Would you go to medical school if you were in my shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNineTime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I say anything, I want to be clear. I'm not trying to make anyone upset. I just genuinely want some advice, so I came here to you guys and girls.

This is my situation. I have a 30 on the MCAT and a 3.91 GPA. I have shadowed, volunteered, done research, etc etc.

But here's the elephant in the room- I have a trust that was setup for me, and it has 8 digits in it. I receive well into the 6 figures in "salary" per year.

As a physician, we all know the pay is pretty good, but it does not add anything to my life.

I know most people on here are probably in medicine because they are altruistic. I myself love helping others no doubt, and am generally altruistic too.

But I'm just confused right now. I need some advice. I was going to ask the doctor I shadowed but got cold feet.

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go. Personally, I have many other interests that I would love to pursue, such as getting a Ph.D. and becoming a professor or lecturer. It would be great to have financial security and have my dreams, but it's just not the case. Being realistic and chasing your dreams are not mutually exclusive. A balance is key, but for your case, just find something else you love to do. I am sure you would be just as satisfied and wouldn't need to go through the grueling training process.

Reactions: 1 user
But here's the elephant in the room- I have a trust that was setup for me, and it has 8 digits in it. I receive well into the 6 figures in "salary" per year.

As a physician, we all know the pay is pretty good, but it does not add anything to my life.

there's the answer to your question. Manage the trust and never look back.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before I say anything, I want to be clear. I'm not trying to make anyone upset. I just genuinely want some advice, so I came here to you guys and girls.

This is my situation. I have a 30 on the MCAT and a 3.91 GPA. I have shadowed, volunteered, done research, etc etc.

I know most people on here are probably in medicine because they are altruistic. I myself love helping others no doubt, and am generally altruistic too.

But I'm just confused right now. I need some advice. I was going to ask the doctor I shadowed but got cold feet.

If you think money will be the only thing that being a Physician will add to your life, then don't get into medicine. There are many other ways to make a pretty 6 figure salary without all the stress, and in your case there is no stress at all.
I will say that having a lot of money without a purpose for your life, gets pretty boring pretty fast. So take the time to figure out what you are really passionate about...

Reactions: 1 users
How will you spend your time?

i personally wouldn't feel accomplished in life. 20 years down the road you don't want to be asking yourself what if

If I were in your shoes, I'd likely do an MD/PhD program. My calling is science and I've always said that even if I won the lottery, I'd still get an MD. You're in a situation many envy; while most have to find some sort of balance between passion and financial/lifestyle career, you can pretty much do solely passion. I myself, have a passion for science so a PhD/MD program to become a physician scientist would be my "passion" field but being a physician in a clinical setting would better provide me with the lifestyle I want while still be a career I'd love.
As for you, if your true passion is to be a physician, go to medical school. You may even be able to work for Doctors Without Borders or something like that and still live a very comfortable lifestyle.

The best advice I've ever heard from an ER physician I work with: "If you can think of anything you'd rather do than practice medicine, do that instead".

I wouldn't have gone. t would do something shorter (read training) that fits better with part-time work and some of the finer hobbies in life while managing the account.

There. Said it.

If you don't have the motivation, you're not going to succeed.

I love medicine, even when I hate it and my life (it's like marriage). Now you have the luxury of paying for school and being able to get out if you DON'T like it. Debt is why people stay in medicine even when it's the wrong choice, and you have the luxury of making a wrong choice. Go for it.

Reactions: 7 users

Can you envision yourself doing anything else in life OP?

You have your answer. :)

I think the answer is: do what you want to do.

Also be careful who you marry.

That's all the advice I've got.

Reactions: 15 users
I think the answer is: do what you want to do.

Also be careful who you marry.

That's all the advice I've got.

As a guy who just recently got engaged, I like your second point ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely go to med school in that case. Live like a king while in school (or at least extremely comfortably), treat all your classmates to a good time, and graduate debt free. Take control of your career by setting up a practice without fear of financial ruin. Sweet

Reactions: 8 users
Oh and as far as altruism goes, well... I'm doing this because i like to work and i like to operate. So...

Don't do it. Just don't. Unless you're an emotional masochist, there is no reason to go to medical school with a trust that size. Enjoy your life for those of us that cannot.

Reactions: 4 users
As a guy who just recently got engaged, I like your second point ;)

I know a lot of rich people and I don't know a lot of rich people still with the first person they married.

If you end up going to med school live okay, fall in love and don't reveal the extent of your situation until you want to settle down!

I know a lot of rich people and I don't know a lot of rich people still with the first person they married.

If you end up going to med school live okay, fall in love and don't reveal the extent of your situation until you want to settle down!

I can assure you I am not rich :( lol

I know a lot of both so it's more of "find a keeper" I guess.
Despite all the divorce statistics I only know a few divorced docs and I know a lot of docs!
I come from a religious background (so do the docs I know) though so maybe that plays a role :confused:

I can assure you I am not rich :( lol

I know a lot of both so it's more of "find a keeper" I guess.
Despite all the divorce statistics I only know a few divorced docs and I know a lot of docs!
I come from a religious background (so do the docs I know) though so maybe that plays a role :confused:

Oh I was talking to OP!

I don't know many divorced docs but when I said rich people I meant 8-9 figures like OP.

You would be foolish to go into any career that puts a big liability target on your back.

Unless it is your intention to go into medicine and become a researcher never seeing a single patient, this is absolutely the wrong move.

A trust will provide you with some degree of asset protection until you reach a certain age...after that you will be a sheep for the lawyers to slaughter.

If I hit the lotto tomorrow I would quit immediately and hire a locums to finish out my contract.

Only go if you truly have the passion for medicine. I have a setup like you, OP, but I'm doing medicine because I love it and because frankly I'd feel like degenerate scum if I just relaxed when I could practice medicine. But if you don't feel that way and don't love medicine, then find something else to pursue

Oh I was talking to OP!

I don't know many divorced docs but when I said rich people I meant 8-9 figures like OP.

My bad. Yeah I guess he would have to worry about it! I never had that problem. it was always my good looks.. :D

Join a think tank, foundation, or be a mad scientist/dreamer where you can impact people on a larger scale/higher level.

OP the answer is very simple.

If you're going into medicine strictly for money then it's absolutely NOT worth it. You are already financially secure and should look into pursuing something you're passionate about.

If you really do love medicine because you can make a difference in the lives of others, as cheesy as that might sound, then go for it. Medicine is not just about financial security, some doctors genuinely love their job because of the difference they make. Personally money means almost nothing to me. If I was told today that physicians will make < $100k, I would still pursue it since this is truly where my passion lies. I can't imagine doing anything else in my life. Medicine fulfills the reason, the why behind my life.

Mark Twain once said,
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Reactions: 14 users
If you're doubting going I wouldn't even bother. Manage your finances properly and enjoy life.

You said it wouldn't add anything to your life so there's your answer. Find a field that DOES add something to your life and pursue it. You don't have to worry about finances so just worry about finding something to do in your time that will make you happy.

With one of those six-figure checks as a donation and your stats, you could go to Harvard Med School.

Reactions: 2 users
That would be my dream come true...I could practice medicine and not charge the patients who couldnt pay, didnt have insurance, or were under insured. That is my dream...to open a clinic and give it away to anyone who needs it.

That would be my dream come true...I could practice medicine and not charge the patients who couldnt pay, didnt have insurance, or were under insured. That is my dream...to open a clinic and give it away to anyone who needs it.

You say that now... but when the reality of the tens of thousands of dollars you have to spend monthly on payroll, bills, equipment, and more hits you you'll think otherwise. If only it were that easy to help people.

If I were in your shoes, this is probably what I would spend my time doing.
ski-600x399.jpeg

Do something easier that doesn't require delayed gratification
you have means so there's no point in wasting your youth learning to stop unhealthy people from killing themselves with bad choices

If medicine is something you're really interested in and you'd like to practice in the future, then go. If you end up not liking it, then drop out; you are losing chump change. Otherwise, with that kind of money, I have no doubt you will be able to find fulfillment in something else. Traveling, charity work, or the wild party life... Whatever it is, medicine doesn't have to be the only thing in life that will ever satisfy your need for fulfillment and satisfaction.

If I were in your shoes, this is probably what I would spend my time doing.
View attachment 188029

That's a nice picture of me...

but yeah, what else are you going to do with your time?

I had a classmate who had a similar situation. It must be nice to fly first class and stay at 5 star hotels to your residency interviews then complain on facebook that "THIS IS THE WORST FIVE STAR HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT!!!!!"

I knew that I had to become a physician when I realized that the only thing that I could imagine doing if I won the lottery was to go to medical school. If I were in your position, and I had so much money that I was set for life, my dream come true would be to go to medical school and become a primary care physician. I won't ever have kids. I don't care at all about nice houses, cars, vacations, etc. I live a fairly ascetic lifestyle well within my means. I just bought my first car this year, and it is older than many of my classmates, and I don't like traveling. All I want in life is to study medicine and use what I learn to help other people.

But that is me.

You are you.

You are in the position that you can do whatever you want for a living because you love it, not because you need the money. So, do you love medicine? Are you passionate about learning? What would you be willing to give up in order to do it? Is it more important to you than the sacrifices that it would require? Only you can answer that. I am happy for you that you have the good fortune to be able to make this decision.

You do need something to do. Work is good for you. Figure out what work pulls you out of bed in the morning, and embrace your freedom to pursue whatever dreams you may have.

I knew that I had to become a physician when I realized that the only thing that I could imagine doing if I won the lottery was to go to medical school. If I were in your position, and I had so much money that I was set for life, my dream come true would be to go to medical school and become a primary care physician. I won't ever have kids. I don't care at all about nice houses, cars, vacations, etc. I live a fairly ascetic lifestyle well within my means. I just bought my first car this year, and it is older than many of my classmates, and I don't like traveling. All I want in life is to study medicine and use what I learn to help other people.

But that is me.

You are you.

You are in the position that you can do whatever you want for a living because you love it, not because you need the money. So, do you love medicine? Are you passionate about learning? What would you be willing to give up in order to do it? Is it more important to you than the sacrifices that it would require? Only you can answer that. I am happy for you that you have the good fortune to be able to make this decision.

You do need something to do. Work is good for you. Figure out what work pulls you out of bed in the morning, and embrace your freedom to pursue whatever dreams you may have.

Quoted because there's so much wisdom packed into this one post.

Do what you love that makes the world a better place and makes your life worthwhile. If you have the ability to go into medicine (sounds like you do), that's one very worthwhile option. But there are also many others.

It can be especially hard to choose when there are no constraints. Life limits the options available to most of us -- native intelligence, physical stamina, financial resources. You've got fewer limitations, so dream big and go for it! Whatever your 'it' may be--

Nah, I'd spend every day at the track racing supercars, maybe try and get into formula 1. It's not hard if you can afford to sponsor yourself. I'd probably dip my toes into various philanthropic endeavors as well, you know, after becoming a famous race car driver.

Have you considered MD/JD degree with an MBA? Medical law with a business mindset. I'm sure you can profit with the right decisions and networking with the right people.

OP might be a girl.

According to the miniature profile you get when you click on someone's username, OP is a girl.

You know, OP- you got to live your life for you. If medicine is your calling- do that. If it's not, do what you'd like.

I'm of the opinion that we are all here to perform a specific duty. That doesn't have to be a job, per se, but we all have something that we can contribute. Now, I can't answer whether or not it's your "duty", so to speak. That's your question to answer. :)

Chicks dig dudes with money.

Not all chicks.

Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me.

LOL one of my favorite parts of the whole movie.

I met a resident who was in the same financial situation as the OP.
The MD gives one credibility and the money provides the means to do as you please. It is a potent mix for someone interested in public policy or community service or any number of other advocations.

"Why did you decide to go to medical school?"
-I was bored, so I figured I might as well do something fun with my time.

Seriously a case of C=MD lol.

Seriously! That is why I am going to med school so I can leave a trust fund like that for my kids so they won't have to go to med school. Lol... Thank whoever left you that trust; they save you a lot of headache.

Last edited: