that they were not concerned by my academic potential or lack of experience, on paper. They changed their mind after I was on campus - I interacted only minimally with the faculty, so it was a quick judgement that was made.

You guys are all correct - I am worried about this. The reason I am still thinking about it is that I want to be in this geographic area and there are no other comparable options in that area. (And it IS a great school.)

An analogy - it's as if I moved to the Pacific NW and really want to stay there, was drawn to and then admitted to UW and then this happened. There are no other great options in that area, especially ones that teach/examine all aspects of public health.

Wow, that is pretty disturbing to me that they would make such sweeping judgments based on what basically boils down to personality instead of your aptitude for the program. What if you are just not an outgoing person and that's why you didn't "interact" with faculty on visit day? I don't know if it is standard for a program to judge students like that (I hope not), but they seem pretty uptight at that school.

Tough situation. It seems to me that if the faculty are like that, it will add much additional stress to the next 2 or so years, and that would limit how much you get out of the program. I personally would like to go to a school with supportive--or at least more easy-going--faculty with whom I feel comfortable. That said, I don't think grad school is a nurturing place to begin with even if the faculty do "want" you, and I feel you'll pretty much be in the same boat with the other students in your program once you're there if you do end up deciding to go.

They admitted me ,which suggests that they were not concerned by my academic potential or lack of experience, on paper. They changed their mind after I was on campus - I interacted only minimally with the faculty, so it was a quick judgement that was made.

You guys are all correct - I am worried about this. The reason I am still thinking about it is that I want to be in this geographic area and there are no other comparable options in that area. (And it IS a great school.)

An analogy - it's as if I moved to the Pacific NW and really want to stay there, was drawn to and then admitted to UW and then this happened. There are no other great options in that area, especially ones that teach/examine all aspects of public health.

Judging by how worried you are about it, I'd just outright say, no, don't attend.

Clarification - I was using UW as an analogy. This isn't UW we're talking about, but a similar caliber program.

I won't reveal the program because I don't want this to reflect poorly on them. This may be a one-time thing and I don't want anyone else on here to worry about it if they are going there.

Judging by how worried you are about it, I'd just outright say, no, don't attend.

Stories - I'd say that that's my default right now, but if I don't go here, I won't go at all this year, and so it's another year before I feel like I get to really make some changes.

I don't understand the difference between being an MPH student and MS/PhD student in this situation; I think the faculty relationship is very important even for MPH students.

I completely agree, especially when a thesis is required.

Stories - I'd say that that's my default right now, but if I don't go here, I won't go at all this year, and so it's another year before I feel like I get to really make some changes.

Confused,

I know this must be a nerve-wracking time for you, but I really think you should reach out to the head of (or someone high up in) the admissions committee and ask your question outright, "What was the basis of the change of heart?" If you don't resolve this question for yourself now, you'll regret passing up the chance to go to this school out of fear.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, I feel so bad for you! You're really between a rock and a hard place. :(
Normally, I'd say hold off and go to another school, but with your geographical limitations, maybe you should go for it. Since it was a personality issue rather than academic, I think it's something you can probably overcome. Maybe you could email a few professors you are interested in working with, introduce yourself and ask them about their research. I'm sure actively participating in class (so the prof gets to know you) will also help.

Wow, I feel so bad for you! You're really between a rock and a hard place. :(
Normally, I'd say hold off and go to another school, but with your geographical limitations, maybe you should go for it. Since it was a personality issue rather than academic, I think it's something you can probably overcome. Maybe you could email a few professors you are interested in working with, introduce yourself and ask them about their research. I'm sure actively participating in class (so the prof gets to know you) will also help.

Or, this.

I completely agree with Kurly. Student visit day is a terrible time to make decisions about someone's personality (in both directions - your impressions of profs, their impressions of you) because it's such a busy, hectic time. If you live in the area, take advantage of it and reach out to profs, get to know them, visit their offices and show them how interested and qualified you are. Impress them on an individual basis...

ucnative - that's great advice, hopefully I'll get an honest answer.

Confused,

I know this must be a nerve-wracking time for you, but I really think you should reach out to the head of (or someone high up in) the admissions committee and ask your question outright, "What was the basis of the change of heart?" If you don't resolve this question for yourself now, you'll regret passing up the chance to go to this school out of fear.

Confused82,
So sorry about that! Who would want to go somewhere that they feel unwanted? (regardless if its perceived or known).
BUT - how did you feel about this program before you heard/read/learned about them not wanting you to come? Were you excited/life was fantastic/etc? I would absolutely base your decision whether to attend on that. In my meeting/visitors day trip a few weeks back, I met with my assigned advisor and it was disasterous (she may as well have called me a ***** - it was THAT bad). Later in the day though I met another professor whom I loved. I'm going to that program (and of course changing my advisor ASAP!). I also think you have the upper hand in the situation if they know you somehow found out (at least I would feel like a jerk if I were them). Just my 2 cents...

To be honest I am a bit confused. Have they accepted you and then rejected you now? When you say "change of heart" what do you mean? If they don't want you there and have taken back there acceptance then what are we discussing here?

I'm still accepted. I just found out that they were trying to discourage me from coming (without actually saying that) because they were unimpressed with me during my visit - no specifics known on this. I found out because one prof emailed another about this, but actually copied me. When they realized this happened, they apologized, but they still meant the first email. I think I addressed their concerns, but I'll never know for sure.

To be honest I am a bit confused. Have they accepted you and then rejected you now? When you say "change of heart" what do you mean? If they don't want you there and have taken back there acceptance then what are we discussing here?

Confused82,
So sorry about that! Who would want to go somewhere that they feel unwanted? (regardless if its perceived or known).
BUT - how did you feel about this program before you heard/read/learned about them not wanting you to come? Were you excited/life was fantastic/etc? I would absolutely base your decision whether to attend on that. In my meeting/visitors day trip a few weeks back, I met with my assigned advisor and it was disasterous (she may as well have called me a ***** - it was THAT bad). Later in the day though I met another professor whom I loved. I'm going to that program (and of course changing my advisor ASAP!). I also think you have the upper hand in the situation if they know you somehow found out (at least I would feel like a jerk if I were them). Just my 2 cents...

Epi - it's really great to hear your thoughts on this. I had decided to go there before this happened. I'm still mulling it over, but it's really good to hear how everyone else feels.

I don't understand the difference between being an MPH student and MS/PhD student in this situation; I think the faculty relationship is very important even for MPH students. I honestly don't know if I would go to a school that didn't want me. When I got my acceptance to a program (that I eventually turned down), it was after the visit day so I knew I was accepted after someone else declined. Knowing that had some impact on my decision. But then again I don't know the details of your situation. It may be something that lingers in the back of your mind, but that doesn't equate negative outcomes, it could in fact provide you with motivation.

Most MPH programs do not require a thesis. That is what they were referring to. If you are doing a thesis then your entire future is pretty dependent on the faculty. Most schools only require a thesis/dissertation for a MS or PhD

Confused - that is really unprofessional of the faculty, and to be quite honestly, I would look elsewhere. Professors can make or break your academic experience; if they are treating you that way before you even matriculate, I would seriously reconsider that particular program. You want to be surrounded by people who respect and welcome you - and who genuinely want you to succeed - not profs who discourage your attendance at the school.

That is really unprofessional. If it is just one professor, I wouldn't let it stop you from attending your dream school. There are lots of other professors who are not so thoughtless. Also, though I didn't read the email, I suppose there is the chance that the comment was out of context and actually had a different meaning.

If, however, you think it is indicative of the atmosphere of the school, then I would reconsider.

Would you feel comfortable talking to someone in your department about this? or asking this professor why she/he made the comment(s)?

Wow, that's a pretty hard situation and a bad move on the professor's part. Initially, if there was any indication that the school didn't want me, I would be reluctant to attend. If you don't have any other viable school options, though, I think you ultimately will have to try to make do unless you're willing to wait another year to apply elsewhere.

How much time do you anticipate spending with the negative professor? If it's unlikely that you'll have to interact much with him/her, you should be able to avoid this person as needed. You'll have to analyze for yourself how bad the unintended criticism was. Everyone has a different threshold for what they're willing to accept. Good luck!