Would you guys live a life of boredom to do pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

statepharmagent

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how many of you pre pharm folks would be willing to live life in middle of nowhere...possibly forever? I am currently stuck in that situation and just wondering. Been working awhile as a hybrid/clinical rounding pharmacist in middle of nowhere and bored out of my mind. I seriously drive around randomly on weekends people watching since there's literally nothing to do around here. In the winter? forget it, indoors all day and shoveling snow to go work. This is not how i envisioned life in my 30s. It's so difficult to get a job and move back into city life. Getting experience to eventually move back is a myth for most part since it's so hard to get another job you want (or would do). I mean i can always add yet another state license (4 and counting) and try for another state, but quite frankly this is ridiculous. I am starting to accept this could be my life forever as depressing as it sounds.

So how many of you going into pharmacy will actually be satisfied to work and live forever in middle of nowhere for pharmacy? Be prepared guys it's a tough cold world out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just want to know how many of you pre pharm folks would be willing to live life in middle of nowhere...possibly forever? I am currently stuck in that situation and just wondering. Been working awhile as a hybrid/clinical rounding pharmacist in middle of nowhere and bored out of my mind. I seriously drive around randomly on weekends people watching since there's literally nothing to do around here. In the winter? forget it, indoors all day and shoveling snow to go work. This is not how i envisioned life in my 30s. It's so difficult to get a job and move back into city life. Getting experience to eventually move back is a myth for most part since it's so hard to get another job you want (or would do). I mean i can always add yet another state license (4 and counting) and try for another state, but quite frankly this is ridiculous. I am starting to accept this could be my life forever as depressing as it sounds.

So how many of you going into pharmacy will actually be satisfied to work and live forever in middle of nowhere for pharmacy? Be prepared guys it's a tough cold world out there.

Airport and 7/7 schedule bro.

Reactions: 1 user
I love living in the country. Pick up a cool gun hobby. Quit complaining.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those who plan to eventually work in SoCal, NYC, or any other saturated area, take note.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I love the small town too. The amount of money I saved living there vs living in a big city.... I hate the traffic, hate the higher COL. mind you, it's always something to do in bigger cities vs smaller ones and MUCH better food options.... but I'd much rather visit for vacations. Plus the peace of mind!! Where I used to stay, people died from ODs and car accidents and had a whomping 3 homicides all year. I got so comfortable that I would leave my bank card in the car (I was young and dumb in UG but it never got stolen).

But different people, different preferences...

Personally, for me it's not even about what city to work in. The thing is whatever job you landed out of school will likely be your job for a long long time if not forever. Usually it's crap positions that no one wanted or high turnover. Now these are filling up and you have to work in that toxic environment and suck it up because there are few jobs around and cant leave. Part of life is to start from the bottom and move on up. In pharmacy, that is extremely difficult and sometimes not even possible anymore. Most of my classmates are miserable as a pharmacist not because of boredom, but because they are unable to switch to different jobs and are stuck in their bad situations. Even with experience, it's so difficult to get another job. It took me 6 years to get out of my last job situation. Those pharmacists that never applied to another job wont know.

OP, I'd live a life of boredom to get out of pharmacy! At least you have a hospital job. I'm stuck in retail hell with petty techs trying to write me up. How about that for a "professional" degree holder. I rather be in your position dude, boring city but still at least you dont get treated less than dirt. Can't wait til the day i pay off my loans and get out of this horrible profession, if it still considered a profession.

Thank you statepharm and other pharmacists chiming in. You truly have reaffirmed my decision to not pursue pharmacy. I was wavering for a long time but posts like these along with what my friends have told me about pharmacists they know helped me move on to another path. It is truly helpful and thanks for your honesty.

OP, I'd live a life of boredom to get out of pharmacy! At least you have a hospital job. I'm stuck in retail hell with petty techs trying to write me up. How about that for a "professional" degree holder. I rather be in your position dude, boring city but still at least you dont get treated less than dirt. Can't wait til the day i pay off my loans and get out of this horrible profession, if it still considered a profession.

A lot of the new grads will end up in retail hell anyway in the middle of nowhere, 1500+ miles from their family and friends. They hold on to the hope of moving back to their preferred metro area after they gain experience but they'll be competing not only with thousands of others who are also trying to move back to the area but also new grads from the 5 new schools that just popped up. That is assuming that those positions in BFE aren't already taken already.

Being far from your home where you don't know anyone can also make you miserable.

A lot of the new grads will end up in retail hell anyway in the middle of nowhere, 1500+ miles from their family and friends. They hold on to the hope of moving back to their preferred metro area after they gain experience but they'll be competing not only with thousands of others who are also trying to move back to the area but also new grads from the 5 new schools that just popped up. That is assuming that those positions in BFE aren't already taken already.

Being far from your home where you don't know anyone can also make you miserable.

You're absolutely right! My friend's cousin has been working for 5 years and trying to get back to the area she was from and the district manager for her retail chain told her the waiting list is about 100 deep and counting. I don't think people realize how crazy it is to try to even get back. I'm just glad to realize this. My future happiness is not something I would be willing to risk for that slim chance of pharmacy knowing all this beforehand.