kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
Just curious.. if you had two choices, pitt or NW, where would you go? Pitt is a bit more prestigious, but not so much that it really matters. And northwestern is in chicaco, and maybe their caliber of students would be a bit more challenging. I don't know. You?

mws99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
Status
I would go to UMich over both of those.;)

But seriously, I think the curricula are very similar and you can't go wrong with either. I think Northwestern makes you live in dorms though, that is kind of strange.

SunnyS81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Although I'm applying to both, I don't think I'm well informed enough to make that decision at this point. I really like Chicago, but Pitt's students are supposed to be awesome people. I haven't seen Northwestern's match list, but I would expect Northwestern to at least be on par with Pitt in residency placement.

Why do you inquire? NU hasn't even started interviewing yet I don't think, so I doubt you are seriously struggling with the decision.

Take care,

INeedAdvice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by kreno
Just curious.. if you had two choices, pitt or NW, where would you go? Pitt is a bit more prestigious, but not so much that it really matters. And northwestern is in chicaco, and maybe their caliber of students would be a bit more challenging. I don't know. You?
They seem very similar. Both good schools....neither one is Harvard or Stanford, but neither one is a lower tiered MCP-H type school (not that there's anything wrong with a lower tiered school).

All in all, you can't go wrong with either one.

Regarding which one is more prestigious, they're almost the same, however, I'd have to give the edge to Northwestern. Pitt doesn't have the reputation that it should have in medicine and it doesn't have much of a reputation *outside* of medicine (not that reputation counts for anything). :D

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2000
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by mws99
I would go to UMich over both of those.;)

But seriously, I think the curricula are very similar and you can't go wrong with either. I think Northwestern makes you live in dorms though, that is kind of strange.
NW does NOT make you live in dorms. Plenty of M1s do, but many move out after the first year. There's a lot of subsidized housing around here that's quite affordable.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2001
infront of an iMac
Visit site
Status
I applied to both. Pitt comes across much more 'my style' on paper. However, NW is in Chicago, which is a big plus to me over Pittsburgh. Also NW you can do an MPH in the same 4 years as the MD. Thats another big plus for me. So the answer is - I'd have to visit them to be able to separate them at this stage. Both sound good (but expensive!).

CatsAreKillers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by agent
I would go to NW.

but then im partial to Chicago.

Honestly if I had my pick of any school in chicago id go to loyola
Between Loyola, NW, and Pitt, I'd pick them in that order.

But if I had to select among any *medical* school in either Pgh or Chicago, I'd go to U. of Chicago. :D

USeF

sunny L.A.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2001
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
home.uchicago.edu
Status
Originally posted by CatsAreKillers
Between Loyola, NW, and Pitt, I'd pick them in that order.

But if I had to select among any *medical* school in either Pgh or Chicago, I'd go to U. of Chicago. :D
3 cheers for U of Chicago, Pritzker S.O.M.!

hip, hip.. HOORAY! :D

mocdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2002
Visit site
Status
I picked Pitt over Northwestern for two main reasons. Chicago is a great
place to visit, but not the sort of place I was ready to move to (a personal
thing I guess). More important was the sort of students that I encountered
at each school. Without saying bad things about the Northwestern students
I just liked the Pitt people much better.

As far as rankings, Pitt has been slowly climbing its way up and is ranked
by US News as slightly higher. The students here are amazingly smart, and
if you do well here, at pitt, there is almost no residency that you won't have
a shot at. The same can be said for NW. Almost everyone loves Pittsburgh.

One plus, if it is your thing, is that Pittsburgh is the organ transplant capital
of the US, if not the world, which makes for some interesting opportunities
for med students if you seek them out.

Good luck with your choice, but the final decision should be to follow your
gut.

Classof07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
I, for one, know that Pitt has a great transplant program and is nationally known for at least that. I have a few friends in medical school there and they seem to like it okay. I was just at a recent talk given by Dr. T Fishbein who is in charge of their growing Small Bowel Tx program and he said that only 4 centers are really doing this type of thing seriously (Nebraska, Miami, Pitt, and I can't remember the fourth.). The faculty are really impressive but I don't know too much about the school and since I'm not applying to Northwestern, I'll shut up now.

vm26

15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2002
West coast
Status
Attending Physician
Unless your folks are shelling out the cash I'd go public state over both, why take a loan for 120K when u can take one for 60K? Unless you're dealing with Harvard or Hopkins, it doesn't really make a difference, your residency will be based on your board scores, grades, LOR's during your clinicals

Thewonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
Agree. Take whichever school that gives you more $$ and run!!!

Within medical research, Pitt has better name than NWU. Don't know how that will enter residency director's mind.