1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Would you guys want to fast-forward your life?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UBCvan, Jun 12, 2008.

?

Would you guys want to fast-forward your life?

1. YES

24 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. NO

65 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. UBCvan

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Would you guys want to fast-forward your life-at least for a small period of time?

I really do...because i'm really tired of this pre-med thing...studying all the time and not enjoying my life....

at least i want to fast-forward it to the point that i see i'm studying medicine...it would really suck if i fast-forward and see no admission...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Not a chance. Life is way too precious to skip.

4. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

:laugh: It's summer. I'm only taking ochem & not the 18 credits I did last last summer. I'm being well paid and have a totally flexible time schedule doing the same thing I've gladly volunteered to do for the past year. I have time to get BORED, hang out with friends, go places, do things. It's been more than 2 years since my life was this relaxed. NO! I do not want to fast forward time. I want to slow it down.

5. Charles English

Charles English faithless, the wonderboy
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    not a chance.

as frustrating as things can seem sometimes, time ultimately goes by way too fast if you ask me.

i'm with Humid, more S L O W T I M E

6. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Absolutely not. You only get so many days to live, so I enjoy each one, one day at a time. Slow life down, don't speed it up. I had a great time at med school this year, met some great people, did not get stressed out about exams, just had a good life. I will keep doing the same, each day, suck the life out of each sweet day, like sucking on the bones after you have eaten the meat off the the ribs, trying to find that last lick of barbecue sauce on the tip of your tongue, that sweet last bit of tangy sauce.

7. wisconsindoctor

Removed

Why on earth would you want to fast-foward your life? Sure you may want to be in medical school now, or be a doctor right now, or be married now, or have two kids now, or be rich now, or be retired now, but the process of life is what makes life so great. The misery, the hatred, the love, the cries, the loughs, the injuries, the dating, the sex, the getting bashed, the depression, the high moments (excitement and druge related), playing sports, working, sleeping, eating, travel, etc, etc. These are all things about life you want to embrace.

If you see no admission, big deal. You work on improving your application, work, and apply the next year. It is as simple as that.

8. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i will break the unanimity you guys have got going on and would like to say that i would like to fast forward but a week or so. this personal statement will be the death of me, or will at least give me an ulcer before im done with it. and my freaking pre med dean only meets with students once a week and her schedule fills up a week in advance. i want to hide under a rock somewhere right now

9. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i just cast the 14th vote as "no" to tie it at 7-7.
    i say no because i want to live like a normal human being for at least one year before med school starts. after that i realize that freedom is going to be a rare commodity, so im going to take advantage of everything i can right now!

ps: has somebody been watching the show "click" with adam sandler????

10. wisconsindoctor

Removed

That right there is the point of not fast-forwarding life. You want to experience this experience. Sure it sucks, but that is type of experience is what makes life so great. Think about professional atheletics. Do you think the Lakers or Celtics just want to fast-foward life so they can get their rings already and enjoy the off-season? You need to earn it! The process of earning it is what develops memories and stories.

11. Nilf

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You sound very stressed and unhappy with your current predicament. My advice is to abandon your (pre)medical career.

Here is why:

The 'premed thing', 'studying all the time and not enjoying life', and stress and competition that you are experiencing currently is nothing compared what awaits you during medschool, residency, fellowship, and most of all, if you become the attending.

You are going to be a professional student your WHOLE LIFE. Medicine is not a 'job'--it's a lifestyle. The system will train you in such way that you will feel guilty when you're not studying or thinking about medicine. For instance: my residency is relatively laid back, but every day after I get home I feel compelled to do extra work and push myself harder, even when I'm on vacation. If you stop, you're likely to spiral downward, and eventually fail as a medical professional.

A word about competition:

When I got my acceptance letter to medical school, my first thought was that of a relief that I don't have to pad my CV anymore, and that the mad competition is over. Boy was I wrong. To succeed in medschool (almost all exams were curved) and get the residency of my choice I had to climb to a whole new level of competitiveness. But eventually I succeded, I've matched and graduated, and once again, I thought: 'This is it, I made it, no more stress about outcompeting my peers'. Dead wrong. The competition for the fellowship of my choice was fiercer than ever. Yet I suceeded in the end. However, my biggest challenge of being an independent attending is still ahead of me.

In short, if you're miserable right now, just keep in mind that the path will get much rockier. Something to ponder.

12. TehDoc

TehDoc What a pain...
    2+ Year Member

Fast forward and stay the same age, yeah. Otherwise, no thank you sir.

13. 167649

Medical Student
    I would give almost anything to be a college student again. Come MS, residency, job, spouse, you'll be kicking yourself to have even thought of this.

14. TehDoc

TehDoc What a pain...
    2+ Year Member

:laugh::laugh: I don't doubt you. (No offense to anyone)

15. devilpup

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would definitely fast-forward, but only if I could rewind too!

This reminds me of the movie Click

16. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, when I was in college I was a frat boy doing the things that frat boys do. Now I am a med student doing the things that med students do. But, like I said, take it a day at a time, enjoy the moment, all you have really, is the moment, until the lights go out and your movie is over. Black and blank screen. And if no one is watching, well, that is the end of the movie.

17. wisconsindoctor

Removed

lol. Rewind and fix our mistakes and then fast-forward the present time, lol. :thumbup:

18. 167649

Medical Student
    no no, Spaceballs:

"Preparing to fast forward."
    "Fast forward."
    "Fast forwarding sir."

19. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm trying to get married within the next 1-2 years, so I don't think I want to skip over the honeymoon ifyouknowwhatImean.

:hardy:

20. 167649

Medical Student

1. Get married
    2. Go on honeymoon
    3. Wait for death

21. ninjapenguin

5+ Year Member

If anything, I'd like to rewind back to the days where my biggest concern was deciding between video games and television after my homework.

22. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    not sure fast-forwarding to medical school is the way to get out of studying all the time and start enjoying life...just gonna throw that out there.... :smuggrin:

23. Quix

Quix Herr Professor
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    No. Time moves faster as you get older.

24. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah, I'll bite. I am in post-pre-med pre-M1 limbo, and IMO I have been here a good 7 months longer than I would have liked. But I am content with my life at present. Just bored out of my mind.

25. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    why all this preparing? always preparing, just a waste of my time. Ludicrous Speed! GO!

crash

26. voirlesetoiles

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, sometimes. Especially if the remote control also has the other standard buttons. It's like that movie.... click?? flick? flip? adam sandler? I don't remember. haha.

27. UBCvan

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

the reason why i wanna fast-forward this "pre-med thing" is that i'm not enjoying what we have to do to get into med school...for example i hate MCAT for having physics and verbal in it...i dont like them(i love the chem and bio tho)....or doing volunteering job that i dont like..why do them in the first place?because interviewers like it...why do research that i'm not interested in?because interviewers like it....

reason why i think Medical school is no problem is that i love the subject...i love "health professions"..i love it no matter how difficult it is...

i may be wrong..

28. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Well fast-forwarding TO medical school is entirely different than fast-fowarding BEYOND medical school...

29. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Well, THERE'S your problem. You're not living YOUR life. You're living the life you think you should to please "the adcomms". You may not feel like you have real control over what you get to do now. I choose activities because they are things that *I* want to do, and I'd do them no matter what my future plans were. I think that makes a big difference in whether or not a person enjoys being in the Now. We can't choose everything, but we still have a heck of a lot of control over how we spend most of our time.

30. DenaliView

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No fast forwarding would not be for me. While no doubt their are days that can be frustrating and rather taxing I am really trying to make this whole pre-med experience be enjoyable and work for me. I see it as an opportunity to do a lot of the things that I would want to do and cam never find the time to fit in, such as volunteering. I always love the idea of being a volunteer to a cause I truly care about but when push comes to shove their are many weeks that life gets hectic and I just can't find the time. Honestly I probably will regret saying this later but I am really looking forward to med-school (mostly the clinical portion) and residency. I honestly think it will be a blast (tons of hard work and incredibly long days but still fun). Will see when I actually get there.... :laugh:

31. ModernAlchemist

ModernAlchemist Transform and Transcend
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sometimes I'm over it, but I KNOW I'm going to miss undergrad in med school. People say these are the best years of your life. They're right. If you're not having fun, you're messing up.

32. newyorkblork

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As stated, I think I would love to fast-forward if I could rewind... that way I would be 100% sure of whether or not the doctor life is for me. Even having researched and observed it, I'm still not sure... being there would make a heckuva difference :)

If you're not enjoying your life... you need to find out why, and fix it. I seriously doubt you're going to suddenly find passion and clarity in the realm of medicine, and realize that it was all you were waiting for in your undergraduate years. If you're seriously not enjoying yourself at all in what are generally considered the final years before real responsibility hits you in the face, you're doing something you'll regret.

33. DBR

DBR
    2+ Year Member

Wanting to fast forward your life indicates that there is a problem in the way that you are living your life.

34. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would like to fastforward the rest of the summer through studying for Step 1 and taking Step 1 and go straight to beginning rotations. Studying for Step 1 absolutely sucks and is not one of those things I would miss.

Other than that, the answer is no. Life should be enjoyed at the pace of life.

35. ACSurgeon

ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon

Attending Physician

I understand the frustration of not knowing whether or not you will be accepted to a med school, and while it is nice to know, do NOT expect to start enjoying your life during med school, or residency for that matter... It IS worth it though...

36. ACSurgeon

ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon

Attending Physician
    There is a lot more than 2 to go...

37. jzyu

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    fast forward for...6 hours...by which time i'll be done with my very last undergraduate final! (my philosophy class)

38. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Gimme a pause button so I can run amuck without using time. :p

39. bcat85

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, haven't you seen click!? But seriously.. I wouldn't

40. drelizabeth292

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would so do it! especially right now that im doing 3 full lengths a week and wish that i was done studying for the mcat. :scared:

41. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't want time to pass, we have so little of it to work with. I would like however to change my position and be starting med school this fall instead of applying!

42. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Heck no. I might not actually get into med school, and I might not be the smartest person at my school, but I'm having the time of my life. And if I don't get into med school, that's not going to be the end of the world. Like John Lennon said, Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. I have a great life, going to school at a place I love, sailing, taking fire classes and hanging out at my firehouse when I'm home...the list goes on. Find something that makes you truly happy. Life is too short to fast forward. :luck:

43. Livingapparatus

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Instead of fast forwading I would rather not have to sleep ever.

I hate sleep, waste of life

44. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sleep is my favorite leisure activity.

45. Charles English

Charles English faithless, the wonderboy
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

ooh, me too. sleep has been my most consistent hobby throughout my life. seriously. i adore it. on a side note though, i hardly ever remember my dreams. that sucks.

<completely off topic>:)

46. janderson001

Removed

Stop whining. If you really got fast-forwarded to where you're studying medicine, then you'd want to go back to premed then, cause med school is much worse.

47. Hyperstudyosis

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Sometimes I want to fast-forward my life. Right now I'm really wanting it to be the fall so I could be in school again. Maybe I'm a geek, but I love being in school. Anyhow, whenever I have wished to fast-forward my life, I always regret rushing things. Life goes so fast anyhow.

48. Bahadur

Bahadur Cookies! nom nom nom
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not a fast-forward per se...

maybe a sneak peek or a short trailer? So at least i can know that there is some certainty and maybe prepare? (read: freak out).

49. UBCvan

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

i love sleep...was wondering if i should list that under EC activities..:D

50. Tenk

Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What happened to then?
    We passed it.
    When?
    Just now.
    When will then be now?