Would you not hire someone who worked at small smiles or kool smiles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natura

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent graduate and got a position at small smiles. But a dentist I know said that the private practitioners wouldn't hire someone who worked at those chain dental office.

But I cannot stay any longer as jobless and only opportunity given was at small smiles. I don't have a residency experience. And I thought I would build up cofidence and speed working at small smiles. I'm planning to work there only 1-1.5 years and get a next job as an associate at a private practice.

My question is why the dentists would avoid those applicants who worked at chain dental offices. And what would you recommend to do to make my CV look good even with the job history at small smiles?

The other question is for the dentists who work(ed) at small smiles. Do you like/dislike your experience at small smiles and what's your two cents for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a recent graduate and got a position at small smiles. But a dentist I know said that the private practitioners wouldn't hire someone who worked at those chain dental office.

But I cannot stay any longer as jobless and only opportunity given was at small smiles. I don't have a residency experience. And I thought I would build up cofidence and speed working at small smiles. I'm planning to work there only 1-1.5 years and get a next job as an associate at a private practice.

My question is why the dentists would avoid those applicants who worked at chain dental offices. And what would you recommend to do to make my CV look good even with the job history at small smiles?

The other question is for the dentists who work(ed) at small smiles. Do you like/dislike your experience at small smiles and what's your two cents for me?

Don't worry about your next associate job, work on saving up to start/purchase your own office.

Don't worry about your next associate job, work on saving up to start/purchase your own office.

This is good advice...

Also, isn't Small Smiles going through Bankruptcy...not sure how that would play into it, but couldn't that play into your decision to work for them right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not hire anyone who worked at Small Smiles or any of the others.

They have been conditioned to aggressive treatment plans that are not in line with my philosophy.

They would be a high risk employee, susceptible to future lawsuits from former patients for many years to come. This would hurt my practice in many ways - loss of work hours, taint the good reputation I have in my community, etc.

I have ran into situations already where we just couldn't get malpractice and tail insurance issues resolved. It's becoming harder than ever to get their past employees covered. Even in their own organization, the current dentists working there, have no idea how little coverage they have and the enormous amount of "deductible" so to speak they are personally liable for.

These places have tainted our profession almost beyond repair. Let's not leave out places like Aspen either, same problems there as well.

Not going to comment too much on this post, but you have been given some very good advice above. All I can say is I have a few colleagues who have worked for Small Smiles, and they are reliable friends I've known for years and NONE of their stories were good. One was even caught up in a lawsuit with the company. Take your time, do some research and if possible, keep looking for something that may work a little better for you. I've learned in the number of years that I have practiced that sometimes it's best to "suffer" a little while through unemployment, make the right decision and be happy than to have a job and be locked into something that you regret. Best wishes.